Fly Fishing Forum banner

Leaf Guard?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Isgrigg 
#1 ·
I spent Friday fishing the Muskegon River in Newaygo, MI. It was a little windy and there were a lot of oak leaves in the river. It seemed I spent half of my fishing time stripping in my line, pulling off a big oak leaf, only to set up for the next cast and have another leaf already stick on the fly ... frustrated the crap out of me.

I was thinking ... has any one tried tying a weed guard on for fall fishing to keep the hook clean and swinging ...

Lets call it a "leaf guard" ... would it interfear with hooking a fish or the way the fly moved in the water? I tie bass and pike flies with weed guards ... why not salmon and steelhead flies in the fall?

Any thoughts?

Stephen

#3 ·
Have to agree with Peter on this one, although I have never given it much thought. That many leaves in the water usually mean’s poor fishing. Even if you do get a leaf free swing, I think the fish have a hard time picking your fly out of all the debris. My mind starts to wander on such days and I usually end up doing something else; like casting practice or taking pictures.

Charlie.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replys ...

I normally quit fishing for the year by the first week in October when there are not so many leaves in the water ... then after that it gets too cold for a wimp like me.

This November, we had a couple of really nice days so I made a run up north to fish.

I will remember the leaves and next time try the leaf guard or maybe just take pictures.

Stephen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.