Stillwater - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2001, 08:00 PM

Stillwater

Anyone know when the Landlockers run the Stilly? I remember last Nov. was decent.

Lefty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2001, 12:32 PM

I've always heard to wait until rain raises the river. November is the general time of year. Though it sounds like Craig is doing ok about 10 minutes from there right now.

A different idea that I've been thinking about is trying for landlockeds coming out of the Quabbin. Anyone with experience at this?
Old 09-20-2001, 08:34 AM

Thanks John. Nov. works for the stripers are gone. Never heard of that Quabin run but it's a good idea to find out.

Lefty
Old 09-20-2001, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Lefty (09-20-2001 09:34 a.m.):
Never heard of that Quabin run but it's a good idea to find out.

Lefty
I haven't either. Its just my contrarian mind wondering why we only hear about trolling for them at Quabbin. I'll have to check and find out when the fishing closes there. My memory is that it is earlier than at Wachusett.
Old 09-20-2001, 10:03 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to troutdude
Quabbin fishing runs through October 13 this year. This also includes streams running into Quabbin that are in the reservation--that is inside routes 202, 122, and 32A on the north side. Some of my favorite fishing spots are in this area. you can find quiet, scenic fishing above rt.32A in Petersham year round.
Old 09-21-2001, 08:32 AM

Thanks Daryl,
With fishing in the reservation closed after mid October. I can see why no one hears about fall run landlocks from the Quabbin.

I aggree with you on the area outside of rt 32a. It's a favorite of mine when I want solitude.
Old 09-23-2001, 05:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Dude
We gots to hook up and fish again soon. Should have that Rangley Guide boat restored for open water next spring. Then we be stylin'.
Chris
Old 09-23-2001, 10:32 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Chris -

Tell me about this Rangeley Guide boat! Sounds interesting...

John and Terry -

Last year those salmon seemed a little dark, maybe this year we should give it a try before they are so advanced in spawning stages?

They should set up near the mouth in advance, then wait for the first big rain to push them into the river. If the river rises and falls, they will be 'holed up' in pools along the river's length.

I wouldn't mind finding some more water upriver from the bridge amenable to flyfishing as well.
Old 09-24-2001, 08:42 AM

Hi Juro,

I know of two, possibly three points to access the Stillwater upstream of the singing bridge. In years past there have been problems with beaver dams blocking the upstream migration in the area around rt 190. The town of Sterling has an exemption from the trapping ban so this may not be as big of a problem anymore.

I'll try to get out there next weekend and see what the situation is. Of course, given that Quabbin access is currently closed, closure of the Wachusett may happen before the run .
Old 09-25-2001, 09:56 AM

Stillwater - Access closed

This will have to wait for another season.

It is sad, but inevitable that access to both Quabbin and Wachusett reservoirs and their tributaries is closed for the indefinite future.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:14 AM

Is this due to potential terrorist activity with our water supply? I read that two planes flew low over the water recently in violation of the no-fly zone.

Or is it due to other factors?
Old 09-25-2001, 11:54 AM

Quote:
juro (09-25-2001 11:14 a.m.):
Is this due to potential terrorist activity with our water supply?
Yes, Woolybugger/Troutbum posted an article from todays Worcester Telegram on flyfishsaltwaters bulletin board discussing the closure. This closure hits ~ 70% of my favored waters.
Old 09-25-2001, 05:55 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to troutdude
Bummer on the Wachusett and Quabbin being closed. I am on vacation this week and next and I was all set to go to Thomas basin to try out your jetty. I live in Hubbardston and my house is right next to a trout stream in the watershed. I guess they will have to keep an eye out for me catching fall brookies. I just read in the Worcester Telegram they are stocking the Swift river this week. Maybe they ought to stock some waters where fishing is allowed! Hey, Chris I checked out the guide boat when I was in Maine last weekend----sure will be beautiful when restored.
Old 09-25-2001, 06:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Juro,
The Rangley Guide Boat is like an oversized deep bodied canoe. They are generally about seventeen feet long and four feet wide. A rangley "Double Ender" as they are called, have two sets of oar locks so they can be rowed from either the front or the rear seat--they can be freighted down with a lot of gear--are extremely stable--and they really move across the water. They are a lapstrake boat so for their size they are very light weight. This boat was made in Waterville, Maine by the Kennebec Boat and Canoe, which went out of buisness, if my sources are correct, in '46. It is in excellent shape and should restore beautifully. I plan to go to the Maine state library, up the road a couple of miles from here, and do some research on it. The boat we have, actually it is Ian's, my dad gave it to him last winter shortly before he passed away. Dad had planned to have it restored for him but now we plan to do it ourselves. I have been reading up on it and it shouldn't be to daunting a project. I anticipate that by next spring it will be out trolling for LL salmon under the power of a new 10 hp/ 4 stroke. You may even see it at the cape next year looking new.
Old 09-25-2001, 07:06 PM

AWESOME! If you have a digital camera or a regular camera and send me the pics, I will make a project page for it. Let me know if you are interested in that.

I love the lines of dories and classic rowing craft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.