SWFF in New Zealand - North Island - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 08:27 AM

SWFF in New Zealand - North Island

Hi,
Going to the North Island for a couple of weeks in Dec/Jan. rented a campervan and doing a 14day drive all ver the north island. planning on taking my 8# salt water rod, reel and basic tackle.. can anyone please give me some advice on fishing licenses required, places to go, what fish i can expect to catc, general swfly fishing in NZ, good links to sites and anything i might find helpfull.
thanks in advance.
anton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Hi! I spent a few weeks there this spring, the majority of the time spent FWFFing. I did do some looking into the salt and couldn't find tons of info. The guys at sexyloops (google it) were very helpful though. The North Island (especially around Auckland and the Bay of Islands) looks pretty promising though. I'd say that a good basic setup, some clousers, decievers and bonefish type patterns (imitating any crabs shrimp etc) would be a good bet. Let me be the first to tell you that the 8wt weight is by no means overmatched for their trout either...
Old 10-27-2005, 02:19 PM

Ants,

It's been many years from the last time I was there. Most of my salt water fly fishing was on the South Island for sea run brown trout. Boy were they big ones too. I think it will be the same on the North Island for those sea runs in that if you find any river mouth and swing or strip streamers through the tide area you will find trout. I remember on one river, the Heafy I beleive casting out into the river current and letting fly swing out into small breaking surf where ocean met the river mouth. A couple of strips would produce fish on and they were Brown trout between 5 pounds and maybe 12 pounds, many broke me off as they were hot fish. Seeing Browns are mostly on the North Island I think you would be wise to explore some of the river mouths up there.
Though I never fished for tuna while there I did see a lot of what I think were false tuna in large schools and very close to shore. I would look into that possibility also as I have watched these tuna feeding as far south as Picton on the North end of the South Island.

Hope you have a great time and meet a lot of great NZ folks while fishing.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:32 PM

NZ Holiday

Hi Ants,

I hope you have a great time in NZ.
You will only need two fishing licences. There is one fishing licence required for the whole country (except the Taupo region) from New Zealand Fish and Game. You can get one from their website www.fishandgame.co.nz. This will give you access to all of fresh water fishery (except Taupo & Rotorua).
The other fishing licence required is only for the Central North Island (Taupo & Rotorua, the Tongariro River, Waitahanui Riiver and Tauranga-Taupo River. The fishing licence for this area are governed by the Department of Conservation. Their website is www.doc.govt.nz.

I am only familar with fresh water fishing, sorry I have not done much salt-water fishing.

The best trout fishing (in my opinion) is in Taupo. A nice eight weight will do here nicely. I use a floating line (nymphing or dries), and a slow sinker (boobies, smelt flies, and woolly buggers) for river mouths. There are both large brown and rainbow trout in large numbers. In Feb the trout may still be feeding on smelt, so a nicely tied smelt fly could be the go.

A 7 weight (again, in my opinion) is ideal for the majority of the larger rivers that you may come across. There are a numner of beautiful river in Hawke's Bay or Palmerston North that could be worth a try.

Give me a yell if you need any further info, and good luck.

Regards,

Ian
Old 10-27-2005, 09:41 PM

OOps Ants,

I just re-read your post. SWflyfishing. Sorry about the Fresh Water rant. Anyway, you do not need a licence to fish in the sea! There are bag limits however, the limits are on the following government website, (www.fish.govt.nz/recreational)

Cheers
Old 10-28-2005, 07:26 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Oh to be back there today...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NZ3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	5083  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.