Octoberfest.. Sat. Group Meal - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2005, 12:34 PM
resigned

Octoberfest.. Sat. Group Meal

I have a catered meal I am looking into for Sat. night at Paddy's at Misquamicut Beach. Their kitchen is closed but they have kindly offered the property and the bar will be open. Plenty of parking for the boats. The meal will come from Pawcatuck, a short distance away. Macaroni and meatballs along with 4 sheet pizza's, rolls and a salad. Enough for 20 hungry fisherman. I am waiting for Paddy's to call back on details and whether or not there will be a group fee for use of their building and outdoor patio overlooking the beach.
So, if we get only 10 people I will need $18 per person for the food. 20 people =$9 per person for food. I will not divulge any more business names due to Forum rules but I can attest to the food being very good. Unless someone familair with the area has a better idea, we should go with this one.

So far it looks like 12 or more for dinner. We will plan it each side of dead low tide which will be around 7pm. Weather is looking great for the weekend! I would like to invite spouses and children who may be in the area with our group participants to join in on the fun. Those of you shy readers out there that want to join us just plan on meeting us at the group AM spots (to be annouced later) on the morning of Oct. 22 nd. It's a Saturday.

Phil
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Jonesin...

Phil,

That sounds great but I would have a concern. While the long term outlook does look great I don't exactly trust long term outlooks. If we choose a catered affair and only 4 or 5 people show due to the weather or other circumstances we now have a whole lot of food and a big bill to split between a few people. Are there other restaurants that could handle us on a walk in basis? There is a decent little grinder/pizza shop across the street from McDonalds. We could call in an order there and bring the food to Paddy's if they are just looking for the bar business. I think the key here is to keep things flexible as we really don't know what the participation will be when push comes to shove.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2005, 04:51 PM

Recommendations

I don't know yet whether I will put in an appearance yet. First I haven't even got my Beach Permit yet, debating whether it is worth the money this year, High price of gas (I am retired) and beach conditions. The beaches facing south have some very erroded spots, I am not ready yet do do much digging out of the sand.
I would recommend fishing Napatree Point if you don't mind the walk. fish all the way out and back. The short wall near the bath house is usually good, but very slippery. The sand from there out to the point is good, as the fish work all along it.
Watch Hill Beach east is good about anytime You will see the four wheel drive vehicles working the whole beach almost out to the light at Watch Hill.
Misquamicut State Beach access is available along the whole beach, this time of the year plenty of places to park. It is good fishing when the fish are right in the suds, but frustrating when about 2 casts offshore, at the eastern end the city of Westerly has a beach, the fish work all the way from the Weekapaug Breachway. At the end of the parking lot on the westside of the breachway, there is a right of way that takes you to the ocean front about a 100 yards on the beach front out there is a couple of rocks where sometimes a good fish hids, but can be taken.
I could go on and on but how far do you want to go away from the Sandy Point crowd? If I do get down there I will have a beach permit, and would take a couple of guys on the beach. Whereever you go please stop in at Weekapaug Bait, and mention my name, Charlie might even tell you where the fish are. East Beach Road at the end of which there is the Blue Shutters Beach, Park in the lot walk right to Fresh Pond Rock another good area. There is always Quonochontaug
ArtB

Last edited by artb; 10-14-2005 at 04:54 PM. Reason: error
Old 10-14-2005, 05:31 PM
resigned

There is a decent little grinder/pizza shop across the street from McDonalds. .

Sean[/QUOTE]

Now you've gone and done it!!!!!!! J F Basser's lookin' for a BIG burger and the rest of us can settle for pizza and subs. I like input. More input!!!!!!

Brian from Paddy's called. We're on for Saturday night. No charge for use of the facility. He said to bring our own food and girls... I mean grilles. LOL!!!!!!!

Phil
Old 10-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Pencil me in.....

Great...so were set for a get together at Paddys on Sat at about 6 pm?
Old 10-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Jonesin...

6 or 7? I am just thinking that 6 will be right at last light for those that want to catch it. I think if we put together a short list of places to get some grub to go people could just stop and get what they want and we could all meet at Paddy's. Takes away all the complication of getting orders right etc...
Old 10-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Pencil me in.....

Arrive at Paddy's a 7 pm then
Old 10-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Flats Rat

At the spring clave we did a buffet style thing that seemed to work out pretty good. I can bring a selection of cheeses/ farmhouse pate and snack type stuff...

Another thought for the pot ........
Old 10-15-2005, 08:30 AM
resigned

So it has been decided upon that we will all meet at Paddy's Resturant on Atlantic Ave. at the western edge of Misquamicut State Beach at 7 PM. Please feel free to bring something along to add to the menu as Adrian suggested. Let's please remember that all drinks, soda, beer, wine, etc. will be provided by the resturant so please refrain from carrying in beverages. Let's all set a good precedent for next year end enjoy a return visit.

Sean. Please investigate the take out options nearby with specific directions for the beach group. If you are coming from the BI ramp with Slinger and Jared you can stop for something on the way to Paddy's.

JF Basser (John) is our command central phone meister for Saturday. Thanks again John! We will need someone else to step up and cover his postion for Sunday.

John. Please PM your cell phone number to the group if you do not want to publish it here. I have it already. John will be your man for finding out where the action is so please call him with your reports ASAP on Saturday.

Barn Island/Sandy Point yak group will meet around 6:30 AM at the Barn Island ramp. A shuttle is still possible but not guaranteed at this point. His boat was pulled for the storm.

The beach group can either make plans this week or meet at the Andrea Hotel at 6:30 AM. Google their site for directions. 89 Atlantic Ave. Misquamicut , RI. 02891

Phil
Old 10-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Pencil me in.....

Phil, I have been PM ing my cell to everyone that PMs me with theirs..fishing reports can come to me (unlimited minutes ) and we will distribute reports on a small calling tree. Branches of Outbound Tree are TBD at the moment till we get a firm list.. If someone does not have my cell number please PM me..Thanks

Last edited by jfbasser; 10-15-2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:25 PM
resigned

John. I'm sure I pm'ed you you most of the cell numbers. Please make sure Grizz 0707 (Chuck) has a group to fish with. He is coming all the way from Pa. with his wife and I think he is leaving the kayak home. If we don't get a shuttle for Sandy Point I will most likely cancel my plans to go out in my yak and make sure he is covered. If you met Grizz at the Boneclave two years ago you already know we owe him one big time. Chuck....we'll take care of you buddy!!!! And don't forget Drew! He's on his way down from the Kennebeck, Me. area so we have to hook him up as well. Welcome Drew! Chuck and Drew. Make darn sure you have JF Basser's cell number before you arrive please. Please PM him for it if you don't.

Phil
Old 10-16-2005, 06:18 AM

Thumbs up

I look foward to checking out my old haunts with the beach group,Watch Hill,Misquamicut,Nappatree all have done well for me in the past.So I am open as far as fishing sat. morn. I plan on doing some scouting fri. afternoon ,eve. And you can count me in for paddys sat. night.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:39 AM

Drew and I will do some Fri. eve scouting. FishHawk
Old 10-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Jonesin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefishmon
Sean. Please investigate the take out options nearby with specific directions for the beach group. If you are coming from the BI ramp with Slinger and Jared you can stop for something on the way to Paddy's.
Phil
Phil,

Not sure I can handle this one. I really don't know the names of any places. It is Rte. 1 and I know there are many options but giving directions to a number of places would be kind of hard without taking a drive down there and that just isn't feasible for me before the weekend. I will try and find the name and address of the place across from McDonalds but other than that I would have to reccomend just take a quick drive South of 78 if you don't want Pizza, Subs or McDs.

Sean
Old 10-16-2005, 05:14 PM
resigned

OK fellas! Listen up! Food needed.

Adrian has a very good point. He will be bringing assorted cheeses and snacks.
I will head back into Pawcatuck around 6pm and pick up enough sheet pizza and chips to feed everyone. Could someone bring a large salad or two, etc, etc.. We will need paper plates and forks. I'm sure if everyone brings a little something to add to the meal it will be much more enjoyable than grabbing a grinder and bringing it to Paddy's. We pull this off on an island without too much difficulty. Please prepare something that won't spoil or deliver it to Paddy's in the late AM for refrigeration. I will also try and make a guacamole. I might be able to secure a grille if someone wants to bring chicken or burgers.

Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.