Fly Fishing Forum banner

What about Riviera Maya in Mexico?

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ssully 
#1 ·
I am a new bonefish angler and I am looking for information regarding fishing in the area of Riviera Maya. Is it possible to fish in this area without guide and boat? Good fishing there?

Pierre

#2 ·
If I were to write a book on 21st century DIY bonefishing, it would begin with the internet's bounty of recon techniques...

start with a google search of the area, then click on images. Generally if you are near the equator and see lots of shallow light colored shoreline the outlook is going to be pretty good

next go to Google earth and zoom in to the area, looking for same. You can get a real good idea of the opportunites that way especially if you pay attention to roads and their proximity to shallow areas

lastly, go to the NASA images and get incredibly detailed images far beyond what google earth provides

then on to 'bonefish' and other keywords once you have the geography scoped out

Seems like Riviera Maya is a winner :D

#4 ·
Mayan Riviera fishing

There is DIY fishing along the Mayan Riviera. Basically fishing up and down the beach is going to be your best bet if you want DIY fishing. Yes, there can be good fun fishing along the beach. You'll catch jacks, cudas, snappers, (fish that I don't even know their names). I've caught bones and casts to permit as well that were swimming right along where the wave crashes up against the sand! Yes, that close. I had to keep my shadow from spooking the fish.

There is a small flat at Boca Paila bridge that you can wade and see/catch bonefish, maybe see permit, cudas, jacks etc. This place is not a secret and you'll probably will be sharing the flat with other anglers. Everytime I've gone by in a boat my last few times I see anglers wading it.

Other than that you will pretty much need a guide/boat to access the major flat areas and best bonefishing opportunities sorry to say. I like to get a guide for a few days and when I'm not with a guide I take advantage of the "free" fishing by walking up and down the beach looking for fish.

Good luck to you,

Tim

#5 ·
Salar36 said:
I am a new bonefish angler and I am looking for informatioregarding fishing in the area of Riviera Maya. Is it possible to fish in this area n without guide and boat? Good fishing there?

Yes, Boca Paila is a great place; it is scenic and "wild", but with a LOT of tourists taking echotours.
I lived in Playa del Carmen for one year and I used to get the bus( from Playa) to Limones, a little village around Akumal( great lagoon and fishing, BTW..) and from Limones to XCALAK, the southern most tip of the Yucatecan peninsula, smack in front of the Belizean coast....just a few miles north of Ambergis Key.
Fantastic place....there is alittle hotel ( El Caracol,if I remember correctly) and it is e x t r e m e l y inexpensive....problem: you flush the toilet with a bucket and the lights are off at 9.00 pm.
Dude it's Patagonia catalogue material....fishing is KICK A##!
There is a little creek just north of "downtown"...fish it a dusk( watch for the billions mosquitos) or a t any tide change, for snooks and baby tarpon , but what I would call "the spot" is the little pier that the Mexican navy has there...not to worry, the navy guys are quite cool and they'll let cast to the resident tarpons...you will be mostly blind casting, but ANY baitfish imitation will work.
Bonefish are found everywhere, all the way up to Mahaual...just walk the beach and eventually, within a mile, you'll find Coco Beach resort.
I could write for hours...
If you need more infos, let me know.
BTW. at <nonsponsor link removed!> you'll find a ton of aerial pictures of the coast, from Cancun down to Belize.
If you want really LARGE tarpons, go to Isla Blanca, north of Cancun...but that's another ball game.
Goo luck'
Emilio :smokin:

#7 ·
tarponbum said:
I lived in Playa del Carmen for one year and I used to get the bus( from Playa) to Limones, a little village around Akumal( great lagoon and fishing, BTW..) and from Limones to XCALAK, the southern most tip of the Yucatecan peninsula, smack in front of the Belizean coast....just a few miles north of Ambergis Key.

Dude it's Patagonia catalogue material....fishing is KICK A##!
Tarponbum -

How would you rate Playa Del Carmen as a place to bring the wife on a romantic trip while possibly sneaking in a flat or two? By your description it sounds fantastic...

thanks in advance

#8 ·
Playa del Carmen is a great place to bring your significant other, yet being able to smuggle a flyrod or two..
plenty of night life, good accomodations and even better restaurants.
Google PdC and you'll find a ton of material.
Fishingwise, it's best if you can get transportation...30 minutes by car will put you on some good water, ie. Puerto Aventuras( just south of Playa) or ,even closer, the water at the southernmost end of Playacar Resort.
If I were you, though, I'd talk "the boss" into taking a two or three days trip south to Xcalack or Mahahual....
Check www.locogringo.com for graet aerial pics of the area.
For any question, you can PM me onthe Speypages( White Mouse).
Emilio

#11 ·
Riviera Maya (Looking for Profota)

Hi Profota,

I will be going to the Grand Palladium Resort in Riviera Maya the last week of May 2008.

I have been told that they allow DYI shore fishing along t he northern beach.

Any info/tips will be truly appreciated. Feel free to PM if so desired.

TIA,
Sully

Anyone else want to chime in with new reports / recent info. please do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.