Suggestion Box - 2006 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Suggestion Box - 2006

Besides some great suggestions already made by the moderators, I'm curious what you'd like to see in the FORUM thru the new year.

I'll be cautious to avoid making promises that can't be kept but it will be great to hear what people are thinking.

So... what would you like to see in 2006?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2006, 07:06 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Girls first!! Just kidding guys!!

I would be great to have a little corner for daily river reports during the fishing season...
( as a sponsor, I would be willing to update daily ( water conditions, etc..) on each river we fish.... ( Gaspé Area)

See you at the fly shows!!

Ann

Last edited by QuebecSporting; 01-02-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:18 PM

Finances

Good evening,
Another year brings another years worth of bills for the Forum. I appreciate the information, story's, and friendship, among other things, that the Forum offers. I think now would be a good time to set up a payment option for us to help "cover the costs"! Can we achieve that Bro?
Thanks Juro + Company for keeping the Forum alive for another year!
Time to "Buck Up" folks!

Deerhawk
Old 01-03-2006, 03:01 AM
CantAnchorUs

Good tide charts!!!
Slinger
Old 01-03-2006, 07:17 AM

Great stuff - keep 'em coming!!
Old 01-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Fly chucker

Juro, I have to agree with DH's suggestion of a way to make donations to the site. Perhaps a simple Paypal button somewhere so that members can make an occasional donation, which might make a big difference over the course of the year.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:47 AM

I would hope to see a bit of thought direcrted towards the no-sponsor, no-link policy. I fully agree with the policy of giving sponsors an extra advantage, but for cases were there's no obvious lint to a site sponsor (i.e. the Ghanian charter) maybe we couold relax te policy a bit.

On a related line, I'm looking at Canadian salmon lodges for a two-week trip this summer. I would like to find the most suitable lodge, not the most suitable sponsoring lodge. Now, I'm definitely willing to give site sponsors extra consideration, but get the feeling that non-sponsors are suppressed. The end result is that I'm using other BBs's in my search. Is there a way to balance sponsors'needs with those of users wanting broadest representations of flyfishing opportunities?
Old 01-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Fly chucker

Per the linking to non-sponsors, I'll simply quote a response from juro in another recent thread:

"Josko -

You can always drop bob a PM or he can describe the company name without a direct hyperlink, and google will do the rest (as I am sure it often does).

We agree to sponsorships under the pretense that their investment will be protected in an environment free of competitive advertising, and hyperlinks are considered advertising.

But people are free to talk about anything short of advertising, which includes testimonials about products.

Hope that makes the information sharing easier. I plan to disable the automatic link feature after the next software upgrade so only deliberate hyperlinks will appear as some are probably unintentional."
Old 01-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Pullin' Thread

Since flyfishingforum and speypages have been two separate entities for the last year, how about a section devoted to spey casting, 2-hand rods, spey lines, etc.?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:32 PM

I agree with Josko on the non sponsor link. It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth not being able to freely talk about stuff and offer up url's when it's helpful.

I believe it hurts the site more than helps it. I enjoy the site but at some point, I'm sure I'll move on to other sites because I don't like having to edit myself or being edited.

The advertisers should look at it as just advertising and not look to even slightly control content and flow of well meant information on the actual site. And to be honest, it creates abit of resentment towards both the site and sponsors from me.

Last edited by griz; 01-03-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:52 PM

Hey I am open to suggestions... maybe we can work something out.

How much of the site costs and workload are you willing to take on? It's currently a free resource.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz
I agree with Josko on the non sponsor link. It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth not being able to freely talk about stuff and offer up url's when it's helpful.

I believe it hurts the site more than helps it. I enjoy the site but at some point, I'm sure I'll move on to other sites because I don't like having to edit myself or being edited.

The advertisers should look at it as just advertising and not look to even slightly control content and flow of well meant information on the actual site. And to be honest, it creates abit of resentment towards both the site and sponsors from me.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:53 PM

Josko - I hear ya.
I understand protecting the sponsors from getting slammed by the spammers that hit the site with post #1 touting their biz. That's a simple matter of clicking the delete button. Perhaps it's been taken too far. Maybe we should ask the sponsors but from the list I see - these folks don't need over protecting - they are first rate and they may even benefit from knowing their competition a little better.

I vote for bring back the links.

Take the dental repair products for example 'wet a hook'. A link is a lot easier than hitting google. Maybe I'd come back to this site because I new the link was handy.

Something to consider.

The fact that Josko is willing to give a sponsor extra consideration is to me what the sponsorship is all about. It's not an exclusive but if they are as good at something as a non-sponsor they get my fishing fund.

Quote:
We agree to sponsorships under the pretense that their investment will be protected in an environment free of competitive advertising, and hyperlinks are considered advertising.
Last I heard T&T and Sage were competitors and damm good ones, surely they both get a share of the buyers on this site.
I know there is a deal with action optics for no competitive sponsors, to my knowledge that doesn't mean you cannot speak of Maui Jim or Oakley. It's saying we shouldn't acknowledge the other fishing sites, most folks are hitting many boards. The one that provides the best experience is where they will return and post - I think links are an important part of that experience.

As far as fundraising goes - something like FFSW does with the once a year donation drive would help close the gap between sponsorships and the cost of running this place. I think the paypal button is a great idea.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:08 PM
resigned

A monthly 'Destinations' program enticing us to try fisheries new to most of us in other parts of the world. Even if though we may never make it there it is great reading and dreaming material. More "Destinations" articles please.

Phil
Old 01-03-2006, 08:07 PM

Hey Juro,

I don't think you would want my computer clueless self working on the website but I do kick in for good sites. There are incredible climbing sites in colorado and washington put together by private people that are tremendous resources. I respect that kind effort and view it as paying for a guide book.

I doubt I'll get an answer and no problem if so but what ARE the cost of running a website like this? Web hosting is dirt cheap these days...20,000mb of storage/1,000gb of monthly transfer for under $18 and many come with quality forums to add for free or a next to nothing annual fee. I realize there is a ton of effort setting stuff up but what other costs are incurred? Like I said I'm pretty clueless on this stuff and I'm really not trying to be a jerk here. It would just give me a better appreciation for the site.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:56 PM

I don't understand the hang up with links. If I posted that the Widow Makers Lodge in BC is terrific, they have great prices, good food and pretty guides. Who wouldn't know to google them? If there is further trouble finding them, a pm would be a few key strokes away. It's not as if this is an emergency. There is no rule saying that anyone can't recomend Capt. Blye, list his phone # and even recomend checking out his web site. I have posted many comercial, non sponsor guides, shops, lodges, gear and on and on. My ability to share information has not been diminished by the rules of the Forum.

I have an idea. What about a section on fishing with kids. A place where people can ask questions and share what works for them. I know that people already have posted questios, bt maybe it would be good to have them all in one place.

Last edited by Eddie; 01-03-2006 at 09:21 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.