New Year's Resolutions? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2005, 12:51 PM

New Year's Resolutions?

Now that we've all wished each other Merry Christmas, Happy Chunnukah, Joyous Kwanza, etc., do we have any New Year's Resolutions?

In Much Need of an Overhaul,

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2005, 01:16 PM

Yes not to make any New Year resolutions................Doh

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 12-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Fly chucker

I have one resolution, and one only:

Make more time for myself to go fishing. 2005 was a down year quantity wise, but the quality of the trips was pretty good.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have a few for 2006 - lose 15 pounds, learn all of Stevie Ray Vaughn's 'Little Wing' on my new strat' well enough so my dog stops howling along , get my single-hand certification to add to my two-hand cert and teach twice as many casting classes as last year, and most importantly fish twice as much as I guide verses the opposite. Longer term I have committed to completion of martial arts training after a 20 year hiatus and 2006 will be a brick laid in that long road.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-29-2005, 02:45 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

To finally make a serious effort with regards to fly tying and finding the time to devote to it. Looking forward to the sessions at Fishing the Cape and ?shows (if not on call those weekends), and to hooking up with John at CAC. Looking forward to seeing "The Book" by him and Joe Branham- ?any update as to when it's going to hit the shelves/Amazon? Will place a bulk order for hooks with Bear's Den on their website once I've figured out which sizes I'm likely to be using for most of my flies. Also- anyone used Finnish Raccoon? Rich Murphy (from my hometown of Georgetown, MA) uses it in a pattern I saw in a book I've got on saltwater patterns, and it looks like it would really breath in a rip. Also need to start working on crab and shrimp pattern(s) for my trip to the Gulf Coast in March-hoping to hook into some redfish (aka Redneck Bones....). BUYAH!
Flydoc
Old 12-30-2005, 07:34 AM

More Bass fishing!

Charlie.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:50 AM

Just need to upgrade my New Year's resolution of last year......to enjoy every second of fishing South Beach.....last year, it was every minute.
At least this is a resolution that I know that I will have no problem in honoring
Hey Flydoc.....I'm heading for Sanibel soon (Gulf Coast).....last year there was a "cold spell" (60's) and it shut down the snook and redfish....sea trout still hit....hopefully this year we'll hit it right.
Ron
Old 12-30-2005, 11:06 AM

Do a little more yak fishing, discover new waters and fish LI more often. Continue to do what I did in 05 which was my best season so far. FishHawk
Old 12-30-2005, 02:26 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Ron- still waiting for Charlie Moore to get into the fly scene- thought he might during a couple recent shows I took in while on call X-mas eve- in one he was bonefishing with Bruins Prez Harry Sinden in the Bahamas, and another he was redfishing with Bosox ace Tim Wakefield along the Space Coast. NOT!!! Both outings featured spinning gear....to see them hooking bones on spinning tackle brought me close to tears, like they'd committed some kinda crime against humanity or something ...maybe I can have a word with his shrink and get him to do a little constructive suggestion under hypnosis....I like his oddball sense of humor, but I can only take so much abuse....
Flydoc
Old 12-30-2005, 06:56 PM

Well Doc, I guess it's a case of "to each his own"....I must admit that I was a spin fisherman until I was saved 5 years ago and became a born again fisherman with fly fishing.....I will never go back, but that is just my preference :-)
Where abouts are you going to be on the gulf? I have found a few places to fish, but every fishy looking place has a multi-million house or condo on it with land mines :-) So, I generally rent a yak and avoid being screamed at.
Would like to hit Sanibel in Aug/Sept when the snook are supposedly running along the gulf front and in May when the tarpon arrive. Until I hit the lottery....it will have to be 3 weeks of Jan/Feb and sea trout and ladyfish.
It's been warm there the last 2 weeks (70's/80's)...so maybe the reds will feel like eating. Last yr I used them for target practice....nothing would get them to take. Good luck to you!!!
Ron
Old 12-30-2005, 07:20 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

My folks rent a time-share on Long Boat Key just north of Sarasota every Jan-April, so I pop down for a week mid-March to catch some sun and (hopefully) some fish. Mostly sea trout so far DIY; there is a nice little park on the Sarasota Bay side of the island with flats wading access during the daytime, and the fishing near the bridge connecting the northern end of Long Boat to the southern end of Bradenton Beach is also not bad. May hire a guide this time around, although I must admit my finances are a bit thin right now. Good therapy for cabin fever...keeps me reasonably sane pending the start of things here on the Cape. See ya when the big boys are running....
Flydoc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.