So who are the yak guys here ? - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2001, 03:29 PM
Yak Guy

So who are the yak guys here ?

New to site wondering who are the yak guys.Who are you?Where do you fish ? What kind of yak do you have?
I paddle a Pungo .
I fish where ever they are hitting.Mostly Ct.
joev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2001, 04:25 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
I am in Boston now. I have a OK Frenzy Sit on top. Mainly use it on the cape and RI shore, since I grew up in CT and my parents still live there. Haven't launched near my parents home in Mystic, I usually prefer to hit the Misquamicut beaches.

Nick
Old 11-05-2001, 06:01 PM

I fished from the yak a fair amount this year. Mostly in the Plymouth Duxbury area. I paddle a green pungo.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
yellow pungo here, I used to fish the Duxbury area, and down the cape. but haven't done enough this year to say I fish mainly in any spot. Tom D
Old 11-06-2001, 09:07 AM

I donít fish from my yak but I use it to get from spot to spot. Iím not comfortable with trying to land a fish from it yet. I hooked a nice blue when I had Striblues tri-balance and had a hell of a time turning the fish/ keeping it from tangling in the outriggers. Handling the fish isnít a problem, itís keeping form breaking my rod tht concerns me most. Iím thinking about hand lining/ trolling a fly line next season.

We were kicking around the idea this weekend of a yak forum, maybe itís a good idea. I think safety is an important issue that many of us ignore.

I live next door to Duxbury Bay but havenít fished it in 2 years (almost Tod!), now that Iím yakable, we should host some type of clandestine gathering, yaks only, fly rod only, natural flies only, floating lines only, one backcast only, sight fishing onlyÖ Sorry, I guess the few snowflakes I saw last night are getting to me.

Actually, Juro donated a found/ run-over surfcasting outfit to me which with some repairs could be a decent yak Ė trolling rod.

Oh yeah, I have a blood red Wilderness Systems Manteo.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:33 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
I'll follow Senior Roopster anywhere except into flack...in my air superiority blue Manteo (unless I happen to be paddlin' around in the AreaSixtyOne demo Pungo reserved for Jim Doogue when he's in town) Chatham inside/outside and WatchHill/Stonington are my most common put-ins...and I use the Yak to get to where I can wade fish since it's so easy to high-stick/break a rod while trying to land a non-cooperative victim...and the idea of a YAK attack sounds good to me!
Old 11-06-2001, 09:51 AM

Check out the New Yak Attack Forum under the Gear Review Section.

I guess I spoke too soon...
Old 11-06-2001, 11:54 AM
BB5 Survivor

never made it out in the pungo this year....but have it an excellent fish guage..."nantucket sleighrides" only occur if the striper is 24" or up....

splash it all over -- loads of fun yakking at night -- worm hatches, slurping bass.....it can be awesome.

-j
Old 11-06-2001, 01:37 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

I have had my eye on yaks and pontoons for awhile. I haven't picked one up yet, But hope to join the yak group next season. I have been looking at the different types and there are many now. I saw a little buyers guide article in the Fly Fish America Sept 2001 issue with what looks like all of the available makes with spec listed and retail pricing. The had little sections on recreational, touring, sit-on top, folding and inflatables. Their favorite as it turned out for Fly Fishing was Walden Scout in part due to their accessories like their work deck as "the perfect stripping apron". They also had the Ccotty fly rod holders ($25) for Yaks, canoes etc... very nice. http://www.waldensports.com

Greg.
Old 11-06-2001, 03:26 PM
Yak Guy

Greg try out this link http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/
They got em all.
Try before you buy.
joev
Old 11-06-2001, 04:54 PM
President of CAC

I have a tri-balance... very stable and fast.. I fish from it and have trolled as I go from place to place around Chatham.. I have every conceivable accouterment for it.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:22 AM
Yak Guy

Striblue Your tri bal do you have problems fighting fish in it with those out riggers?How does it handle in waves with a short frequency?
joev
Old 11-07-2001, 08:13 AM
Here fishy fishy

Roop - fish busting right alongside Powderpoint Bridge yesterday morning!!! It's not too late!!!

Does a canoist-eying-a-kayak-over-the-winter count? Spent a lot of time on Duxbury/Kingston/Plymouth bays this summer in my old town discovery. Love it for fishing the shallows, but as everyone knows it is an absolute sail when the wind picks up. Eyeing an offseason kayak purchase... A guy can dream.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:15 AM
President of CAC

Joev.. I have never had trouble fighting or landing a fish... If it does tangle under the pontoons I could move my rod easily around it... I know Roop has had some issue and I am sure it could cause a problem depending on how the fish reacts. But ,for me , and the ability to stand and feel more secure around the Chatham waters is worth it. It has great storage capabilities.. tracks well turns can be more difficult that the usual yak but it is very streamline.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:49 AM
Yak Guy

Striblue , How about the waves? Whats it like when they hit ya broadside?I am asking because thinking about one. Would like more speed than my Pungo.
Thanks joev

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.