thread preference - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2005, 03:31 PM

thread preference

I sure would appreciate knowing which working thread (white) other tyers are using as base for silk bodies.

Despite my best efforts, untwisting thread on bobbin and avoiding excess wraps, I still haven't found a thread that flattens and covers easily. I am tying on blind-eye and loop-eyed irons size 2-3/0.

Thanks much.........Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Pullin' Thread

My favorite thread is Danville's Flymaster, which is usually listed as 6/0, but it actually has the same diameter as Uni-Thread 8/0 and is between Gudebrod 8/0 and 10/0 in diameter. Waspie Ultra Thread 70 Denier is another one of the same diameter as the Danville's Flymaster 6/0. Truthfully, any 70 denier or smaller thread will work well provided it is not a twisted thread or cord.

But to answer your question more succinctly, I use Danville's Flymaster 6/0 or Uni-Thread 8/0 in my tying for everything but spinning deer hair, which I do with Danville's Flat Waxed Nylon. The Danville's Flymaster 6/0 is easy to untwist, lays very flat, has a very fine wax treatment, and is thin with decent strength.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:46 AM

Benecchi's White 12/0 gets my thumbs up for a working thread. For heads I use Danville's un-waxed 6/0 Flymaster in various colors.

Igor
Old 12-28-2005, 08:09 AM

I agree with these guys on the Danville’s Flymaster 6/0 and Uni-Thread 8/0. I have some Benecchi’s 12/0 but have not given it a fair try yet. As flytyer points out the Flymaster is one of the best for getting a good flat body.

You could also try burnishing after you lay the thread down. Take a strait, smooth and round implement, such as a pen, and use it to rub the bumps out of the thread.

Yet another option is to lay some flat tinsel over the thread and use this for a base for your silk. The cheep plastic tinsels are the best for this type of application.

Charlie
Old 12-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I usually lay tinsel as the books suggest for 'finish' flies but while tying fishing flies a carefully wrapped Danville's (as mentioned above) is fine. I don't like the floss-type threads for this purpose because it does not bite into the tag and tail very well.

One little trick if you're just highlighting butts like freight trains, signal lights, etc. you can switch from silk floss to a floss thread which gives you more control and eliminates the need for an underwrap. This is not a good choice for full floss bodies but a handy little trick for production tying bright butts in a hotel room when you have fishing to do in the morning.

Of course a good seal dub sure makes quick work of the body ahead of the floss highlight. I like to layer the seal colors forward on large winter flies.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-29-2005, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the replies Gents

I haven't used Danville thread in years and I cannot recall why I moved away from it

I never considered burnishing my thread base

El cheapo flat tinsel also sounds good

Now if all rachii were flat on the right side.................

Chao....Dave
Old 12-29-2005, 08:37 PM

only thread

There is only one thread that matters> 6/0 Danville. Always burnish on underbody.
Ramsay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.