Rooster fish info and fly paterns - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2005, 10:51 PM

Rooster fish info and fly paterns

Hi,

I am heading down to La Paz Baha this Chrismas break to do some kayaking around Isla Espirtu Santo and hope to try my luck at chasing Roosterfish via fly. I have read a few recent articles in the saltwater fly rags and have the Baha Catch book but am looking for some more detail about fly fishing for these wiley beasts. Any suggestions for technique and favorite fly patterns? Will I have to resort to chumming with baitfish . Have you fished in this area? I also hope to spend a couple of days in Magdelena Bay to do some Mangrove fishing for Snook? Tarpon? Is there a more appropriate group for this question?

Thanks,

Wolfgang
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Flats Rat

Hi Wolfgang, welcome to the forum!

I have fished out of Cabo and a bit futher North in the Sea of Cortez out of Punta Colorada. This late in the year the best shot at a roosterfish may be around Cabo. We targetted them from a boat just outside the surfline. The established technique was to liveline a cabalitto to get the roosters excited and close to the boat then throw flies. We seemed to search a lot of dead water in between strikes but you may just get lucky and hit a day when they are going gangbusters. I would expect to find plenty of Spanish macks around and they are a blast on fly. For Dorado and Yellowfin you need to get out to bluewater but that can be within paddling distance. I would definitely book a half day with a panguero whilst you are there. They hit the water before sunrise and you can be back at the dock for oversize margaritas and family stuff by lunchtime.

Do a Google search on "baja insider" and you'll find a ton of great info including archived fishing reports going back several seasons.

Take pics and let us know how you get on.

Good luck!

p.s. A search on the bluewater board will yield some good info and there are a few more Baja veterans who can chip in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.