Anyone know about Temple Fork Outfitters Rods? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2005, 09:16 AM

Anyone know about Temple Fork Outfitters Rods?

Has anyone out there casted a TFO rod? I don't know any local fly shops that carry them, so I can't cast one. They are affordable and all that, they look quality, endorsed by lefty and all that, but are they really as good as some of the higher priced rods out there?

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/

<sponsor link approved by admin>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2005, 11:36 AM

I like 'em, I like 'em a lot.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Frustrated English SWFF

I like them as well, i have 2 TFO TiCrX's in 8 & 9 #....they suit me , but you should really handle and cast one yourself to see if you like them....some people find them to fast !

Dave
Old 11-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Pullin' Thread

The ones I've cast, both single and 2-hand, are decent casting rods; but they certainly are not in the same league as the high end, premium rods out there. The TFO's are good value for the money and are made out of IM6 graphite, which has been around for quite a while in rods. But they are what they are, good casting rods of medium performance, and as such they are not as capable as the high end ones.

Despite the hype and the endorsement by Lefty Krey, they are not as good as top end Sage, Loomis, St. Croix, etc. Keep in mind that fly fishing personalities such as Lefty move around from one rod company to another because of the perks offered (things like trips to places they want to visit, shows they want to go to, exposure in advertising, or money), or sometimes because the former company they were endorsing decided not to continue their contract, rather than because of being in love with the product.

Over the years I've seen Lefty (and other fly fishing personalities) endorse the rods from many different rod manufacturers, and pretty much say the same things about each one. I've seen Lefty endorse Fenwick, J.Kennedy Fisher, Sage, St. Croix, Shakespeare, Browning, and now TFO since the 60's.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:54 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Question TFO

I have to agree with all that has been stated. I have several TFO's along with several higher end rods. The TFO's have been good to me so far. I keep one with me in the car at all times. That way, if I have a little time, I just pull it out of the case and fish for an hour or so. It also saves my higher end rods from walking.

When it comes to craftmanship, The TFO can't compare to Sage, T&T, and the rest. That being said, the higher end rods can't compare to the cost. Good rods for the $$$$.

But before you plunk down your hard earned cash, get out and cast several different rods. If you're as lucky as I am, your local shop may have Demos you can use for a day or two. I find that that's the true test of rod performance. On the water.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:46 PM

I just got one and it makes me smile when I use it after having used cheaper outfits for my teeth cutting into FF. Jimmy said it best.....they need to be tested on the water. Mine is my 'go-to' 5 wt.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:58 AM

Well, what is the best low priced rod?

I have appreciated people's opinions on TFO rods.

Does anyone think that you can find better rods for the money?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Fly chucker

I have a ten weight that I use for pike in freshwater, and albacore in the salt. It has been great to me, and as far as bang for the buck goes, you probably can't do much better.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Pullin' Thread

gimmefish,

To answer your last question, no. However, don't forget that Redington, St. Croix, and ECHO all have rods of similar performance and price, albeit each has a different feel and action.

Is TFO the best in its price range? it is if you believe the hype. Each of the other three rod manufacturers I mentioned above have people who will swear they are the best for the price as well. All four of them produce a good product at a low price point.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:42 PM

Ticrx

For the last two Coho seasons I have used a TFO Ticrx 8 weight and it has performed as good or better than all of the high end rods I have fished. I have used the rod in both ovehead and single handed Spey casting situations and the rod has performed flawlessly. The rod will handle a range of casting strokes and casts well at all distances. Rolling the belly of a sinktip line to the surface then with one backcast I deliver the fly to distances of 110+ feet.

The rod may not have the high end name or price but it does have the high end performance.

Ian
Old 11-16-2005, 02:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
TFO makes excellent rods and they have a great reputation. Whether they're better than a St Croix or Redington of the same price is really a matter of opinion. All are excellent rods.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:05 PM

frankly i think that the tfo's are a lot of hype and over priced for what they are. there are other lesser known rods which are as good or better and a lot less money with just as good a garranty such as heritage for example. name rods which i think are better and comparably priced such as st croix are in my view a better option. we all love lefty, but all the advertising and promotion done by tfo costs more money than the rods i suspect. and guess who pays for it.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
One of my favorite inexpensive rod makers is Cortland. Their stuff is inexpensive and well made. I still use one I got 15 years ago for most of my bass fishing and I think it may be the all around best casting rod I own, yet it's probably 1/3 or 1/4 the price of my other rods.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:43 AM
Middle Aged Member

I have an 8 wgt TFO TCRx something-or-other. Pretty impressive casting tool for the money. Components/reel seat are obviously where they save some money in addition to offshore manufacturing. I don't think you can go wrong with the TFO's for a low end rod.

I also liked the old lower end Diamondback lineup, All American and the Backwater. I'm not familiar with Diamonbacks current lineup.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to The French guy
TFO does not advertise much. They prefer the mouth to ear way of spreading the word. The only Ad I saw was that they advertised for the Terry Hayden reel (that I am gonna get soon).

I also believe that their products are priced right, and the quality is good... though not outstanding. The cork on their rods is not top notch if you compare it to a Thomas and Thomas for example. The wrapping and the guides are not the best around too.
So, if you are looking for a really nice rod, with the most expensive building materials, you should not look at them.
They are also not the lightest rods around as they still use IM6 graphite.

If, like me, you do not care much about the building materials and seal the cork grip, then, you have an excellent bang for your bucks rod backed with an excellent warranty (25 bucks and fast turn over) that cast very well. I own, owned or used/tested, the top brand rods around (Sage, Scott, Red. Nti Q, GLoomis etc.) and sincerely, I fish with my TFO all the time. They really cast great with no or very little shock wave.
The 8wt TiCr X was returned 8 times by Lefty before he was happy with the rod. I think that rod, along with the TiCr are very well designed.

I own TiCr 7, 8, 9, 10; TiCr X 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and Professional 9 and fish for the big 3 in the Keys and Biscayne Bay (read bones, permits, tarpons).
I fish at least every week.

My 0.02.

Serge in Miami.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.