Backcountry fishing in montana/yellowstone - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2005, 09:06 PM

Backcountry fishing in montana/yellowstone

Does anyone out there have any good destinations or trip advice for backcountry flyfishing in Montana or Yellowstone?

I'm planning a trip for next Sept. and want to hike in, camp, and fish my brains out.

I'd rather go out unguided and the more rugged the better.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks.

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2005, 11:13 PM

Jackson

I would make my base here, somewhere abouts, and spend my time exploring Bridger-Teton. Wind River, the float from Moose to Wilson, Green, the Park. A man could do alot less in his life. If you can do 2 weeks, do 3, a month.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:27 AM

Are you looking for backcountry lakes or rivers? Or either? I've spent entire summer's trout bumming these areas.

Also, some highly recommended books for this area are Fishing the Beartooths by Pat Marcuson and Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry by Rich Osthoff. The latter is a great book. He does not give up the exact locations of his big golden lakes or the huge brookie lake but if you have some brains, maps and piece together his clues scattered about in his book plus have the energy to actually get to the lakes then you are in for one heck of a time. That said he does put you on allot of other good water easily. For the Beartooths...Rocky Mountain Surveys has a great set of maps that even include stocking info/ and what type of trout is stocked or present.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20inchgolden_windrivers.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	5059   Click image for larger version

Name:	big_brook_beartooths.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	5060  

Last edited by griz; 10-18-2005 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm used to stream and river fishing in my home state of Michigan so I'd prefer that over lakes, but I'm up for anything. I'll look into the books you recommended...I've got all winter to get started.

I plan to take at most two weeks so I need to have a pretty good idea of where I'm going before I get there. Not that wandering the woods is ever time wasted!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:42 PM

Sounds good. The Beartooth's are more of a lake lover destination. None of these are great secrets but still have fun fishing...

- 2nd and 3rd meadows on Slough Creek in Yellowstone for nice,smart but not too smart cutts. You can hike up and out of the park and camp there if you can't get a site in the park . Make a reservation for in the park.

- this is a BIG hike but down Gordon Creek to the South Fork of the Flathead in Montana. you'll burn a week but good stuff)

-Hike down Big Creek(trib of the Middle Fork of the Salmon) as far as you can go in Idaho. Fun stuff. Not in montana but ...um...take the hint.

All are in Osthoff's book.

poof.... there go your two weeks!

Last edited by griz; 10-18-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:53 PM

A maple river guy...
say hi to that stream for me.
I'd suggest the wind rivers or beartooths. There's so much good fishing out there. If you stay flexible and have enough time, you will find something amazing.
good luck.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:54 PM

I would second the Slough Creek recommendation.....as long as you dont mind grizzlies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.