Other forms of momentum - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2001, 08:26 AM
Yak Guy

Doogue I know a guy who sells Cobra kayaks at a good discount you can find them on the internet to check them out.He also sells accessories at a good discount.Let me know and I will get ahold of him for you.
joev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2001, 08:28 AM
Yak Guy

Here is the link http://www.cobrakayaks.com/
Old 11-14-2001, 10:19 AM

A kite, Hmmmmm let me know how that works out for you. Maybe the weed wacker with a plastic prop on it. Has anyone seen This If I mounted a prop on it I'd get a swamp boat effect and frozen Marguritas for all after the trip .
I really like the pungo but if I were a thinner angler and was not going to fish out of the boat the Manteo is looking real good. Sometimes I wish the cockpit on the pungo was a bit shorter in a chop, if you put the skirt on you're all set but that's a pain. The larger opening has advantages though, getting in and out for one, accessing the drybag, being able to move your legs around. For the surf I've got to think the SOT would be king as long as you've got your equipment tied down but the large opening in the pungo does allow the mandatory quick exit after surfing in. I've actually gotten back into the pungo in water over my head, not fun, not pretty but here's how it goes. When I first got the yak I practiced in a lake and decided I should see what would happen if I dumped in deep water. Getting out was not a problem and I only got about an inch or two of water in the boat, I should also mention I was not wearing waders. After wrestling with the yak for about 10 minutes I almost went for the paddle float method but I did find a way to get back in without it and without filling the boat with H2O. Not easy, Not pretty but it works.

Get behind the boat and push down on the stern.
Get you chest on the stern and grab the back of the cockpit behind the seat.
Shimmy up onto the yak using the gunwales as hand holds and remain parallel to the boat.
Once your centered over the seat straddle the boat and drop in.

I think the advice many give on selecting a fly rod applies to selecting a boat. Try as many as you can and in the conditions your likely to use it.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:08 PM

Now I know what I can use my weed wacker for!!
Old 11-14-2001, 04:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
JimW brings up the most important point, try as many as you can.... especially in windy choppy water. many are wonderful on a calm day and out and out suck in the real world of saltwater fishing. the walden scout in a wonderful pond/calm stream yak.... but lookout in the wind! striblue is a big advocate of the tribalance. the eddyline sandpiper was a beauty... but at $920.00 without any deck rigging and a cupholder that pushed into my crotch, no thanks! the big opening in the pungo is a great stripping basket, the spray skirt is an unconventional one... you mount it on the yak(normal ones you put on like a skirt,thus the name) it has a velcro closure. it is not as watertight as the traditional ones, but more versital because you can put it on, open it, and when the weather sours velcro up. Tom D
Old 11-14-2001, 06:16 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Joev - thanks for the offer on the Cobra yaks. Throughout the winter I am going to drool over yaks and in the spring I will test a few and then make a purchase. I will evaluate the Cobra yaks in the Spring and then I might give you a call.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 11-14-2001, 09:13 PM
President of CAC

One of the benefits of the Tri-balance for me is that you can sit up out of the cockpit. That is ,sit up on the edge back of the cockpit with your feet inside the cockpit.. Good for moving around and also paddling.. Also, I will cast from this position and If I have to move to another spot I will just drop down into the cockpit to paddle. On very calm days I can pretty much stay seated on th lip.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
Juro, also don't forget, as you get into yaking, you'll enjoy being in it more(I do) . and you can frequently get right into a school if they aren't spooky. so casting is in the 20-30 ft range... fun to have all the birds close in too. Tom D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.