Ultimate Trout Fly Reel - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Kory

Send a message via AIM to BrookFishingMan
Exclamation Ultimate Trout Fly Reel

In your opinion which reel has the best drag system for light tippets?

1] Tibor Spring Creek CL

2] Lamson Litespeed

3] Ross Evolution

4] Other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2006, 06:15 PM

Danielsson( previously resold by Loop for $500) FW 2-6 for just $235 directly from factory. Sealed, super smooth drag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FW1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	5226   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	5227  
Old 01-01-2006, 06:57 PM

Of the three excellent reels you have selected (and they would all be terrific) I prefer the Tibor. It is a prettier reel to my eye. I have a Waterworks reel and I can't say the the drag (for light tippets) is any better than my TailWater. I have a bunch of Ross reels but not an evo. I don't doubt that the Ross drags are also every bit as good. So again, it comes down to looks, budget and to some degree the importance of large arbor. I am sure the Danielson is also a fine reel.
For light tippets, you really only need a reel with smooth start up. All of these reels have this quality. Everyone has their favorite. I chose the Waterworks and the Tibor. The Tibor gets the nod because of the good looks.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to baldmountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookFishingMan
4] Other

My index finger and my thumb.

When dealing with a trout on a light tippet you will most likely do most of the fighting very gingerly with your hands rather than on the reel.

http://www.nfaa-archery.org <-----<< My other passion.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmountain
4] Other

My index finger and my thumb.

When dealing with a trout on a light tippet you will most likely do most of the fighting very gingerly with your hands rather than on the reel.
Before I read your post I figured I'd be the first one to post that the reel with the best drag is the one attached to the end of your left (or right) arm.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:53 AM
admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Reynolds
I offered a site that was not commercial which described a reel I believe to be the best trout reel. Athough the Moderator may not favor this product, I believe it is a dis-service to the folks that visit here to S**tCan this link. EVERYONE gets it! One more time ---- <SPAM removed>

Lance and I just don't want to see you comprimize yourself.
Bob -

If you are unable to abide by the simple policies of the site, which you agreed to when you enrolled, you are welcome to find another board out there to spam.

Whether you believe this is a dis-service or not is really not your place to decide on the FORUM, but feel free to enforce your views on your own website or try imposing them onto another community.

We do not charge any admission and put a lot of time. money and energy into running this site. Please do not dishonor that with your rhetoric.

Thanks and you are welcome to continue participation, but in accordance with our policies.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to baldmountain
I used to think it was silly to delete links to non-sponsor sites. We are here to help each other out and sometimes you just need to point someone to a site. A link is the most convenient way.

But I was wrong.

The sponsors pay to keep the sight going and we should post links to items on their sites if at all possible. They are paying for our fun. And if the sponsors just don't have the item, post enough information so the person can google it themselves. It's not worth getting upset over.

The price on that Charleson is too high. Nice reel, but too rich for me. I'll stick with my clearance bin Scientific Anglers Sytem 2L.

http://www.nfaa-archery.org <-----<< My other passion.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:24 AM

Bob, I think that you are underestimating the sophistication of the internet crowd. I think that most people have google (I am confident that no link is necessary, but it would be allowed), yahoo and many other search engines bookmarked.
The notion that the links were removed because the Forum some how has it out for a reel that has been discontinued for three years is laughable.
Having said that, I think that my two Charlton reels perform better at higher drag settings, but they are tarpon reels. The trout reels are very nice. I'm not sure I would pay premium prices for a discontiued reel.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:25 PM

Thumbs up Top Notch Fly Reels

One of the finest fly reels currently on the market is the Elkhorn reels. I was introduced to them about 6 months ago and I won't fish without it. Aesthetic looking, Excellent Cork/Teflon Disc drag with a perfect start-up, smooth spindle action, fresh and saltwater impervious, and best of all, Elkhorns no non-sense warranty. I thought this would be a great backup reel for my Ross, but now the Ross is my backup and I now have all of the T-Series on my sticks. Check them out, you won't be dissapointed!
Old 01-03-2006, 03:16 PM

While true sealed drag is not so important for trout fishing, when it comes to salmon, steelhead or salt water fishing any reel with open drag can't be considered the finest on the market, unless some one like frequently maintenance its reel.
Get the water between Teflon/cork and see how a reel perform with hydroplaning effect in full swing........
Old 01-03-2006, 06:19 PM

6x to 7x tippett ? Only one reel in my book and that's a Hardy Princess. If your fishing western rivers and lakes where trout are selective when feeding on top then you will need a drag that is close to perfect day in and day out. Once read somewhere that a 22 inch rainbow when he feels the hook exerts up to 20 pounds of force at the begining of the intial run. A good western states trout will run you into your backing more often than not on that first run if you need to use 6 or 7x tippett and there is little you can do about it. After that I agree it is in the magic of ones own fingers how a fish takes line.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookFishingMan

1] Tibor Spring Creek CL

2] Lamson Litespeed

3] Ross Evolution

4] Other
I would recomend the Ross, a very nice reel, All three are nice reels and made in the US and can be bought through you local fly shops so you can go touch and feel them. As others have said with the tippets you are talking about drag really does not come it to it, good luck with the one you choose
Old 01-04-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie
The notion that the links were removed because the Forum some how has it out for a reel that has been discontinued for three years is laughable.
Eddie - I've read your posts for quite some time and you are a fair and honest guy. But I never said the Forum "had it out for a particular reel". You kind of make my point really. If a reel has been discontinued for three years, where is the commercial ADVANTAGE of a link? And because the reel is no longer produced there should be no reason to deny an historical link. I just suggested a trout reel I believe to be worthy of attention by the forum members. With Charlton having been used to set 60% of all IGFA records over 100 pounds, many anglers would not imagine Jack Charlton produced what is I believe to be the best trout reel ever made. Everyone will have thier own opinion, to which they are intitled, but I am also intitled to mine.

Best - Bob
Old 01-04-2006, 10:31 PM

Bob, I misread your post. I thought you were saying that : "Just because a Moderator does not favour the product (reel) the link gets axed." I apoligize if I misread your post.
Still there are so many ways to share good information without breaking the seemingly useless but simple rule of the Forum. I have never been a fan of the no hot links policy, and Juro will tell you that I have critisised it in the past. But I figured that it is so simple and it does not need to hinder the passing of information. Any and all information is welcome here...except hot links. You could even post the url (with a space to difuse the auto hot link feature). I encourage you to continue sharing your opinions and experience. I know that you feel discouraged and I am sorry for that.
I wish that you would post some of your experiences with Charltons.
I love the Charlton reels and of course they are worth a look. if you can find them and afford them, and aren't worried that no one might be able to fix them, they are terrific.

Maybe something like this: ( joeblow . com)

Last edited by Eddie; 01-05-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:02 PM

to stick with topic:

reg. arbor i like marryat cmr, really lightweight reel with a supersmooth drag
large arbor, id have to say the light danielsson or the sage reels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.