OP report.... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2005, 09:55 AM

OP report....

From a fishing standpoint it doesn't get any better than this. The low flows of the rivers here on the OP are as Fly friendly as I suspect we will ever see. But holy cow are the fish scarce or did some higher power skunk up my fly boxes?
There are a few "Hot spots" mostly gear mob events clustered around hatchery runs at terminal and tidepool areas, but even though you can find well rested water with no boat traffic and no bootprints in the snow (other than your own) there seems to be a alot of vacant water re steelheads.
It is early in the season but it is late enough for the early fish to be sitting in there pools far from the maddening crowds. I am getting the imperssion that they might be hard too find this season.
Still afew Late Coho around to get a fellow all excited with a big yank on the end of the line but even thiough they are worthy fish there just ain't no explosion like the one I'm after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Pullin' Thread

This just can't be right. After all, the good Mayor and others on the Forks City Council were adamant about the abundance of steelhead in the west end OP rivers. The fish must just be hiding in the deep holes or waiting for the proper moon phase. I mean the Forks City Council and all those good old boy sportsfishers from around the state who jumped on the commission over the wild steelhead retention moratorium just couldn't be wrong about the abundance of steelhead in those rivers could they?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
oh mr. moonlight, i would have to disagree.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Guys, I am starting a project with UW and the prospect of regular travel for business is starting to look promising. Especialy when issues get too complicated for email and phone conferences. Funny how I am hoping for a really snarly project all of a sudden!

Of course along with my work duties I will volunteer to do a C&R study during personal hours.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Steelhead-a-holic

Smile Juro, you opportunistic dog!

Will this project coincidentally last thru the notorious Boston Winter??

I'll warn the Steelies next time I'm out~
Old 12-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I sure hope so! Right up until the end of April ideally

As far as warning the steelhead... after a ten year run of success since my relocation I am afraid such a warning will only get a laugh out of them - I think all my dance cards are used up with the big hens and the bucks had my number pretty much throughout 2005.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Talking

As long as you bring a modest amount of rain with you, both the Steelies and your angling bro's will welcome you!! It's D-R-Y over here!
Old 12-14-2005, 12:15 PM

Holy smoke stacks Spark my Rank was Captain refering to me as Mr. is a hurtful and derogatory expression I am crushed!
I just checked the WDFW web site and I see by my calculations that there have been a total of 9 steelheads caught since the start of December by 441 anglers for an average of.02 fish per angler. Unless you count Hathery fish it looks (and feels) pretty slow to me but then as you know I am a crankyy old fart that doesn't like people and hatchery fish in that order
I don't know why other than I actually am an optimist but I am going back out to my camp for a few days of morning Ice and afternoon sunshine later in the week.
I used to live in a Rain Forest
Old 12-14-2005, 12:35 PM

News today said that the F&G made a deal with tribe to split the surplus 600 fish on the Hoh. This would allow the sport season to continue for the entire season.
Those 600 wild fish would have been nice on the spawning beds instead of septic fertilizer in back woods communitties around the state.

Better ice than more global warming floods. Moonlight your camp has heat and always a large supply of warm liquid refreshment.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Pullin' Thread

Moonlight,

The outdoors column in the Skagit Valley Herald last Thursday written by Denny Church said there was excellent fishing on the Bogey for steelhead because 35% of the folks who went fishing reported hooking (notice not landing) at least one fish. Of course, this same fellow reported very good steelhead fishing on the Cascade River because 20% of the folks fishing had taken a fish. I guess his idea of good fishing and mine are very different. But you can be sure to expect more fisherfolk out your way as a result of his "report".

It amazes me the scribes are telling folks how great the fishing is over your way when it doesn't appear to me like there is anything other than a poor return going on this year.

OC,

Does this mean the Hoh Tribe has agreed to quit fishing once 300 fish are caught in the nets, or that the tribe will only be fishing 3 days/week instead of 5?

Although it is good news to hear that a deal has been struck with the tribe, it seems to me that Bolt ought to trump the Hoh's ability to take more than half of the roughly 600 surplus wild fish. Perhaps the tribe is reticent to have this tested in the courts.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Flytyer,

I read Denny's article and do not see anything like the precentages that you claim he wrote.

Denny wrote the folowing about the Bogey;

"On the Olympic Peninsula, 109 anglers boated 82 hatchery steelhead on the Bogachiel-Quillayute System, while another 57 anglers were checked with 22 steelhead on the lower Hoh."

Not sure how the above equates to 35%. Perhaps you can show me.

On the Cascade Denny wrote;

"The first steelhead limit was reported in the Cascade last week on an afternoon when a total of six fish were caught. Expect crowded fishing conditions, especially on weekends. "

Six fish caught by how many angelrs? He doesn't say. So how did you arrive at the 20% catch rate?

Come on Russ lets get real here.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Pullin' Thread

Kerry,

OK. Here's real percentages (as reported by Denny Church) for all the folks looking a place to get a steelhead at this time here in Puget Sound or on the Olympic Peninsula.

The Bogey is producing lots of fish with its 76% catch rate for fishers in boats. The Hoh is also pretty hot because 38% of the anlgers in the lower Hoh have caught fish. And don't forget the Cascade, since it produced it first limit of 2 steelhead/angler one afternoon 2 weeks ago and a total of 6 steelhead were landed that same afternoon from this little river in the area near the hatchery; therefore, it is also a good bet for those looking for a fish to take home, besides, it is a lot closer to Bellingham, Everett, and Seattle than the Bogey and Hoh.

These rivers seem to be pretty hot right now, so go out and fish them while the fishing is good.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

I have been fishing the Skagit and honestly the fishing has been good. This isn't the Cascade but the fish in the Skagit are more then likely heading for the Cascade and besides there really isn't much room on the Cascade to swing a big ass spey rod around. Tends to piss the locals off. You would know that if you ever fished up there. Try fishing once in awhile and maybe you will know a little more about what river is putting out fish.

Denny is a friend of mine so if you want to bad mouth him about his column then get your facts lined up Russ, other wise keep you comments to yourself.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Pullin' Thread

Kerry,

I fish the Cascade with a 2-hander and have never had a problem with locals. I've even had local gear guys stop and talk to me and had some very pleasant conversations with them, even shared runs with them. By the way, I also fish the Cascade upriver 15 miles from Rockport with a 2-hander.

In the spirit of honesty, being real, and getting my acts straight, there was a new fishing report written by Mr. Church in today's newspaper, which says that the Skagit continues to produce mixed reports. Fly rodders and float fishermen have been doing well on chum above Rockport on purple, pink, and black color combinations. It was also reported that the guides who have been working the Skagit below the Cascade have been hooking steelhead on a regular basis since December 1st. And on occassion they even limit out their clients on both steelhead and coho.

But the extremely low and clear water conditions on the Cascade River have slowed the success rate on it. The anglers see the steelhead and the steelhead see the anglers; but only a small number of interactions are being reported. And don't forget that most hatchery steelhead enter the Skagit during the first significant rains after December 12th.

Hope folks reading the board find this information helpful if they are looking for a place to hook fish in Puget Sound. I'd sure head up to the Skagit between Marblemount and Rockport, since that is where the limits have been gotten.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:38 PM

Kerry and Russ, will you two join me and my entire company, 116 employees for the Christmas week fly fishing on the Skagit? After the glowing reports on skagit fishing that we are getting from you two who by the way must be best of friends, we have decided to extend our holiday party. We will bring the booze, herbs, fruits, vegitables and the flies, you guys bring the pie.

Hope you two have a great holiday with your families, and maybe we will see you up your way in January.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.