Hit a deer the other day - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 07:53 AM

Hit a deer the other day

On my way to work I hit a deer. What timing. Estimate so far is 1700!!! Where I hit the deer the town does not allow hunting so the deer are like rabbits. My question to the Forum members is do those deer whistles that you put on your car bumpers work? FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2005, 08:08 AM

Bill..... They do and they don't. Not worth the money.

It's rutting season now. Does are being chased by bucks and they lose their senses and get reckless. The other day going to work I seen three on the highway dead.

Like you, my wife hit one last week. Will cost about $600 to fix her Camry right front side above the parking lights. She was only going 15 - 20 mph coming from a dinner at a country club. The dear ran from cover across the access road when she hit it. Didn't even yell "four."

Last edited by RayStachelek; 11-18-2005 at 08:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 08:33 AM

I've read a couple articles on them hear those things are totally useless.

I've also heard that deer might even be attracted to the sound out of curiosity...

Last edited by griz; 11-18-2005 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:58 AM

Sorry to hear about the damage, glad no one was injured. Ray had it about right. If the deer are standing on the road as you come near they will get off the road when they hear the whistles. But if a deer is in the woods and moving or being chased that deer is going out into the road no matter what. I guess if you live in a heavily populated deer area it wouldn't hurt to put some whistles on they are pretty cheap but don't expect a force field around your car the likes of what we used to see on Star trek.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:55 AM

Bummer.......we hit one on the way to the airport for my Alaska trip last year at 430 AM but only a mile from the house and would have walked back to get my truck to make the flight. Turned a curve in the road, saw two deer on the roadside, slowed for the curve to about 45 mph. One goes right back into the woods the other goes left-WHUMP!- only hit rump- a glancing blow - never slowed the deer. We stopped and got our pulses back to normal and the van only had a fender crease and plastic fasteners snapped. Made the early AM flight and had a blast Salmon fishing in SE AK!

Don't know how effective those whistles are.....seems you need one that either sounds like a barking dog or a gunshot to get the deer going away from you.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Sorry to hear about the accident. I used to live in Westchester county NY and the deer wouldn't even move out of the road when a car came. You could blare your horn at them and they'd just look at you!

A couple of weeks ago while I was fishing a local lake I spotted an injured deer on the shore that must have gotten hit on a nearby rode and stumbled down into the woods. It got up as we approached it in the canoe and you could tell one of its back legs was badly broken. We landed the canoe near there and went to a nearby house to call the cops and gave the homeowner the location of the deer. I went back to fishing and a little while later a cop and a couple of guys in a pickup showed up, and I wasn't sure if they were going to see the deer since it was in some deep brush. They answered my question a few minutes later when I heard a "pop". It was a big 150 lb buck with a 4 point spread on it.

Last edited by teflon_jones; 11-18-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Junkyard Spey

I believe they work. For the many years I was a long haul trucker I never hit a deer as long as I had a deer whistle on each of the front corners. They would get knocked off in the truck wash and every deer I hit was when I was lax about getting them replaced. There is an ongoing debate in my family about the effectiveness of deer whistles. Some of the naysayers have large pieces of the frontends of their vehicles missing.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
When I lived in Westchester, it was widely accepted that the deer whistles did nothing to help from hitting deer. But of course these are the deer that didn't care about you blaring your horn 2 feet from their faces as I stated above, so maybe the deer whistles attracted them...
Old 11-19-2005, 01:50 AM

Here ya go... this is cut and pasted from this link and touches on the few scientific studies done on them: http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmj/9705/rm970503.htm

The last solution listed is pretty funny.

Executive Summary: Snake Oil and I've got a bridge to sell in AZ.

Here it is:

Whistles and Other Noisemakers

Ultrasonic whistles mounted on vehicle bumpers emit a shrill tone when air passes through them as the vehicle travels over thirty miles per hour. Manufacturers claim these whistles are audible to deer (but not to humans) and effective in frightening deer from the roadway. The whistle is about two inches long and bullet shaped. In 1990, according to The New York Times NATIONAL, deer whistles cost about $25, and such groups as the California, Iowa, and Kansas state police were using them on their patrol cars.

While manufacturers contend deer can hear the whistle up to a quarter mile away, no published research verifies the device's effectiveness. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety presented evidence refuting claims promoting the whistles:

Georgia's Game and Fish Department, for example, found that in hundreds of observations from vehicles equipped with deer whistles, deer didn't respond. Whistles on vehicles going 25-30 mph produced no ultrasonic sound, although some ultrasonic and lower frequencies were produced when the whistles were blown by mouth. According to wildlife biologists at the University of Georgia, neither deer nor humans can hear ultrasonic sound. Whistles blown by mouth near captive deer produce no response.
A University of Wisconsin study found that three types of whistle did produce low-pitched and ultrasonic sounds at speeds of 30 to 70 miles per hour; however, researchers were unable to verify that deer responded to the sounds, even at distances well below the distances from which manufacturers claim the whistles are heard. Moreover, deer would only be able to hear the whistles if there were a straight shot between the deer and the whistle. If curves, trees, or other obstacles came between the deer and the whistle, the device would be ineffective.

According to an article called "Blowing the Whistle on Deer Scare Devices" in the Mid-February 1993 Farm Journal, the Ohio State Police installed deer whistles on their patrol vehicles; however, they reported finding no significant decrease in collisions between patrol cars and deer. The same article indicated that a panel of the World Society for the Protection of Animals could find no data proving "that such a device can actually stop an animal crossing the road, which is the main purpose of the device." Finally, Washington State University researcher Leonard Askham felt the evidence tended to favor a conclusion that deer whistles do not work. "Even if the devices were effective," Askham warned, "they would soon become clogged with insects and dirt and stop working."

The New York Times NATIONAL described a different, creative way to use sound to frighten deer and other animals off the road and out of the path of oncoming vehicles. The article explained:

Before he discovered deer whistles, a supervisor for an Arkansas utility came up with his own plan to scare deer off dark country roads. He taped the barking of his neighbors' dogs, rigged an amplified speaker to the front of his truck and then broadcast the tape as he cruised down highways.
But he abandoned the scheme, amid concern that the barking was not only scaring deer, but awakening residents of southern Arkansas.

Last edited by griz; 11-19-2005 at 04:09 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.