What are the new develpments in fly fishing? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Pullin' Thread

What are the new develpments in fly fishing?

Here's a question for you all: What truly new developments occurred in flies, lines, rods, reels and flies say since 1850? This gives a little more than 150 years of fly fishing equipment and fly development, which I assume will give us plenty of new developments to come up with.

Note, the "truly new developments" in the question. Thus, things like changing dubbing from natural fur to synthetic dubbing, while keeping the same color, would not constitute a new fly. Nor does using black hair on an established black-winged featherwing fly make it a new fly. Likewise, splicing mono running line to a shooting head does not make it any less a shooting head system, which is also nothing new, as Mr. Pauli so succinctly pointed out.

So let's have a go at it and see what has truly been new developments, as opposed to re-invention of something that has been around through substitution of materials, splicing, etc.

Since I brought it up, I'll go first. My pick is the tip-over-butt ferrule first used on Fenwick fiberglass glass rods, which replaced the metal ferrules used prior to its development. Most carbon fiber (or graphite on this side of the pond) rods now built utilize this simple, but elegant solution for joining multipiece rods.

But then again perhaps this top-over-butt ferrule was not a new thing. Perhaps it was only an extension of the old UK rod makers method of joining multi-piece rods by wrapping the spliced area designed into the rod blank with leather to hold it together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2005, 06:23 PM

plastics: lines and rods. I think that these new materials took alot of the maintenance out of the sport. Put wet rods and lines away and forget it.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:31 PM

Bobbin thread holders, rotory vises, and knotless tapered leaders.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:59 PM

Tough question, one possibility is the rotary vise.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Without a doubt, it has to be this product from Orvis. For the bargain price of $149, you can't go wrong!
Orvis Fly Tester

A completely new invention reveals to you the swimming of your fly patterns from all angles. Works for sinking flies, salmon flies, and streamers. See how your patterns’s movement and action changes with the use of different materials. Adjust speeds to imitate different currents. Experiment with your own patterns to create the motion you desire. 17¼"L x 9"H x 5½"W.

In case you can't tell, I'M JOKING!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90XHC6FC_LG.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	5177  
Old 12-13-2005, 01:14 AM
Pullin' Thread

Love the Orvis fly tester. Don't know how we ever got along without it!

The rotary vise might simply be a way to do what was possible in days gone by with pin vises that had the nice long rear section on them that allowed you to very easily rotate a fly, including spin it if you so desired.

I recall seeing somewhere that there were graduated, braided gut leaders available in the 1800's, which were in effect knotless tapered leaders. Perhaps the knotless taped leader is not so new after all.

Again, just food for thought.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:24 AM

Heres another one, chemically sharpened hooks.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

A few I can think of since those times - Gore tex and neoprene waders, monofilament line, extruded fly lines for that matter, polarized sunglasses, hand-held GPS and cell phones for safety, fiber based (glass, carbon) rod manufacturing.

Of course some things are timeless like the Hardy Perfect and cane despite their quirks, but more recent modern marvels are exemplified by the reels machined by the Danielsson family (evotec LW/HD etc).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lw812.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	5178  
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-13-2005, 08:23 AM

Not flyfishing exclusive, but I would say that the biggest improvement has to be modern outdoors clothing. Breathable waders and poly materials are so much more comfortable that rubber waders and wool/cotton. They are lighter, cooler/warmer. I would'nt trade goretex for graphite.

Also, I may be wrong, but heavily weighted lines and flys have really changed how we fish.
FT, how about heavily weighted flys? Prior to 150 years ago, did they weight flys with anything other than a big hook? Lead eyes (weighted) significantly changed the way we fish (boss, clousers, whistlers and crazy charly's). We are now fishing 30' underwater. We have flies swimming upside down. Flys now can swim up and down as well as laterally. Like a .....jig
Old 12-13-2005, 08:24 AM
Fly chucker

I'll third the rotary vise, and add the improvement in flylines.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Jonesin...

Epoxy and resins now included in our fly tying.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:48 AM

Juro already said it but...........

POLARIZED SHADES!

And not really FF but related in a way...........

All the progress that has led us to the nearly limitless possiblilities of getting to our FF destinations which are not our home waters. In other words, affordable air travel.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:21 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Knowledge Base...

Books, DVDs and the internet provide a plethora of info on flyfishing unknown until recent times. As that database became available, it spawned a larger population of flyfishers with the concomitant creativity from the minority.

Some of those modern day innovators include Lefty, BobPop,& Jerry Siem (Sage). That is not to minimize the contributions made by the earlier innovators to the sport; but when you view the database available to today's flyfishermen, it is truly amazing.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:33 AM

Since 1850....

I would suggest the waterproof glues (like Resorcsinol) that were incorprated into fly rob building in the 40's replacing the old "Hide glue" with a modern method. That would certainly qualify as an event that changed things but compared with the explosion of marketable crap that has come out in the last 15 years it probably will be forgotten soon enough. (By the way I purchase way to much Marketable Crap" but the kid at the local fly shop seems to be prospering in my wake!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimS
Books, DVDs and the internet provide a plethora of info on flyfishing unknown until recent times. As that database became available, it spawned a larger population of flyfishers with the concomitant creativity from the minority.
I'd have to agree with you on this one, in particular the internet. It's certainly enhanced my fly fishing greatly! Google satellite maps alone have gotten me to more new bodies of water than any other source.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.