What do you think? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2005, 02:23 PM

Question What do you think?

First of all I have never fished for Bonefish but wiil do so in the near future. So here is what I saw on the web and would like some imput from the experienced Bonefishermen on the Forum.
Does the weight of the fly line that you are using effect and spook Bonefish on the Flats? If you use a 6wt line would your catch rate be higher than if you used an 8wt line or does this really matter? FishHawk

Last edited by FishHawk; 11-30-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2005, 02:58 PM

Considerations would be: how deep is the water? Are the fish tailing? Are you fishing a big fly (crab)?

I would say the caster's ability to present the fly accurately and delicately with either rod is more important than the rod weight itself. If you can fire off a quick, accurate 50 footer you should be in good shape.

You might want to consider a fast 7wt which gives you the best of both worlds. I like to fish the lightest line I can be accurate with.

I practice in the back yard with a floating line, 15 foot leader and a hookless fly. Great way to tune up for the trip.

Last edited by BigDave; 11-30-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:59 PM

I think the answer is yes, and one should use the lightest line that doesn't detract from casting range and accuracy. moving down one line size will make a noticable difference; however, that's offen accompanied with a decrease in range and accuracy which tends to negte any gains.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:03 PM
In moderation

Hi FishHawk
In my experience a delicate presentation is necesary when the conditions dictate.

In really shallow water in a flat calm a really delicate presentation is necesary.

When it is windy and there is a ripple on the water then the fish are not so easily spooked.

There is one exception to that and that is in the Keys where the fish are very spooky all of the time.

My standard equipment for bones is an 8wt which handles all situations quite well.

The only time I would consider using a 6wt is when the fish are very small like in Ascension Bay or Belize.

Pete
Old 11-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Flats Rat

Couple of thoughts based on my experiences.

Big heavy flies that splash down in skinner water do spook bonefish - most of the time. Sometimes they'll pounce on anything, Other times the shadow of a bird flying overhead will send them off with a roar of rooster tails. Heavilly fished areas tend to have spookier fish - most of the time

It is easier to make a delicate presentation with a 6wt than with a 9wt but the prevailing wind is always a factor, especially springtime in the Bahamas. On a guided trip you can carry two rods and have the guide carry the spare.

I've never fished anything less than 9wt for bones, mostly because its usually blowing a nice steady 20 - 25kts. I would definitely fish my 7wt rig if I could count on the wind staying down.

I 'm more concened about the quality of the reel and adequate backing than the power of the rod. Getting fish to hand in the quickest possible time is a consideration since there always seem to be plenty of toothy critters (sharks, barracuda et al) nearby to polish off an exhausted bonefish that just gave you the fight of a lifetime.

When things get super spooky / skinny I increase leader length up to 20ft+ and go with weightless flies.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:45 PM

All things being equal, a six weight would be more stealthy. That advantage could be diminished if the line is too light to cast the fly effectively. I think a lot of experienced flats fishermen are fishing lighter lines than they used to. At least for permit and tarpon.
I don't think a six weight would be anyone's first choice for a bone fish rod. Having said that, the Sage TCR six weight with the 6wt Sage equator taper is a pretty good rod for all but the heaviest eyed flies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.