Phat Lady Only Hummin - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2005, 08:05 AM

Phat Lady Only Hummin

Alarm clocks went off....sad when one has to have a back up alarm to the back up reel
Went to the Cape on Friday and as Jim Simms stated previously..."the migration isn't over"!
Arrived at 6:15 at Sandwich Harbor.....birds bustin all over the place near shore...never got into my waders so fast, but not fast enough. As I got to shore a spin fisherman was hauling in a 44 inch striper, biggest one I ever saw. Needless to say, I wasn't that successful, but plenty of action with schoolies running from 12 to 22 inches. Everything stopped at 8:15.........headed to Sandy Point for 2 hrs...nada....dead....went to Scorton....picked up 3 more large schoolies.....at 2, heading back to Sandwich harbor for the outgoing and fished till dusk.....only got one more, action only materialized for about 1/2 hr and they were busting out of range. Spin guys were hitting the outgoing at the creek and doing well...but 20 mph SE winds kept us fly guys out of range of the bar
All in all a great day......double digit fish in Noivember while in shirt sleeves.
So the word is....the fat lady has a sore throat for the moment....who knows how long it will last......walking the area and talking with folks, the action is primarily schoolies with a monster or 2 thrown in on occassion...one guy at dusk, hit on a 40 incher. If one wanted a 30+ day, all you have to do is stay along the jetties as the schoolies were there most times...after getting my fill, I choose to hunt.
Fly of choice was 3-4 inch bunker patterns......schoolies were scooping them up right at shore.....mackeral were also reported to be around and some of the spin guys were using those patterns (with success).
Fly guys reported that the harbor area, Scorton and Sandy Point in the last 2 weeks hae been taking turns being hot(at dawn/dusk)....reportedly on thursday, Sandy point was hoppin most of the day.....yesterday...dead. So....if ya go....hit them all.
Good luck guys.
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Middle Aged Member

Was thinking about Old Sandwich Harbor for this morning but basser had a hunch about north of the canal. Pretty dead but birds could be seen agitated off in the distance at the canal. If I head to the Cape tonight I may have a look-see at the light in the morning.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I'm getting the urge... old man winter's face is on the horizon
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 11-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Pencil me in.....

PM from Bonefishmon late Thursday

"Looks I'm down for the count for Friday. Too many commitments. I sanded the cracked paint on the front of my cape and it's time for a primer coat. "KEEP ME POSTED"

Phil, I was going to bring you to Ol Sandwich Harbor at 5:45

I saw Fred A eyeing a canal bike this am

Last edited by jfbasser; 11-05-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:00 PM
resigned

Don't give up on me just yet! Circled Fishers Island, NY this morning as the reefs were not showing much promise. Very little bait anywhere. Had to attend an school athletic function for noontime. No idea what happened the rest of the day. Ron instincts lead him away from RI fore good reasons. The fish are not here yet!!!!!!!

Phil
Old 11-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Fly chucker

Ron- Send those fish this way, huh?
Old 11-05-2005, 08:17 PM

Mark...I'll send them your way AFTER one more shot at them mid week
Hope that you know it is very hit or miss....the only consistency is that they are at one of those 3 places......it's really touch to make a call as to which to choose as the action is primarily an hour before dawn to hr after and one doesn't want to be in the car driving when it's happening. One guy I spoke with said that Sandy Point the day before was about 4 hrs of non stop action.....when I arrived there after Ol Harbor.....the lone FF there said....."where the hell they go?" he was there at dawn....nothing. But 1 in 3 is better odds that the lottery
Ron
Old 11-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Fly chucker

Yes, I'm aware that it's very hit or miss. Two out of my last three trips have been miss.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.