YAKBONE Clave this weekend! - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2000, 03:03 PM

RE:YAKBONE Clave this weekend!

I've heard Woods Hole has had some pods of the funny fish around.

I had a chance at a freebie with a guide on MV Friday afternoon but can't go cuz I can't get outta work. Gotta get a new job!

GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2000, 06:17 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

WoW Sully - that's gotta hurt. Does he know you personally? Can I borrow your drivers license?

Better luck next time, guess it's time to start planning BONECLAVE 2000!
Old 08-16-2000, 06:33 PM

<center><font color="ff0000"><b>SUMMARY AND ATTACK PLAN</b></font><!--color--></center>

Al - motor
John - flies, no boat
Nick - waders
Brian - sense of humor
Gregg - float tube
Mike - same
craig - canoe w/ motor, room for two riders?
juro - canoe with room for one -or- shuttle operation

OK - Here's the plan.

We go to a spot from where we can launch our shuttle craft to get to the promised hot spot on the other side. We minimize the parking fine (usually $15) by car pooling to the launch spot. We shuttle passengers to/from the awesome and inaccessible spot. We fish for the awesome bonito, then shuttle passengers back to the launch spot and reverse the process.

This way we really only need one or two boats and we split the parking ticket.

I actually have several spots that are exactly like this, and Wacky is the worst of the bunch because of the distance from the launch to the jetty. The only advantage there is the free parking for all of us at the (distant) launch.

Since I can take one rider, and Craig can take two, we will both make two trips to get the whole crew across.

If nothing else, it will be amusing.

Other options include kayak rentals for the bunch... thoughts?
Old 08-16-2000, 06:34 PM

By the way we can hit Chatham light on the outgoing to see if the day can start with a keeper bass before the bonito quest!
Old 08-16-2000, 07:36 PM
i'm so outta here

Well, I actually have more than a motor..... I have a trailer. It's legal for the road under my father-in-law's registration....I also have a boat (of sorts) that is also registered for the year via my in-laws. This thing is ugly. I mean REALLY ugly. I wouldn't fly fish out of it for fear of being cut off on the sharp fiberglass edges. I wouldn't sit in it for fear of the cheap plywood seats buckling under my weight (or even Juro's...or even a back pack's!)

I wouldn't feel safe in it any more than 100 yards off shore, but it could easily shuttle me and three guys and their gear to whatever spot we decide on. Someone might have to help me back it down the ramp as I haven't yet mastered trailering, but the option is there....
Old 08-17-2000, 06:47 AM

This almost sounds like the beginning of the "Survivor" show on CBS ! Al, I would be more than willing to help you back the boat down..........Juro, the lighthouse intrigues me......Do you think the spot we will try for bones will have bass also ?? I hear there are tons of 3 to 5 lb blues in the South Cape area, also....

John
Old 08-17-2000, 07:04 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Hi Everyone,

What day are you guys planning on heading out for the Bone-Clave? I am in for Sunday if you are open to having a stranger tag along. I have a kayak so I am personally mobile.

Thanks and if I don't get a chance to head out with you then I wish you the best of luck...

Doogue
Old 08-17-2000, 08:06 AM
i'm so outta here

Dooge,

There <i>are</i> no strangers on the water, at least in this community. Come join in the antics! It looks like Sat. is the prefered day.

John - thanks for the offer. I need to check with my insurance agent. If I can toss a rider on my policy today for the trailer, it's a go. Bones are improbable at Chatham light.

BTW, yak rentals sounds like a good idea and might simplify things greatly. Juro, (or anyone with the info) any thoughts on where this might be possible given the list of spots in the initial post?

Al
Old 08-17-2000, 09:49 AM

Trout or Bones, that is the question. I was going to hit the Deerfield at least once this year but the bone clave sounds good. If I come I will bring my yak and have room on my truck rack to put one more on so if someone wanted to rent one we could. I will let you know by the end of the day.
Old 08-17-2000, 10:20 AM
President of CAC

Can do it to. Have Yak, will travel. Also. Bonito reported by Pete A from Orvis in early eve at Bucks creek off Ridgevale Beach ,down the street from me... never usually fish there, but the whole south side could work, and as you said, Stage harbor might work.
Old 08-17-2000, 10:27 AM

<center><b>More suggestions for YAKBONE I</b></center>

The area is loaded with scup and fluke. I suggest we bring a coleman stove and a fillet knife and have a good old fashioned fish fry (if the weather permits). Bring energy bars or sandwiches if you don't like fish or if the weather goes to hell. My recipe is:

- scup or fluke fillet
- flour
- Prudhomme's seafood magic
- light olive oil
- can of italian style stewed tomatoes
- couscous or other side like native corn

Sprinkle the fillet, pat with flour and saute' in a little bit of oil until crispy on the edges. Spoon some stewed tomatoes over the fillet (Provencale style) and serve with sides. Easy to do on a gas stove if weather permits. I will bring the cutting board, knife, flour, spice, tomatoes if someone can bring the olive oil and extra stove, paper plates, trash bag, plastic forks. We should all bring our own drinks but I will have a cooler on my dory if you want to consolidate.

The minimalist craft will be beached on the neck (hint hint). Tides are slack high predawn / dawn so there will be bass inside the inlet and hopefully the funny fish will show during the outflow like last weekend. Incoming may offer additional opportunities.

For those with kayaks, someone will shuttle you back from the legal parking area if you do not want to pay the $15 fine for parking.

More details to follow... please comment on the shore lunch / fresh scup and fluke idea. This will require some spinning rods and bait BTW.

Juro
Old 08-17-2000, 11:31 AM

What are "spinning rods" and what is "bait" ??

ONLY KIDDING !!!

John
Old 08-17-2000, 11:34 AM
LT 20

hey guys,

I'm in for satuday, and will be down at the chatham light first thing in the morning. I haven't heard any firm conformation on were we will meet etc., so Juro, Please let me knoe if this is the plan.

lots of backing,
Craig

Ps. Does anyone have some instructions and a pic of the bunny fly everyone is talking about. I have never tied one before. Last night I tied up some white sand eel patterns, but don't think they will be the ticket.
Old 08-17-2000, 11:38 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick

Juro,
Fish fry sounds great! I can bring my spin rod and pick up some squid tomorrow at Super S&S if we need it. Also, where are we meeting and when? I need to plan my Friday night activities accordingly...
Nick
Old 08-17-2000, 11:41 AM

Craig:

Call me at 508-393-0562 and I will explain the bunny fly........

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.