Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 08:17 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Presentaton

Good Evening,

A "Spey" question.

This pool is holding many salmon ( some holding not too far away up river from where the angler is standing).

On such still water, is it possible to "spey cast" without spooking them?
What Cast??

Would you rather, move from that rock and stand elsewhere!!

Tight lines!!

A..
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2005, 05:06 AM

On flat water like that, the left hand single spey would be the best option if you have to use a spey cast. I'd certainly avoid a double spey or any of the 'funny' casts (snaps, pokes etc) which make too much splash by ripping the line off the water. The single spey causes the least water disturbance, and what splash there is occurs upstream of the fisher, so away from the fish he's covering. The D-loop of a single is also less liable to get caught up in the vegetation and debris when standing on a rough bank like that.

Personally, I'd prefer to cross the river and fish from the other bank. It looks like a fairly classic bend pool, with deep water close to the right bank and nice sloping gravel on the left bank. With pools of this shape I almost always prefer to fish from the shallow side, casting into the deep. I'd wade in to about knee depth, and if that got me far enough away from the bushes I'd probably use an overhead cast rather than a spey cast. Not only does this eliminate the splash associated with any anchored cast, but casting overhead would probably allow you to get away with a somewhat lighter line than would be needed with a spey cast, which will also help to minimise water disturbance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 07:47 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Bonsoir Gardener,
Thanks for your reply "expertise"!!
I am taking all tips and notes on "spey" since quite awhile !!
Being always too busy when it's time to cast a line.... ( I fished 3 hours last season)
I am intrigued, looking forward and can't wait to take time off with my notes, shore lunch ..... and get lost for a whole day ...............and do it !!!

Ah!! seems so easy!!!

Ann....

Last edited by QuebecSporting; 10-28-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:32 PM

Ann, I'm with Charlie as well, single Spey from this bank or cross over and single from the other.

And DEFINEATELY no pokes, snaps, skagits, or other casts.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 10-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Pullin' Thread

Ann,

There is a pool very similar to this on one of my favorite steelhead rivers. I fish it by going further upstream of the rock the angler is standing on and then casting fairly long (at least 75') to fish it "fine and far off" to avoid spooking fish. I also use a single spey withe longer cast to keep the line disturbance far from the fish. I fish it from river right for the express purpose of getting my fly swinging (or skating) from shallow to deep water in order to maximize the amount of time the fly is in water holding fish.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:41 PM

From which position

Hi Ann, I would agree with all above comments withe the exception of Flytyer ("I fish it from river right for the express purpose of getting my fly swinging (or skating) from shallow to deep"), someone who I seldom disagree with. If one fishes from river right swinging from left to right, given the way this pool tails with the current moving to river left as well as straight down the tail the fly will tend to die in mid stream, or at least 3/4 of the way through the swing. From river left one can cover the whole pool with a nice even swing. (allowances being made for the fact that you are moving from deep to shollow water.) Note to flytyer-not as important in Salmon fishing as in steelhead.

Ramsay
Old 11-02-2005, 02:32 PM

Presentation is an interesting animal. This summer while fishing the Carron beat on the river Spey with Malcolm I hooked a fish early on and everyone thought I had half a clue. I fished happily with the Ghillie. Two days later Malcolm observed my steelhead tactics and modified them to "salmon tactics". The next day on the Ness I caught a nice Grilse.

Yes Malcolm I am still working on my write up. Damn work, working, and trying to move up the ladder.

andre

Oh well off next week and hope to hear a Perfect Scream
Old 11-02-2005, 06:40 PM

Hi Ann
Considering the flow of water (or lack of )
I'd cast a DRY to the fish just above the rock from the angler's position . Speycasting over left shoulder.
If I were fishing a wet ,I'd cast from the other side using a tiny #10 or- fly at 90
degrees to the fish using Steve Whiting's patented method Alternating with a Trottinette
If nuthin' doing I'd sit down and enjoy the view waiting until just before dark and fish to the takers that have moved to the head of the pool .
Cheers
Old 11-02-2005, 08:52 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Hay Brian

As I was reading your post... Steve called me.

He said to tell you,
Wait until the fish are "nose in the upper current" " try a NO 16 Green Highlander and a 4 lbs leader".

This might happen though,

or This:

Ann

( Hope the pre-season draws were good to you!!)

Au Revoir!!
Old 11-04-2005, 10:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dornblaser
Ann,

Depending on where the fish are, I would add a roll cast to list.

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.