T-14 - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Go Climb A Rock

Send a message via AIM to Youngpatawan
T-14

I know that I have brought this subject up before, but once again I haveanother question about this stuff. I have been fishing some deep water with this on the spey rod. I have been using a ten foot hunk of it with a windcutter spey. I feel that when fishing it with weighted tube flies it gets down on the initial cast but then it starts to rise as I start the swing. Is it worth going to a longer section or should I concentrate on switching my fishing style? I've been using a more traditional wet fly swing, with a slight down stream initial cast. Should I start the cast higher up and mend it down almost as a dead drift and start the swing later or would it be to my benifit to use longer section of t-14? Any info would be awesome. Thanks
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Thumper of Drum.

Send a message via AIM to Jamey McLeod Send a message via MSN to Jamey McLeod Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey McLeod
I would stick with the slightly down presentation. Casting up creates alot of belly in your line, as does casting across. Both can be fished fine with good mending, but with 10ft of T14 and that much mending I think your going to be in the rocks. Slightly down and one good mend should put you in the zone. Maybe let some line out as its going down stream before it starts to belly, and another small mend. The rising action throughout the swing isn't that big of a deal. Every type of line for swinging flies will rise to some extent. Our local skagiteer here in MI says it imitates a fleeing bait fish, or prey of some sort whenever I try to argue the merits of full sink heads to him.

What kind of tubes are you using?

After typing this it occured to me that I'm assuming I know the type water your fishing, I don't. But try to take what you can from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Go Climb A Rock

T-14

Jamey,

Thanks for the info. I have been using 2" brass and copper tubes to get down. I have had decent luck considering the conditions and water flow. It is a little difficult to heave that much weight out, but it seems to get the job done. Thanks for taking the time to give me your philosophy, I think I need to concentrate more on my line control.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:59 AM

Steve,

If you have the multi tip windcutter you may also want to try using a section of intermediate line between the T14 and floating section of your line. This will help greatly in getting your rig down and help you to keep it down.

Charlie
Old 12-13-2005, 02:30 PM

Which WC?

The intermediate "compensator" works well for most tips, but may not work well for T-14. Unless the compensator and belly are near 14 garins per foot, there will likely be some hinging by placing T-14 after the "compensator". The 12 weight comensator is about 15 grains lper foot and the 11 weight about 13. The 12 weight should work fine with T-14 and the 11 weight should work, but may be marginal. Anything below that will probably give difficulties with hinging.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 12-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Thumper of Drum.

Send a message via AIM to Jamey McLeod Send a message via MSN to Jamey McLeod Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey McLeod
With all do respect to the above posts. I think 2in brass or copper tubes and 10ft of T14 is plenty of sink for any rig. I can't think of one run I fish where that wouldn't be overkill, unless its spring and things are severly blown, even then, I wouldn't be fishing those spot. Maybe I am narrow minded having only really fished in MI. I think with some good mending you should be spot on.

I take you are just using the WC body? Does that T-14 kick those copper tubes well? The only time I ever used a copper tube over 1 inch was with a MS 10/11 (floater) and it was still tricky to get it to launch that tube, even with a 15lb Maxima tippet.

Last edited by Jamey McLeod; 12-13-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Go Climb A Rock

T-14

The water that I fish this time of year is deep. You have about two feet of bank to wade and then it drops right off to about 10 to 20 feet. That's why I use the T-14 and the brass and copper tubes. My technique is to get the fly down extremley deep and then start the swing right up the bank. Most of the time I want the water to be off color so I don't need to cast far to get the presentaion that I want. (If the water is clear the fish run deep and further from the bank.) I'm not the greatest spey caster in fact I only have been doing it for about two years. I just started using T-14 this fall and for me sometimes the cst works and sometimes it FLOPS and I have to start all over again, but it is trial and error and I think the more I work with the T-14 and spey rod the more I will learn about how it responds to what I'm trying to make it do.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:52 PM

Ten feet of T14 [140 grains] is not a serious sink tip for the depths of water you are discussing. Don't be afraid to use 20 or even 30 feet of T14, or better yet, Rio's BigBoy 300, 400 or 500 grains 24-foot tips.

Rio's Skagit lines make casting these heavy tips easy.

Are you tapping bottom anywhere during the swing? If not, the sink tip / fly combination is not doing the job.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Thumper of Drum.

If I came off as being judgemental, I wasn't. I apologize if you took it that way. And yeah, it sounds like you need some serious sink for that water.

Bob is dead on with his explanations. I fish a 300 in the way he mentioned, its not pretty, but sure gets it down.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Go Climb A Rock

It was my mistake I probably should have went more in depth about the body of water I was fishing. It's definatley a challenge to decifer this piece of water. It's nice to have people that can give you great info on different methods. Thanks again for the help guys. Today I fished this water today and used the W/C and T-14 landed one fish with on a brass tube which was good for me. Tomorrow I want to see if it would be better to try a skagit line and a longer hunk of T-14. Will see what happends. Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.