Boneclave Pics - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2005, 06:34 PM

Boneclave Pics

Post 'em if you've got 'em.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GregDAlbie.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	5095  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2005, 04:10 AM
Squire animal

No fish pictures from me unforunately, but I did at least catch a couple from the entrance. Shaun was my witness, honest!

Old 11-08-2005, 10:18 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Testing

I am trying to provide a link to my pictures on Snapfish, But if you're not logged in as me I don't think you can see them. looks like to share them to all, I need to know everyones E-mail... Yuk! I tried posting some earlier But to get under the 60kb threshold I ended up shrinking them to 275 pixels and they were like postage stamps. I'm curious what tool JimW used to size his pictures to 500 pixels and yet keep the file size so small. I'm using Picasa and haven't seen how to generate the same size picture as Jim.

http://www.snapfish.com/slideshow/Al...25/t_=33868177

Last edited by GregD; 11-08-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Jonesin...

Greg,

I use a simple tool available for free for any windows user. I believe it is called Powertools and allows you to right click and resize pictures. If they are in Jpeg format they usually meet the size requirements. They did with the files you sent me. On another note, I thought you said you never caught an albie only Bonito. That certainly looks like an albie to me.

Sean
Old 11-08-2005, 10:52 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the info, I'll checkout powertools software.

Oh I wasn't kidding about never catching an Albie on the fly, and no it's not made of rubber. I was holding one of Chuck's fish and couldn't help, But smile alittle.

Greg.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I had some awesome shots on my camera... which I put in a blue plastic tub to stay dry on the ride along with...

Well glad everyone else had some good shots to post. I really did have some classic shots I wish I could have seen in full size including a sunrise shot that rivaled the original Boneclave photo...

Photo Juro Mukai
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 11-09-2005, 08:56 AM

GregD, I think that one was crunched with fireworks. My daughter is a pro photographer, if you've seen my pics she obviously didn't get that from me. She uses photoshop and it's amazing what can be done with that. I know fireworks but after using photoshop cs on her pc I have to admit it blows fireworks away.

Juro, I cringe every time I think of that bin

That image is from Chuck's camera - I've yet to buy myself a digital camera after seeing the results the pros get with 17mp+ all the gear in my price range looks like dog dodo, fine for the web though I guess, maybe I'll land on santa's nice list this year. I was not on the boat when it was taken but I think he said that was Hawkeye's fish. Poor Chuck never got a chance to hit 'em on the fly, the draw of that magic popper was too much to overcome.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Not to thread Hijack...but I LOVE my D70 from Nikon...not 17mp...but takes some sick pictures. And doesn't really break the bank either...
Old 11-09-2005, 11:29 AM

I replaced my Canon A40 with the tiny Canon Powershot SD400 5mp. It's not waterproof but it's so compact I can keep it dry much easier and plan to get a waterproof case for it eventually.

The macro mode is amazing and takes great fly photos, and the movie mode allows for long clips (casting etc).

They just came out with the SD500 7.1 mpx - go figure!
Old 11-09-2005, 02:05 PM

Take a look at Olympus Stylus 500 Digital a weather proof camera that is getting very good reviews. It has a lens cover that is not a shutter type which when the beach sand gets into the little lens shutter will make the camera useless.
If you keep your images small(8x10) or less a 5 mg camera will be fine.
You really don't need much pixel power for how we are using the camera . Just my professional experience. FishHawk
Old 11-09-2005, 06:53 PM

I've had several lost opportunities to have photos published due to low mp (fly magazines, creative for products, etc). They usually want 8mp but will accept 6-7mp if quality is good enough. Something to consider if you are thinking of publishing your work.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:42 AM

That's what I've run into with the 4mp you can't blow it up much at all. My Daughter had taken some ocean/beachscapes and sunsets againt the beach shot from the boat that were unreal. She has the equipment to print really large format and did one in ~12x36 that was just sick. I'd like to be able to do that but will most likely just bring her along with me.
The olympus has great color but sometimes the sharpness is an issue. I was looking at their 8mp WR model that is cheap compared to the Cannon and Nikons. I'm still learning about this stuff but it appears MP are not the only factor to consider. I need very limited features and would prefer analog controls, just about anything on the market in the compact category will give excellent results for the web but like Juro says if you want to really capture the moment or be published you need something ~8ish with Tiff being the preferred format, that in turn requires more storage media. I know I should go cannon or nikon but that 8mp olympus looks like it might hold up better on the boat. Pentax also has a water proof 5or6mp that's also interesting.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:11 AM

Our own Jeff Borkowski (jeffb) is extremely knowledgeable on all this stuff. If you have any questions before a purchase it would be worth dropping him a line. I bought mine spur of the moment at a 24 hr department store near the river in Washington state thinking there was a steelhead photo in my immediate future... unfortunately I was wrong
Old 11-10-2005, 09:45 AM

When I said 4 mg pixels I mentioned that it was good for what we, meaning the forum members ,use the camera for not for publication. I was a pre press and digitial professional photographer before I retired. We used Leaf camera backs on a Fuji camera which cost 30K. I agree that 4 mg is not good enough for publication.
FishHawk
Old 11-10-2005, 02:03 PM

Yeah, I've seen the Leaf back on a Mamiya(sp?) and it's outrageous. I never really looked at the detail or thought about larger than 8x10 until I saw the zoom on one of these images or a scanned 4x5.

Now where are those boneclave pics?

I think Jeff would say the same thing as my daughter (if it's not SLR it's junk) but I need that portable durable hold up to the elements type of gear or it probably won't get used much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.