Rate your warmwater season - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Fly chucker

Rate your warmwater season

So how was everybody's warmwater season this year?

I had an excellent spring with the pike and smallmouth at Lake Ontario. The smallmouth on the CT River were a bit more elusive for me this year, but the quarry ponds got renewed interest from me because of my initial use of the kayak. Bluegills and largemouth are a blast from that craft.

To be honest, most of my efforts this year were spent in the salt. I blame this on the kayak. And now that I think about it, I didn't go trout fishing once, although I did catch an occasional brown while nymphing for smallies.

Now that the initial kayak fervor is over, I plan to hit more warmwater stuff next season. I promise. But what warmwater fishing I did get in this year was good.
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2005, 08:16 PM

Hi DblH

was a fun one- caught the usual 34-38" Channel Cats/up to 37" Carp and some new species on new river systems with new tactics

Bigmouth Buffallo- what a fight - had one to 33" and ~ 20lbs
Freshwater Drum on the light( 7/8 wt )Spey rod a real treat
Walleye
Smallies
Goldeye
Sauger
Quillback

can,t say I miss trout after nearly 40 years chasing them- this warmwater stuff is fun))

its icing up now- so i'll have to tie till next season-

Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2005, 07:11 AM

WoooooHoooooooo!!!!! Lots and lots of fish. Built my first rod, a 2 pc, 8ft, 4wt Batson blank from Hook and Hackle. A new personal best LMB- which I hope to re-catch to weigh and measure it next year and hopefully best it as well. Caught Bass, Bluegill, and Crappie on the same fly while standing in the same spot. Used the internet and satellite imagery to discover and map 30 new ponds all within my daily drive route to and from work. And.........just yesterday I scored on one of those ponds, a 19inch LMB with a 12 Inch girth that gave me a good tug on the new 4 wt plus some decent 8 inch bluegills (both species caught on black bead head spiders) while casting straight into a gusty, chilly North wind.........brrrrrr........gotta get some neoprene gloves to keep on fishing. So I'm thinking the proverbial Fat Lady has yet to sing for me.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:33 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
It's been kind of a slow year around in this part of the midwest, local bass lakes have been pretty shut down since early spring, but occasionally if the timing is just right, you can nail prefrontal bass on poppers. As for trips up north to Minnesota, the northern were biting fairly slow on conventional tackle leaving the flyguys one or two. Still nothing tremendously large and I still have yet to crack a 30" on fly. The smallmouth have fairly slow everwhere, but occasionally good fishing was found in moving water.

Hot patterns- Sparse red and white ostrich herl decievers for pike
marabou fruit cocktails with a large popping head for largemouth
and for smallmouth, epoxy minnows fished very close to the bottom
Old 11-26-2005, 01:32 PM

Good thread! If I had to rate my season based on # and quantity of WW fish only, I'd have to rate in as just "OK." Had some decient trips with one or two respectable smallies and largemouth but nothing huge in size or quantities. Not allot of big gills this year either. However, overall, I'm pumped ! After 35yrs of devoted WW and Sw fishing, ( the last 15 of which with the long rod), I had just about lost interest for the past 2 years. i.e little to no fishing, no tying, rod building, tacle fiddling etc. I guessed it was because I've been workig a new high stress, fast paced job that time. I also guessed that the loss of touch with several of my fishing buds didn't help either. In any case, I felt burnt out. Anyway, this year I did some smallie fishing on a regular basis with a good /old friend. Got some stripper fishing in too. Bottom line, it rejuvinated me . Didn't take long to start tying, wrapping and generally slipping back into the FF way of life. Banner season here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2005, 12:40 PM
_

My season was pretty good. I was able to use the boat a lot, so often that I just kept it on the roof of the car from the end of June through the end of August! Had a blast with big topwater flies on the river-- got my best flyrod largemouth to date and had some spectacular pike attacks . Got a few decent carp and plenty of smaller ones. Even got a "warmwater" trout !

Looking forward to the fly swaps to help pass the time during the off-season. Also looking forward to reviving the plans for a warmwater clave somewhere in the Northeast.

Q
Old 11-27-2005, 01:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I had my best warmwater season ever! It was probably my worst trout season ever, but the rest more than made up for it.

Let's start with largemouth: I landed two over 5 pds, several over 4 lbs, a bunch over 3, and more 2+ lb bass than I can count.

Smallmouth: Several that were around 4 pounds, plus a bunch over 2 lbs.

Landlocked salmon: I landed my first ever in the first trip I ever took to fish for them, and it was on a fly I tied myself. Can it get much better?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.