my grand spey line - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2005, 09:50 AM

Location: Cattaraugus,Nottawasaga River, Grand River, Credit River
my grand spey line

Hey guys I got an amazing deal on the grand spey line 8/9 wt. I had a tough time with it, just struggling to get a cast. My rod is to weak for it. 14 GL3, I plan on buying a new rod in the future but my conditions are, I want it to be light. Now going with a light rod, does that mean it won't be as beefy as a heavier rod. I want my next rod to throw the 2 lines I currently own, windcutter 7-8-9 and grand spey. Is this possible.

The only thing I liked about the grand spey is that I didn't have to strip line, if I casted far enough and with the windcutter, although I think is enough line for where I fish, I sometimes try to let it out, but then I would have to strip line back into the belly. I hate stripping line in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2005, 09:58 AM
LBFF Mojo

Is this the new grandspey line or the older one? The newer ones have the grain weight marked on the package. I think it should be 800 grains for the 8/9.

By light rod do you mean light in hands or rating?

You should be able to find a rod that will cast both lines. Will be more of a tip cast with the windcutter as compared to when you line up the grandspey. You will defintely want a progressive type rod. Meiser makes great sticks and if you called him up he could dial one in for you. I have been impressed by the wide grain window his highlander series have. The 14 or 15 8/9 would be an excellent choice.

Another rod that will do it is the snowbee 14 9/10 (really an 8/9). One of my favorite sticks and will throw deep into the blank or off the tip. It will cast both of those lines.

I would defintely reccomend getting a rod at the very least 14' long. 15 would be better if you are going to be fishing with the whole head out of the guides.

-sean

Last edited by sean; 10-31-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:32 PM

I don't know if its the old or new, it says 1100 grain. I don't even know the head length. It doesn't say it on the box. Its weird cause on the back of the box, it shows, windcutter, midspey and then accelerator. So I don't know if its the accelerator I have but on the side of the box there is a sticker thats says grandsapey 8/9.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:56 PM

snoryder, At 1100 grains it is the old 8/9 Grand Spey, I use my old 8/9 GS on my 15' 10/11 Loomis GLX which it fits very nicely. the old GS has a lot of grains
Old 10-31-2005, 08:19 PM

spay rods

I would like more information on the Meiser and Snowbee spay Rods. Do they have A web page . Is there anybody on the east coast that sell those spay rods. Thank YOU for any help you could provide
Old 10-31-2005, 08:23 PM
LBFF Mojo

I will tell you only if you call them spey rods

For tons of info check out the speypages.com. There is a link on the top of the page and both rods have a lot of discussion about them. Both fine rods.

I think there are a couple shops around the cattaragus area that sell two handers. You could probably arrange to test drive a few.

-sean

Last edited by sean; 10-31-2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:28 PM
LBFF Mojo

If that is the old grandspey at 1100 grains I think you could break that rod in half if you got the whole head out of the guides. Both of those lines are too different in grain weights to really work on the same rod. Hard to say without weighing the belly though to see what version of the grandspey you have.

-sean
Old 10-31-2005, 09:15 PM
Pullin' Thread

snoryder,

My old GrandSpey 8/9, which is what you have, weighs 1100grs. This is lot of grains to be casting on anything smaller than a 10/11 rod. I used mine on a T&T 1510-3 and can also cast it with my T&T 1611 without the rod being underloaded. You're liable to break your 8/9 GL3 using it. This is probably why you got a good deal on it since the GrandSpey was changed last fall and the old, heavy one discontinued. The old 8/9 one you have is OK for use with 2-hand rods rated for 10/11 lines; but heavens it is awfully heavy on an 8/9.

The new GrandSpey 8/9 weighs 800 gr and is a very nice line that can be used on the majority of 8/9 2-hand rods without danger of severely overloading (and possibly breaking) the rod.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:25 PM

Yup thats what I figured, Anyone need a new line? I don't think I'm ever going to buy or use a 10 wt around here. Damn, that just bites!

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:29 PM

Also guys, when I'm looking for a long belly line for my GL3, what grain weight should I be looking for. I can't go by the numbers since thats what messed me up in the first place.

tx
Old 11-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Pullin' Thread

Between 760 and 840 should be good.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoryder
Also guys, when I'm looking for a long belly line for my GL3, what grain weight should I be looking for. I can't go by the numbers since thats what messed me up in the first place.

tx

snoryder, Rio recomends the 7/8 Grand Spey and the 8/9 Grand spey for the GL3 - 14' # 8/9, the 7/8 for the better casters,this from there web site "Each rod has been rated for two different line designations. The A rating is for casters who like to feel a faster action rod, and those that are good spey casters. The B rating is for beginner and moderate casters and those that like to feel the rod with more flex. " good luck
Old 11-01-2005, 03:01 PM

Be careful of that rating as Simon Gawesworth recently admitted on another board that the original GrandSpey was built on the assumption that only the first 60' would be used by the typical angler. His ratings are based on that assumption. So if you cast only 60' of the head then you're OK, but if you use only that, you might as well be using a DT line.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoryder

tx
Where do you plan to use your long belly?
Old 11-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Pullin' Thread

Peter,

The new and redesigned GrandSpeys that were put on the market last fall conform to the spey line standards adopted last September and as such weigh a lot less than the old or original ones. Therefore, the A & B line recommendations on the RIO web site for the GrandSpey lines are accurate and based upon the new GS.

The new GS 8/9 weighs 800 grs. and the new 7/8 GS weighs 700 grs. These are much different weights than the original ones while still having the great turnover the original ones exhibited. In contrast, the old ones weighed in at 1100 grs. for the 8/9 and 900 grs for the 7/8.

In other words, the new GS lines work properly regardless the amount of belly being cast for the A & B line ratings of Simon. Or another way of putting it, if you like to feel more of a load on the rod, use a new GS matched to your rod by the top number of the line designation, and if you like a faster rod with a crisper feel, use the next size down GS line number. I.e. a person who wants a more loaded 14' GL3 8/9 would use the new 8/9 GS, one who wants a faster, crisper casting feel would use the new 7/8 GS on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.