yak access in the clave area??? Art B, etc...? - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2000, 07:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
yak access in the clave area??? Art B, etc...?

ok, I may make it down for a day trip, so I was wondering if I should bring the pungo along. Jared said he's gonna try also. should we bother, or is it all open ocean big waves type fishing? too young to die!! ok, not that young, but too good looking, ok not too good looking. damn it I just wanna know if it makes sense or will I just bring it down and leave it on the racks all day. Tom D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2000, 07:39 PM
i'm so outta here

RE:yak access in the clave area??? Art B, etc...?

<!--http--><a href="http://flyfishingforum.com/rhodyfest/" target="_blank">Rhody info page</a><!--url-->

Tom,

Keep an eye on that <!--http--><a href="http://www.rhodetrip.com/" target="_blank">Beach Cam</a><!--url-->. If the surf is up on Mantunuk, you'll probably be relegated to the pond at Quonny. There's a great launch there for yaks. If the fish are on, I may put my boat in there as well. The currents are really rough just outside the breachways. Water whips through there and the standing waves can start looking like class 3 rapids. Exercise caution.

Art, you know of any secret spots to slide a kayak into where the waters are quiet, especially in the area of East Beach....?

Al
Old 10-19-2000, 08:40 PM

Quonny is very good for a Yak, On the incoming tide the channel in the pond is good fishing and usually fairly calm except for a strong wind. Charlestown also has a ramp inside the Breachway which gives a good Nimgret Pond access. I have been in, and out of the Quonny many times, but it is a risk if your not careful, don't get pinned under the docks on the left looking out. I have lanuched in the surf outside, but have rolled the Yak over everytime I try coming in through the surf. No one has told me how you can land and get out before the next wave hits. Has anyone a rubber boat? That would work slick outside of Quonny.
Old 10-20-2000, 09:42 AM
BB5 Survivor

Tom --

I'm planning on launching from the beach just east of quonny...not sure what the wave/swell scene will be...but am counting on using the rocks
as cover to make my way out.

jared

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.