Help With Lake Trout - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2005, 03:31 PM

Question Help With Lake Trout

I will be coming to Ontario next June for 6 days, in hopes of catching some Lake Trout. I have never been before and do not know what flies to use or really anything about fishing for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2005, 04:30 PM

Josh,

Where in Ontario are you going? I fish for them in a tributary of Lake Ontario and do very well with white zonkers. Any baitfish pattern will probably do since this is there main source of food. I will take some pictures of some of my best lake trout flies and post them tomorrow.

They are cool fish. They donít jump much but they are very strong fighters and they can get really big.

Charlie.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:08 PM

Charlie,
Think i'm going to be around Kirkland Lake area. Are the trout going to be holding in water to deep for a fly in June? Not sure as of yet the name of the lakes and rivers I'll be fishing but when I find out I will let you know. That would be great if you could post some fly pics. Thanks alot Charlie. Josh
Old 12-15-2005, 08:41 AM

Josh,

Iím thinking they should still be in shallow water in June so you should be in good shape.

These are some of my best lake trout flies. Most of them are ugly but they get the job done. They are from top to bottom.

Gray Zonker
White Zonker
Uncle Salty
Chartreuse Crystal Shrimp
Winter Wonderland

I would bring some other flies when you go, some dries, wets, and nymphs. Just to be on the safe side. You never know what they could be feeding on.

Good luck when you go. Take lots of pictures and tell us how you do.

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flies.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	5182  
Old 12-15-2005, 08:42 AM

An average Lake Ontario Lake Trout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	laker.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	5183  
Old 12-15-2005, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the info Charlie, you tie some beautiful flies. Two more question, do you use shooting heads when fishing for Lakers and do you know any good water around the area I will be at?
Josh
Old 12-15-2005, 04:00 PM

Josh,

I have never been to the Kirkland Lake area but from what I have read and heard from friends that have, you will not have any problems finding fish. Esker Lake Provincial Park has 29 lakes that all have good numbers of Lakers, Rainbows and Brook trout. Pike, Pickeral and Smallmouth Bass are also in many of the lakes. One lake, Wynn Lake, has a very rare strain of brook trout in it called the Aurora trout, but I think it is closed at the time you will be there. Bottom line, looks like you are going to a very cool place to fish! I think I need to go up to this area myself next summer.

As for the shooting heads? Always a good idea when you are fishing in any lakes.

I have some more friends to talk to and a few books at home to look at that I should be able to get some more info out of. I will let you know as soon as I do.

Charlie.

P.S. check your PMís

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.