New wonderline - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Pullin' Thread

New wonderline

I hear tell of a new wonderline known as the "Yancy Line" designed by a certain PNW steelhead god. Seems it is claimed by him to make the use of 2-handed rods obsolete and unnecessary for steelhead fishing with the fly. And let us not forget this new line also "restores the joy of fishing with lighter equipment", which lets you better feel the fight of the fish while allowing very long casts due to the line's special flat mono running line.

This special line has a floating 20' shooting head rear section ('er I mean line belly) that has a loop on the front to allow you to loop 15' floating and sinking tips to for complete interchangeability and usefulness while producing a line with a belly (or is that shooting head) of sufficient length for pleasurable casting. And the best part is this special "line body" is attached to a special flat mono running line via a special process (or is that whipped splice) in order to make it a complete line that will shoot farther and easier than any other line ever made for steelhead. Of course this new wonderline was developed and designed by him and two of his friends and fishing buddies.

Hmmmm...... I do wonder though if this now means that those northern CA steelheaders and the shad and trout fishers who ply the Delaware between NY and PA will now have to pay him royalties for having been using the shooting heads of 30'-35' with floating bodies and interchangeable 10'-15' tips for at least 30 years. However, these don't have a clue northern CA steelheaders, and the shad and trout fishers of the Delaware, have not been doing it correctly since they never bothered to splice their running lines to the shooting head ('er I mean special line belly) and some of them use regular round mono like Amnesia or even (Gasp!) coated small diameter running line with their heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Guess I can sell off all my two-handers and give up on the joy of Spey casting in exchange for this sure-fire new approach. So far I've found it to be the most satisfying, pleasant and challenging type of casting but if this system is going to get me to an even higher nirvana well so be it
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-09-2005, 11:22 AM

Sixty Years Later!

From ggacc.org, history of the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club:

Members Phil Miravalle and Jim Green introduced monofilament as a running line for distance fly casting in 1946 and revolutionized fly casting.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Pullin' Thread

Bob,

Now you know that just can't be right because this steelhead god from here in WA State just recently came up with this new, sure-fire approach after extensive development and testing with the help of his two best fishing buddies.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:56 PM

flytyer,

I'm glad you are taking over my crusade! And I'm sure you have got my old buddy ST's bazzar mind in a rage over your post. Thanks and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Pullin' Thread

Hey OC,

Just helping keep our community of steelhead fly fishers up-to-date on the latest developments from one of the most prolific developers of new (and much better than what has been available before dare I add ) steelhead fly fishing lines, rods, and of course his famous fly, which I understand ST found a copy of on the banks of an S river last winter.

'Tis indeed a merry time of year, especially with the new things this god has come up with recently. I mean the rest of us won't have a chance, unless we get some of his new developments.

I suppose you, I, and the tipper are going to have to admit that we are uniformed, and have never caught a steelhead because we just don't know how. Hey, we could always ask for the fine Christmas gift of the course and learn from this master, then we might be able to get a fish!
Old 12-10-2005, 03:51 AM

His famous fly? Is this the guy who rocks fish, usues copious amounts of lead and tried to copywrit some pheasant feathers wrapped around a hook?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:34 AM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

does he also show up 3,000 miles away to film a tv show with an illeagle rig? naw it can't possibly be the same guy. what ever happened to the mythological mysis shrimp of lake erie? damn, i just tied 1,000 for the shop now we need to film a new show to spur sales. maybe 3 flies together would work even better. what also amazes me is how small these lines are, one could almost say they were...tiny!?

Last edited by BLACK FRANCIS; 12-10-2005 at 05:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Make it a double!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescaphile
His famous fly? Is this the guy who rocks fish, usues copious amounts of lead and tried to copywrit some pheasant feathers wrapped around a hook?
Nope. This is a different guy. More of a localized steelhead hero.

Click here for cool art from the NW
Old 12-10-2005, 06:06 PM

But wait, he taught me how to have a campout

Please say Hi to Mr. Wonderline and his pack of water slapping sea donkeys for me. you'll know its them when they float over your line.

Ever since he taught me how to camp, I've been in the woods.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Pullin' Thread

Pescaphile and Black Francis,

Like Kevin said, it is a different guy. This fellow runs a steelhead fly fishing school, says catching winter steelhead has something to do with *****, and has been known to advertise C&R fishing trips for salmon on closed waters on his web site.

Last edited by andre; 12-11-2005 at 02:43 PM. Reason: getting too specific
Old 12-11-2005, 02:44 PM

Guys lets keep it civil
Old 12-12-2005, 02:36 PM

You know, I just like using the big rod. I love the rhythm and pace I fall into while swinging it, and I feel I can fish the fly more effectively with the extra length.

I started using a 14 footer on the Deschutes about a decade ago, and while it took me a long time to get proficient with it, it has become my favorite tool for fishing this river. It's not because I can cast to the far side of Pluto with it, because I can't. I fish with a 40 double taper salmon line and seriously doubt if I've ever cast more than 90', even in a tail wind. Most of my casts are 70 feet or less, but they are well placed, consistent and controlled. Since Deschutes fish lie pretty close to the bank, I don't think I'm at any disadvantage, save when I'm trying to land a fish and the rod gets tangled in the alders.

Different strokes for different folks and for different situations. Under those conditions where I can use the big rod effectively, I think I'll stick with it. Just because I love it.

Cheers,

Eric (somewhere in Germany)
Old 12-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Pullin' Thread

Eric,

Not to worry because as sinktip and OC have recently reported, this fellow is working on a new line of light 2-handers that will make using a 2-hander just as much fun as a single-hander. Since he is working on these new light 2-handers, he will most likely also have a suitable 2-hand "Yancy Line" shooting head (which of course he will have developed) complete with intergrated flat mono running line and interchangeable tips (available only from him of course to insure they are made properly) custom tuned and designed for these new light 2-handers.

Therefore, those of us who like using 2-handers and spey casting will be the beneficiaries of these wonderful and newsworthy new developments in lines and 2-hand rods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.