peacock bass on a fly - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2005, 10:58 PM

peacock bass on a fly

has anyone in here ever peacock bass fished on a fly? if so is a 10wt big enough and where can i get more info on a trip down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2005, 09:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Never have, but I've watched so much about it on TV and read so much about it that I know a few things.

A 10 wt is more than big enough. Most of the fishing I've seen is with a 7 or 8 wt.

As for more info on a trip, where are you talking about? The Amazon? How remote a place are you looking for?
Old 11-30-2005, 10:13 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Drop a PM to nmbrowncom, who regularly visits the amazon to pursue these incredible gamefish.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 11-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Fly chucker

If you go to the Amazon where these fish get to twenty pounds, you'll be thankful to have a ten weight rod. However, for fishing in the Florida canals and such I'd say that the seven or eight weight that teflon mentioned above is just right.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:50 AM

Hi,

IŽve just came back fro Rio Negro, Brasil. IŽll be fishing peacocks in the 4 to 8 pound range because the river was high and the big ones didŽnt appear. I used an 8 # and 10# weight rods, G.loomis Nautikos, and I tell you that from the second day I only used the 10#. The 8# was almost inneficent to take the fishes out of the trees. I canŽt imagine what a 15 to 20 punder can do with a fly rod!!

Jose
Old 12-14-2005, 06:00 AM

i concur with dubl haul. if you're going to the amazon, you want a 9 or 10 wt. with a very strong butt section. i use an 8' 9 wt gloomis crosscurrent and an 8' 10 weight bass pro extreme. it's a good stout and quite inexpensive rod. this fishing is not graceful. you got to put the arm to them particularly in high water conditions which now exist. leaders should be short (4-5ft) and very stout.-2ft 80lb shock and 3ft 50 lb tippet. sounds crazy but not only are these fish super strong but the river is loaded with under water trees and stuff for the fish to wrap your line around-and as soon as they are hooked, the head straight and fast for the closest cover. you need to muscle them to prevent them from getting there or risk losing your line. and you are throwing very big flies 6"-10". so, no matter how rediculous it sounds you will not regret the short stout leader. as i said before, you want BIIIIG flies. multi colored and contrasting colors. this year i tied up a bunch of large flatwings. they are big-up to 14" and very light . but, theyre all made from bucktail and feathers and won't last long. synthetics are far more durable but i find them harder to cast when that large. as for lines, with the high water now in the amazon you need a sinking tip, and i would bring tropical lines only. i use a 475 gr sink tip. probably over kill, but it does get down fast. an intermediate sink tip is a good choice if the water is not too high. and of course a floating line for the great top water action if there is any. i got the rio tropical clouser lines. they have a heavy head and can turn over those large flies. make sure you bring back up rods. odds are you'll break at least one. agood web site is peacockbassassociation.com

Last edited by nmbrowncom; 12-14-2005 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:13 AM
Fly chucker

Sounds like my kind of fishing!

Some day, some day..........
Old 02-14-2006, 08:22 PM

Sorry about this late post. Just noticed that the thred died on 12/14/05. But I was so excited to write about peacock bass...I jsut got carried away.

I call peacock bass fishing, action fishing. It's not nearly in the same skill league as sight fishing on the flats, but the action is stupendous. At least one shot at peacock bass fishing in the Amazon (not Lake Guri, but the Brazilian or Venezualan Amazon) is a must for fishermen of all persuasions. Save up the money and I guaranty you won't be disappointed. It is just about the best top water fishing there is. To my limited way of thinking, if you can't catch peacock bass on the surface, why bother. They consistently have the most impressive top water strike there is.

I've used mostly 9 and 10 wt travel rods. Short leaders as PB ain't shy and it makes tossing big flies a lot easier. As for tying on the fly/popper, I've never used more than 20# tippets. Best line I've used has been the Mastery Horizon Tarpon line. I don't use sinking lines (even when fishing for tarpon). Just me. If I can't sight the fish (as in flats fishing) or can't get him to hit on the top (BTW, males are the bigger ones of the PB species), I might as well not fish. Well, not completely true. I once used a light spinning rod with a 5" Amazon Ripper when the big PB weren't coming up for my poppers. In deep water conditions, surface fishing with a fly rod is just about impossible. Spin fishing was the only way I was going to have surface action this particular trip.

I do throw streamers with a floating line. I don't let the streamer sink deep and moving it rapidly, just below the surface, will still develop great surface strikes. Something like a submarine rapidly breaching the surface. This works best in shallow water, 3-6 feet. As one will be casting all day in 85-95 degree temps, really haven't used monster flies in order to conserve my energies. My biggest streamers are maybe 7" and my simple poppers (closed cell foam with 1/2' to 3/4" diameter head) would have an overall length of 5-6". So far in my 5 trips down south, the biggest fish on a popper was about 18# and on a streamer, about 20#. Of course, I can't say anything about the ones I lost, can I?

Perhaps the most difficult thing there is in fly fishing for PB is the controlling the fish as they head for the huge number of sunken tree parts in the river. For, once he gets there, it is bye, bye fish...no chance of getting him out with a fly rod. Although, if he gets tangled up, the guide will certainly jump in to get him for a picture. Anyway, once the fish strikes and is hooked, you've got to get the excess line on to the reel, pronto, if you are to control the fish. If the fish is 10-15#, or more, this is no easy feat. Unlike when trying to get a tarpon on the reel, where you have wide open spaces and are usually not concerned about hang ups, with PB it is a whole different matter. As the fish motors to the nearest tree, you've got to hold on to the line to stop him and reel up the slack at the same time. Lots a luck! First, of course, holding too tight will snap the leader. Second, holding a little less tight may not stop the fish and will give you one of the greatest line burns you've ever had. Thirdly, as it has happened to me, the fish might pull you out of the boat...well, almost. Had this fish on. He was pulling to a nearby tree. I'm holding on tight to the rod and line at the same time, and furiosly reeling in the slack. The slack line is jumping all over the place and wraps around the rod handle's butt. All of a sudden, everything goes taut, and because I'm hold tight to the rod and line, I get pulled over into the boat's bottom, and the line snaps. Like I said, I almost got pulled out of the boat. And how big was this fish that did this to me? Maybe 12-15#. Need I say more...have a great trip.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Fly chucker

Thanks for those insights Adam.

As for the question of why persue these fish any other way than topwater, my answer is simple: I'll take one any way I can get it.

Some day.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:22 PM

Jose

Sure would like to try!! FL canal peacock on #7 or #8 is OK. I use a #7 and had no trouble ( except for my own mistakes); largest LM was a little over 9#; Preacock around 5#.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.