Where to go out West--need help - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2005, 07:29 PM

Where to go out West--need help

I am planning a week trip to the Western US or Canada (not Alaska) this summer--anytime in July or August. I have been to the Yellowstone area and don't mind going back. But I also don't mind going elsewhere either.

I don't mind camping but a cheaper lodge is also fine. I'm not an avid hiker though.
I can fly about anywhere (within reason) and then drive.
I intend to use a guide at least 2-3 days.
I really prefer less crowds--I want great fishing but don't want wall to wall people or a boat whizzing by me every 3 minutes.
I would like the potential for big trout (20 inches).
I like to wade but may be interested in a day or two float as well.
I like to fish dry flies or dries with droppers.
I'm a pretty good caster.

I had thought of the Yellowstone area again, but also had read about the St. Mary River/Wigwam River area in British Columbia. Also the Flathead river area in northern Montana.

Can anyone give me some suggestions that may fit what I am seeking?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Oh boy - you have a big list of options to choose from with those parameters!

Hmmm... Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Wyoming and British Columbia, Alberta to the north... so many choices.

I would say if you are after a pristine wild trout environment go to some of the less traveled places in British Columbia, but if you are after the western trout adventure done right (accomodations, convenience and availability of guides etc) then Idaho, Montana come to mind. How about being Nelson's guest on the classic Henry's Fork? A float trip with forum member and moderator Frenchcreek in Calgary for huge trout in the Bow and Elk would be very hard to beat... and a mix of steelheading and trout would be good medicine in Oregon.

I hope others w/ experience in these areas chime in - it's gonna take me a while to settle on just one place for this kind of trip.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-27-2005, 08:53 PM

Yeah, I just had a friend return from BC this past summer. He rented a cabin on a fly in lake and fished it's tribs/outlet. Did some fly out stuff too with the lodge that had the cabin. Sounded pretty incredible. The cost wasn't too bad either. PM me if you want more specific contact info and I'll dig it up for you. About $2500, I believe.

He brought his daughter along for her first ever fly fishing trip. She had a great time. Her first trout she EVER caught was a 26" rainbow. I still shake my head with amusement over that one. Took me 5 months/6 outings to catch my first trout and 5 years before I got anything over 20" inches.

here is a pic of her with her first trout ever...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bcbow1.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	5219  

Last edited by griz; 12-27-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:09 AM

Take a look at the Missouri River in Montana. Rent a pontoon boat and you'll have some of the best fishing that Montana has to offer. Check out the flyshops in Wolf Creek they will help you out. Nothing beats the Big Mo in the Fall for the BWO hatch. It's a giant spring creek. You'll have some company but the river is huge and you can get away from the guides and their sports. FishHawk
Old 12-28-2005, 08:25 AM

Western Montana. More specifically Missoula, Montana. Point your car in pretty much any direction and you will find what you are looking for and there are a number of shops with guides in the area though I can make no recomendations.

Gregg
Old 12-28-2005, 10:09 AM

I really want to try the western trout fishery sometime, too. My requirements are similar to Romey's, except I wouldn't mind hiking or packing in, and I would like to work it in around the New England offshore season as much as possible. I'm finding it virtually impossible to pick from so many options and just go.
I would really like some help in narrowing down te options. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Josko -

Last year I visited the Salmon River in Idaho, driving from Missoula MT over the Bitterroots. All I can say is that it's a near-religious experience seeing all that beauty and I can't wait to go back. The American West is really something unbelievable and it's so accessible, we're lucky.

Just do it! (let me know when I might join you)
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-28-2005, 02:16 PM

hey josko,

yeah, your questions are huge in scale. Not sure when the New England offshore season is but I'd shoot for trips in August or early Sept if you are looking for a trip to the Rockies for hiking and fishing. If you come too early rivers may still be blown out from run off and high lakes might be iced over still. Everthing is settled in August and the mosquitos relent.

I always recommend Rich Ostoff's book Fly fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry for an overview of backcountry flyfishing out here. Some info is old and out of date but overall a top notch book. If you look to colorado kip carey's official colorado fishing guide is pretty accurate and with research will put you on good water. You could look at the Beartooth's in Montana too. A huge and very well managed wilderness fishery. Pat Marcuson's book is your best bet there.

When you narrow it down I may be able to help you out abit more. Backcountry fly fishng/floating in CO,WY,MT,ID is what I "specialize" in. Feel free to PM me when you do. Good luck in your research and reading.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:01 AM

Tanks Griz. I'll track the books down and get back to you. By the way, a good friend/colleague just took a job in Ft. Collins. I need to go visit him and am curious what my trouting options are in te area, this time of year and in the early season.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:46 PM

The golden triangle in Montana and Idaho has lots of rivers from the South Fork of the Snake and Henry's Fork north to the Madison and Jefferson. Solitude can be difficult, you wouldn't enjoy the Big Hole during the salmon fly hatch. There are some lesser known streams like Rock Creek, Jocko and the Kootenai outside of Missoula or the St. Joe, St. Maries or Lochsa over the line in Idaho. Wilderness trips on the Flathead, Selway or Middle Fork of the Salmon are best by raft but could be hiked into. Talk to folks in fly shops and you'll get a lot of advice. For outfitted trips browse Outfitter's and Guide's Assn. on line.
link
Old 12-29-2005, 07:19 PM

BC

Anyone have any experience with the Elk River/Wigwam RIver/Kootenay River drainage in British Columbia a few hours dive north of Spokane? <non-sponsor links removed>

This looks interesting. Mostly cutts with chance for Dolly Varden. A friend had mentioned he really like a horse pack-in experience he had on the Flathead in northern MT. But BC looks pretty promising too.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josko
Tanks Griz. I'll track the books down and get back to you. By the way, a good friend/colleague just took a job in Ft. Collins. I need to go visit him and am curious what my trouting options are in te area, this time of year and in the early season.
Winter time is pretty dicey for weather and far slower for action. Probably stick to the tailwaters around here. In the spring I'd check out the North Platte since it's in the Ft. Collins area(by Colorado standards anyway! ). You could shoot up to the Miracle Mile stretch below Seminoe Dam in WY also. Nice fish swim there. I really don't say any of this with great enthusiasm though and all of this info is well documented in fly fishing guide books. Colorado really shines in the summer... when you can cast on some gorgeous lake in a mountainous cirque in solitude with just you and a buddy and allot of uneducated trout swimming about.

For more in the Ft. Collins area...Early summer(early june on) you can hit some of the lower elevation greenback cutt lakes in Rocky Mountain NP. Lots of good lakes to day hike. Probalby stomp through some snow though. the Rawah Wilderness near Ft. Collins is nice but you pretty much have to backpack in and stay for a few days.

Last edited by griz; 12-29-2005 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:47 PM

Hi Josko, it was 60 here today so you never know what fishes well. Your closest option from Ft Collins this time of year is the Big Thompson below the dam in Estes Park. The Poudre is close but has alot of ice now. There are a few options on the south platte SW of denver Cheesman, Spinney and maybe Eleven Mile but the road can be sketchy. The Blue in Silverthorn can be OK. The big fish are on the Frying Pan and Taylor. Both of those rivers give up very large fish in the winter. The Mile is crowded with bait dunkers. Pack you skis, Ski in the winter and fish the rest of the year. Just because you can fish yearround in CO does not mean that you should. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-31-2005, 10:54 PM

how about this...

I guess I am still thinking of Montana. Anyone tried the Paradise Valley spring creeks? A couple days on those and then the Yellowstone area rivers... But I am curious about those spring creeks...Anyone recommend a guide out there?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:53 AM

July could still be in runoff depending on the snowpack. A friend and I fished Armstrong's a few years ago in June and had a great time fishing the PMD hatch. We were early for heavy dry fly action so we resorted to nymphing. The weeds were absolutly alive with nymphs. We even saw a few fish swimming around with gobs of weeds in their mouths. If you know what you are doing I would not pay for a guide on top of the tresspass fee. Soda Butte in the Park is good for cutts averaging 15 inches or so on dries and would not be too far away from Paridise valley since you could use the North Entrance. You could always float the Missouri or Bighorn for day trips or try for a multi day on the Smith. The day floats should offer the best opportunity for large fish and the Smith would have the fewest people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.