Maryland trout streams? - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2001, 10:02 AM

Maryland trout streams?

Is there any good natural or stocked trout streams in Maryland? I am going to be relocating to Frederick, Maryland in early 2002. I will need a place to fly-fish come spring time.
Looking for brooks and browns, but I'm always chasing rainbows.
Any tips will help.
mayflyman
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2001, 04:16 PM

You should call my buddy Newel or Grizzly @ Anglers Lie 703 527 2524. Big Hunting Creek, The Gunpowder and the Susquahanna come to mind. Others will know more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2001, 03:04 PM
Recent Member

Mayflyman-

As a northern virginia resident let me say that you will find numerous opportunities around the Frederick MD area.

Frederick puts you within ten to fiteen minutes of Big Hunting Creek (stocked and some naturally reproducing). You are also within 45 minutes of some of Pennsylvannia's most well known southcentral streams (LeTort, Falling Springs, and Yellow Breeches).

Western Maryland has some great brookie fishing in the upper reaches of the Savage River. The Savage below the dam and the North Branch of the Potomac are beginning to get reputations as destination type streams with large and numerous fish being caught. These streams are some of the closest the Mid-Atlantic has to compare with Western style drift boat fishing.

You may also learn to love fishing for smallmouth bass as you will be within ten minutes of the Potomac River at Point of Rocks.

I concur with the earlier contact points at Angler's Lie in Arlington, VA, but there is also a new fly fishing store in Frederick and a long time store in Thurmont, MD, which has supplied guides over the past twenty years to Presidents and their guests at Camp David which is not far from Big Hunting Creek.

If you would like any additional area information feel free to email me of list at wbozarth@mccandlaw.com
Old 12-12-2001, 08:10 PM

Yes a good area for trout fishing. You have to try the Pennsylvania spring creeks mentioned previously. Plus you have
the Chesapeake Bay estuaries for stripers, blues, etc.. You have to give that a shot

Good luck I travel to Baltimore a few times each year but never enough time to do trout fishing.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:18 PM
Fluff

Mayfly. Give a look at www.mkfs.com - these guys run float trips you'll probably like on the Susquehanna, The Shenandoah and Potomac. Give it a look
Old 12-01-2006, 06:52 PM

I can recommend the Gunpowder without reservation. As a tailwater, it offers year-round fishing and has a great population of wild browns. The trout can be extremely selective, but seem to get bigger every year.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.