Fenwick Bass Class Rod - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2005, 01:07 PM

Fenwick Bass Class Rod

Anyone familiar with the Fenwick Bass Class fly rod - BCF 908-2?

It appears to be a discontinued model, a 9' 8wt. I'm looking at getting it for steelhead.

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2005, 05:30 PM

Don't know the rod but a 9' - 8 wt. is fine for steelhead. Fenwick once was a highly respected brand but they sent their production off-shore and the quality took a nose-dive. I owned one Fenwick and it was a crappy rod. If it's a real good deal, fine. But if you're paying big bucks there are better places . . .
Old 10-29-2005, 05:37 PM

It's brand new, selling for $99.00 (Reg. $178)

Might go the extra few $ and get the St.Croix premier.

I don't want to spend a bundle as I'm just getting into steelhead to extend the season beyond Sept. 30!

Regards
Old 10-30-2005, 09:16 AM

Fenwick Rods

Good Day Gents

With reference to Fenwick rods I think that I'm going to have to agree with the last post about quality taking a nose dive. I live in NB and we fish Crown Reserved water for Atlantic Salmon. My friend had a very nice 9 wt HMX Fenwick rod and it was a nice feeling / casting rod as I tried it several times. The first time that we fished the Crown Reserve my buddy boke the tip off the rod about six inched from the end I said that he was running to get to the pool he says no he was just walking and tripped on a root, so he sent it back to the company and got a replacement road that was in 2002. Fast forward to 2005 and we were talking and I was asking him about the rod that he had replaced under warranty and I see that they replaced it with a HMG model which if I'm not mistaken is a less expensive rod. No problem it's still a very nice casting rod. Last summer we were fishing the same Crown Reserve only this time there were some honkin salmon holding in one of the upriver pools that doesn't see as many fishermen. So my buddy hooks a real bruiser and he's fighting it and you have to remember that the river is no more than 20 feet wide and strewn with boulders and dead falls so you have to be fairly agressive to land these fish before thay wrap around something and break you off. Anyway he snapped the rod in half while fighting that fish. Salmon - 1, NB Angler -0. Right then and there that sealed my opinion about Fenwick. Now ofcourse you'd say that he was horsing the fish and he was putting alot of pressure on it but as I explained earlier that was a necessary evil at that location. I also landed a few fish that afternoon and I had one take me under a dead tree that was still attached to the stump and extended out into the river about 6 feet, so I waided over to the tree and he makes another run that unexpectedly pulled my rod about half way under the deadfall and it put a terrific amount of strain on my rod and it didn't break. So I was very impressed with my rod, for the record it was a TFO 10 Ti wt, so that sold me right there.

Bill Gass
NB
Old 10-30-2005, 09:57 AM

The big problem is simply there's no way to know if you're getting a good one or a lemon. The local shop had a Fenwick two-hander there on consignment. A customer wanted to try it so the sales guy strings it up and pops out a little cast just to work out some line in the tiny spot beside the shop (barely big enough to exercise a 4 wt.). The thing blows up! This was originally an expensive rod.

All I can offer the original poster is that it may give you a lifetime of good service or it could blow up on the first cast or first fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.