Anyone fished Placencia, Belize? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2005, 02:08 PM

Anyone fished Placencia, Belize?

I am thinking about a March trip to Placencia, Belize. The idea is to go to a spot where the whole family can have something to do, while I fish most of the time. The lodge I am looking at is Robert's Grove which seems to fit the bill.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this lodge, and am mainly curious to see how the fishing was (professionalism of operation, good guides and boats, proximity to flats, etc.).

Thanks, Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2006, 11:19 AM

Placencia, Belize - Robert's Grove

Greg,
I fished Placencia last August out of Roberts Grove and highly recommend the locale. The fishing was excellent....plenty of bonefish (tailing schools of 100+ were common) but smaller than what you'll see in the Keys (3-5lbs, etc.). The permit flats were plentiful and you'll get a large number of quality shots at some very good-sized permit. The tarpon were also cooperative in the rivers and coves. This area will give you as good a shot at a Slam as you can hope for.
There was also plenty to do for my family of non-fishers...snorkeling, eco trips to Cockscomb basin (jaguar preserve). manatee watching, etc. I have 2 kids, 9 and 13, and they had a great time. My wife loved the resort service, etc. The town of Placencia is small but has great character. I highly recommend Eworth Garbutt as a guide. He was outstanding and patient with my rusty double-haul. I definitely plan on going back.
Have fun if you go,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.