Why Does This Season Suk so Bad? - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2005, 03:56 PM

Why Does This Season Suk so Bad?

I was wondering what the forum resident (amateur and not) biologists think is the cause of the lack of fish caught.

I'm a fly angler that fishes only the Catt. This season has been the worst in the last 6 years since I started fishing the Catt. My best day this year has seen a total of 5 fish and its getting worse as we near Christmas this year, several zero fish days this fall already. Compared to well into double digits as a best day in previous years.

From what I can tell the run peaked last week in Oct, first week in Nov.
Would it be fair to say that most other rivers are slow too? Its slow all over right - Saugeen, Elk, Maitland, Oak Orchard, Salmon, Grand - right Peter? I would sure like to hear from someone that is not having a slow season on there home runs.

There is lots of chatter along the river about the causes. I've heard lots of things - "well the fish are here, they are just not active" - thats crap - if the fish are in the river resourcefull fisherman will key in on what they are eating (and they must eat to live) and catch representative numbers.

More stories - "well the run has not come in yet, its not going to come in big this year, perhaps some fish will not spawn this year because of the warm water and long summer" - sorry I don't buy it, if you were a steelhead and only lived to perhaps 5 years old, would you skip mating for one year when you only mate perhaps 3 times in your life time? highly unlikely I'd say.

I should'nt be so hard on people that start conjecture about what the causes of the slow season might be. As a matter of fact thats why I started this note - to try and understand why the things are so slow. Please comment on why you think this season is so slow. The problem solver fisherman in us needs to explain this - or at least try.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2005, 08:41 PM

no fish

I ALL SO THINK YOU ARE RIGHT, i have had a number of on fish trips to .the fish are very slow entering the catt. this year. the guides are having off days too. I think they still have not come in from the lakeyet. Even 10 miles up stream , the fish just stared showing up 2 weeks ago. the best is yet to come
Old 11-22-2005, 12:22 AM
chromedome

All opinions I've heard seem to echo lack of fish. I'll add this. Last summer while practise casting on the upper Niagara (downriver of Lake Erie) I noted a lot of dead fish. While just one of these was a steelie, off from Grand Island, the presence of these dead fish might say something about the general health of Lake Erie. I contacted the DEC but wasn't at all convinced I got their attention.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:13 AM

I think we're seeing the results of stocking many more fish than the ecosystem can support. Predator population is on it's way down, and (according to Volterra predator-prey thy) will stabilize at a number low enough to allow the prey to bounce back. I don't think the bottom-out and equilibrium points are known at this time.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:53 AM

I think a combination of factors is the root cause. Chromedome and Josko’s theories and observations both hold some water. In my experience the steelhead runs seem to go in cycles of roughly 5 or 6 years, probably influenced by such things as fish kills, stocking policies, invasive species and other factors. You will have 1 or 2 good years followed by a year or two of decline, then you will have 1 or 2 bad years. Keep in mind that I have only been fishing the great lakes tribs for about 25 years, and that’s not really a long time when considering such cycles. It seems to me that some of the cycles are worse than others. 1995 was a very bad year, on par with this year.

At this point in time I don’t think there is much we can do about this years run of fish. Lets just hope that next years runs are better and lets hope that more people get involved with conservation efforts to protect the resource.

Charlie
Old 11-22-2005, 11:26 AM

Don't have Charlie's breadth of experience but the experts say that these things run in cycles and I have no reason to doubt them. More worrying though is the rate of change of the ecology of the lakes and the warming trends in our local climate. This fall seemed to drag the warm, dry weather on and on so with the low, warm rivers, it may just be a case of the runs being very late. At least I hope so.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dornblaser
The Alewive population has crashed in Lake Michigan. At the stocking conference there were recommendations to reduce the stockings of Kings in 2006.

Adding to the problem, in WI, the rivers are very low as Northern Illinois and parts of WI are still in a drought.

Stocking Conference Thread

David
Old 11-22-2005, 03:03 PM

I’m not too up on Lake Erie or the Catt but I believe that the DEC stopped stocking Domestic bows in the Catt several years ago. Historically, many of the Fall fish in the Catt (especially the early returning fish) are the domestics. Again somebody correct me if I am wrong on this one but that may have something to do with it.

On a somewhat related side note…I know that there have been some discussions in the past about building a fish ladder at the Springville dam on the Catt…or possibly breaching it. This would open up a mind-boggling amount of new nursery water for spawning Steelhead. I know that there are concerns such as landowner rights, lamprey control, and impacts on established wild rainbow and brown trout fisheries upstream of the dam. There are no doubt politics that I am not aware of also. I’m not really surprised that there has never been a fish ladder installed just that I never really hear Steelhead anglers push for it. In my mind if you want to improve the returns of fish on the Catt then this might be a good start. Wild fish generally recruit better than stocked fish.

Tight lines
Old 11-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Thumper of Drum.

Send a message via AIM to Jamey McLeod Send a message via MSN to Jamey McLeod Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey McLeod
Everybody is all doom and gloom here also (west MI). Where I fish has only really gotten going in the past two weeks, about 2 weeks later than usual. Other than the late start, things have been going very well for me. I would agree that limiting the numbers of stocked kings, and maybe the Lakers all together would help the Alewife populations
Old 11-22-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey McLeod
Everybody is all doom and gloom here also (west MI). Where I fish has only really gotten going in the past two weeks, about 2 weeks later than usual. Other than the late start, things have been going very well for me. I would agree that limiting the numbers of stocked kings, and maybe the Lakers all together would help the Alewife populations
Jamey,

The Lakers are Natives. Does MI stock Lakers? IL, IN don't and I don't believe WI does.

David
Old 11-22-2005, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dornblaser
Jamey,

The Lakers are Natives. Does MI stock Lakers? IL, IN don't and I don't believe WI does.

David
Dornblaser,
I just checked the GLFC website for every year since 1990. Lake trout have been stocked in large numbers each year, predominantly by MI and WI although IN and IL have also thrown some into the mix.

The following is a great resource for finding stocking records. http://www.glfc.org/fishstocking/

All the online info I could find suggests that the vast majority of lake trout in Michigan are stocked fish, as is the case with three lakes downhill from Michigan.

PEte

PS, our season in Ontario was also sucking on the majority of our rivers until recently. For the last couple of weeks there have been enough fresh fish in most of our rivers to keep me quite confused as to where to go

Last edited by PEte A; 11-22-2005 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:08 PM

PEte A,

Thanks. I know about steelhead stockings; however, I should have checked before I spoke off the top of my head about the Lakers. Even though they are stocked now, they are the natives.

However, it is interesting that Chinooks are the "eating machines" and, at least, in Lake Michigan are the species sought after by the charter Captains who are very vocal with the WI, IL, IN & MI DNR's.

I would like to also point out the water temps of some of the tribs have been very warm this fall. This may be due to the drought. WI, because of the nature of her rivers, is more effected than the MI tribs. (I have no familarity with none of the other GL's).

No conclusions here, just something to thing about over the winter.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEte A
Dornblaser,
I just checked the GLFC website for every year since 1990. Lake trout have been stocked in large numbers each year, predominantly by MI and WI although IN and IL have also thrown some into the mix.

The following is a great resource for finding stocking records. http://www.glfc.org/fishstocking/

All the online info I could find suggests that the vast majority of lake trout in Michigan are stocked fish, as is the case with three lakes downhill from Michigan.

PEte

PS, our season in Ontario was also sucking on the majority of our rivers until recently. For the last couple of weeks there have been enough fresh fish in most of our rivers to keep me quite confused as to where to go
Old 11-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Thumper of Drum.

Send a message via AIM to Jamey McLeod Send a message via MSN to Jamey McLeod Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey McLeod
I believe the feds do the laker stocking here in MI. The strain they plant now don't run the rivers, atleast the vast majority don't. They spawn on the deep shoals. The majority of the charter guys go for kings and coho, meaning a good chunk of the tourist dollars coming into west MI, and the town I live in, are for salmon. I never hear about anybody targeting lakers, period. I know they are native, but since the MIDNR (as well as the Indiana, Illinois and Wisconson equivalents) has turned Lake MI into a tourist trap trout pond, whats the point. If the state(s) is/are looking for the most bang for the buck, why plant a species that competes for the same food as the $almon, but don't bring in the revenues?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Thumper of Drum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas
On a somewhat related side note…I know that there have been some discussions in the past about building a fish ladder at the Springville dam on the Catt…or possibly breaching it. This would open up a mind-boggling amount of new nursery water for spawning Steelhead. I know that there are concerns such as landowner rights, lamprey control, and impacts on established wild rainbow and brown trout fisheries upstream of the dam. There are no doubt politics that I am not aware of also. I’m not really surprised that there has never been a fish ladder installed just that I never really hear Steelhead anglers push for it. In my mind if you want to improve the returns of fish on the Catt then this might be a good start. Wild fish generally recruit better than stocked fish.

Tight lines
There has been chatter here about taking out the dam in Lansing on the Grand. The Army Corp of Engineers said it would run about $150,000.00. I thought that sounded pretty cheap for such a project. I thought about standing on the corner in my waders and asking passers by to fill them with change to raise the money. There have also been less vocal rumblings about taking out the 6th street dam in GR, to bring back the rapids that gave the city its name. Such an action would show a whole lot of people how difficult it can be to catch steelhead when they don't have them pinned in a little trout pond like pool looking for the ladder up. All that water sitting behind the 5 dams on the Grand gets mighty warm in the summer. I have to think if it was moving it may stay a bit cooler,and clearer.

I also had a conversation with a local shop owner one day about removing the dam in Rockford MI on the Rogue (Grand trib). Or the possibilty of installing a fish ladder that remains closed until say the first weekend in November to keep the kings out, then open it to let the steelhead in. Maybe flies only, C&R above the dam. That would also create some great new spawning/nursery waters.

Too much politics involved, no matter what is proposed, somebody will complain.

Last edited by Jamey McLeod; 11-23-2005 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:35 AM

Charlie is so right with the cycles, I've seen the Catt change the same ways. Another thing we need to think about is the amount of fish the centrepin drift fishers are killing either by keeping or by deep hooking. There are many who seem to think that hooking several dozen fish in a day is normal, think how many survive. I would like to see the Catt become a no-bait artificial lure only water and maybe limit fish kept to one a day (can we even mention no-kill?)

Also, I may sound like a broken record to people around here (to younger people there used to be music playing material made of plastic before CDs which were prone to skipping) but there may be coming a BassPro shop to Buffalo, imagine the impact that will have on the Catt and other tribs. If there can be sensible limits and rules in place before that becomes reality maybe the impact will be minimal. The steelhead sites have had their impact also, touting the tribs, I have encountered many fishers trying the Catt this year who had seen the internet postings and decided to come long distances. This is all not certainly meant to be negative, I dearly love the local waters and many of the people who fish them. If overfishing and overtaking can be minimalized we can have a place to continue to treasure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.