Interesting Comparisons - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2005, 07:11 PM

Interesting Comparisons

Went back to the same hole as in the "Swing's the Thing" thread only this time I took Scando heads instead. Before I had being using 8' or 10' of T-14 plus very heavy flies (2" Waddington shanks and lead clouser eyes) but seldom hit bottom.

Standing at the car with the hatch open, logic debated with instinct. Having been primarily a sinktip fisherman in the past, instinct told me to go with as dense as I could -- in this case a Guideline S4/5. Logic however dictated that a S3/4 would be enough. Logic won and a good thing it did.

First cast hung up. Second cast hung up. etc. After the 4th cast I started changing up. Instead of using line management methods intended to sink the fly, I'm using methods to prevent sinking. Instead of the Waddington shanks, I'm using a much lighter cone head woolly bugger. Eventually I shift to an unweighted fly and only then can I go back to the "down their throats" methods from the original thread.

Moral of the story -- if you need to go deep and stay deep. a full sink shooting head has it all over a sinktip, even one using T-14. About casting effort -- my 9/10 Skagit head weighs 765 and that's on the light side for a 9/10 Skagit rig. 9/10s are often 900 to a 1,000. The Scando head weighs 490 -- guess which one is easier to cast . . . . Hint, it ain't the Skagit rig.

Last edited by peter-s-c; 10-29-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2005, 10:08 PM

Peter,
What are the characteristics of the Guidelines you mention? Length? Weight? Sink Rate?
Old 10-30-2005, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pauli
Peter,
What are the characteristics of the Guidelines you mention? Length? Weight? Sink Rate?
They're sold at lengths of 44' to which you cut to suit the rod. My 9/10s have been cut in the 34' to 35.5' range and weigh from 480 to 495 grains. In sink rates, I have a floater, hover, S1/2, S2/3, S3/4, and S4/5. The S1/2 for example, has a Type 1 belly with a Type 2 tip. The density transition is gradual and the front taper is quite long, however the tip remains fairly thick so the turnover is quite powerful. The faster the sink rate, the longer the denser section.

I don't have actual sink rates -- been trying to find them -- but they certainly seem to sink faster than their ratings. In one stretch of river where I might use a 10' Type 3 tip on the floater, even the hover can be a bit too much.

Given the lengths, there's no need to roll even the S4/5 up. They can easily be pulled clear on a snake or double with just a smooth, slow lift. I also used the Underhand cast (single) yesterday and the lift wasn't a problem.

Yesterday I was using a 13'6" - 9 wt. Daiwa. On it, the 490 grains of the S3/4 and the 495 of the floater loaded the rod quite deeply. To give a sense of comparison, this rod will easily handle a 9/10 Delta Long at 690. I'll also use these same heads on my 9/10 GLX Dredger and 10 wt. Dawia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.