Flexible rods... - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2006, 06:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Flexible rods...

Everything these days is all about fast action, but my favorite rod for trout fishing is my full flex 4 wt and I don't see myself ever going to a fast action. Am I alone here?

The progressive action of a full flex has several big advantages to me. First of all, I fish light tippets (for example, I got two 4 lb river smallmouths on 7X last summer). On a fast action I don't know if the tippet would have held, or if the knots would have held in that fine line.

The second reason I like the full flex rod is that you can load the rod very quickly and cast without really having to false cast much. This is a huge advantage in tight quarters and when you don't want to spook a trout by false casting over them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Kory

Send a message via AIM to BrookFishingMan
Moderate Action Rods

I agree I like the softer rods as well. They are much better for delicate presentations while dry fly fishing. They also throw a bigger loop which is nice for throwing tandem weighted nymph rigs. I do like a fast action rod for my sink tip and all streamer fishing though.

Kory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2006, 12:29 PM

medium rods

im with you on that, medium action rods are my choice. with the sage vps-lt or LL way up there, still wanting to try a paradigm or LPS from thomas&thomas
also still looking to buy a Sp #7.

they just deliver the fly better, its also easier to rollcast.
easy to cast open loops, but also tight loops, and of course the rods bend deeper on the fish, which makes for good sport

greetings
huib geselschap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.