Eyes - Sticky Question - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2005, 04:14 AM
CantAnchorUs

Eyes - Sticky Question

What is the best way to stick eyes on? I like to use domed eyes but they won`t stay on by themselves. I`d rather not epoxy over them if I don`t have to. The bodies on my stuff is shaped with Softex or Softbody, to prevent foling. The eyes by themselves look great , until they hit water, coated with Hard Head they last a while longer before falling off. Epoxy works well but yellows and I don`t want to coat the whole front of the fly with epoxy and turn it into a surf candy. Never used Goop much. Would you just put a dab on the back of the eye or cover the whole thing? This question has been plagueing me for years. Is there another product I`m missing out on?
Slinger
PS The things that run thru your head at 4:15 in the morning after sucking in Softex fumes for a few hours.
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2005, 04:17 AM
CantAnchorUs

Where in the world is Matt... no wrong guy, JF Basser? Did he go native and stay in the Islands?
Slinger
Old 12-16-2005, 07:43 AM

I use a dab of goop behind the eye. works weell and easy to repair if/when it falls off.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:53 AM
Middle Aged Member

Quote:
JF Basser? Did he go native and stay in the Islands?
He took a job as assistant cruise directer on the boat he was on. Teaches the guests the finer point of fish catching during the day, then multi-tasks at night dressed in drag and performing on the choras line in the after dinner shows.

I dab a bit of epoxy on my Clouser eyes - or not. Frequently I just don't bother with the eyes.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:02 AM

I have tried using Zap a dap a goo with varying results. I usually run a thick bead of it around the thread wraps and then push the eyes into it. Then wet your finger and smooth the Zap down between the eyes and around the edges and back into the fly a little bit. It seems to work better with fibers the zap can penetrate like polar fibre and not as well with mushies. There is a good demonstration of it in the first-light tuna video. Way less time consuming than epoxy although the eyes will pop off once in a while and you have to glue them back on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2005, 09:01 AM

JBasser was last seen casting from the rear deck of the cruse liner with a pencil popper.
Steve try the Goop. I had the same problem and the Goop works.
FishHawk
Old 12-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Pencil me in.....

Basser is back in town, but trying to catch up with a few things at work after the vacation...should be back in action in a few days.....did battle with a few Snook while in Islamarada..interesting fish! they certainly like to bull dog back to the mangroves

re stick on eyes....use jungle cock
Old 12-16-2005, 10:35 AM

I'd offer two possibilities.....

First, if you are using softex for the fly anyway, why not put the eyes under some softex? I do this on some patterns, and yes, the softex is not completely clear, but the eyes still look good, and I can attest to the fish catching ability...had batches of sea habits with epoxy and softex heads in Baja, and saw NO difference in the number takes between the materials.

Other option would be to use some Goop on the backs of the eyes and stick them on....I have best success with this if the goop from the two eyes can actually meet, but that is on a fly without other adhesive....If you have a core of softex, this probably isn't necessary.

Only 8 dozen flies to go before the season starts!

Mark
Old 12-16-2005, 11:04 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Two options that are pretty bombproof:

1. Tab eyes. They are mounted on the side of the head with a tab that extends into the thread wraps. BobPop showed this to me a couple of years ago when he began tying his hollow flyes. The tab eyes are not readily available, but there are a couple of vendors at the upcoming fly shows that have them in stock.
2. Molded eyes with a post. A small circular hole is burned with a cauterizer large enough for the post. Insert some goop into the hole with a toothpick, and push the post into the hole. More times than not the post has to be shortened with nippers to insure the eye is flush with the side profile of the fly. Enrico Puglisi used this method on a lot of his flies.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:18 AM
LBFF Mojo

Mind you I am still a rookie out here but I have had great luck with the zap a dap a goo. Towards tye end of the season though I got a bunch of the tabbed eyes and do not see my self using much of anything else next year.

-sean
Old 12-16-2005, 11:31 AM
CantAnchorUs

Jim, I like that idea of the eyes with the post. I`ve never noticed any before. Are they available, where could I get some?
Slinger
Old 12-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

One more option...

The aluminum eyes that look like clouser eyes but are very light. I use them for big mac patterns and bunker. They do not invert the hook and cast great. The recess holds the sticky eyes in place thru thick or thin. They work very well with the plastic 3-d ones too, not just the flats.]

Not great for all applications (large diameter) but great for baitfish and squid patterns.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Flats Rat

Another option I have used with some success is EZ Sparkle body. Start with a spot of white or yellow and then place a smaller drop of black on top for the pupil. Using different diameter dowels to apply the outer and pupil portions helps ensure consistency. They seem to hold up pretty well.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:13 PM

Saw this on another popular fishing Forum. Use fetch cement the one that people use to glue the feathers on arrows. I got a tube today and will give it a try.
FishHawk
Old 12-16-2005, 07:51 PM

All of JimS ideas are good advice.

Try mixing five minute epoxy. Last longer than super glues. Only have to apply it to the skicky side of the eyes. No one seems to think of this method, but it works. The epoxy also penetrates into the Softex or softbody and is least likely effected by saltwater. Rough up the area where the eyes will go and try to make a small hole. The epoxy will fill the hole and bond both together as one unit.

Last edited by RayStachelek; 12-16-2005 at 07:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.