North Shore of Lake Superior - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 07:07 PM

North Shore of Lake Superior

Good Day

I havn't had the opportunity to fish Great Lakes Salmon much but in the two trips that I did make to Sault Ste Marie I was very impressed, fishing a run of pinks and chinooks in a small river with every pool literally full of pinks and decent numbers of chinooks, so I thought. A local told me that this was only the beginning of the chinook run. I thought to myself that there must be a hundred rivers between the Sault and Thunder Bay that host decent runs of salmon. I'm not asking anyone to divulge their secret hotspots but I was wondering if anyone on this forum has fished that area and would care to share any of their experiences. I don't know about you guys but I'm just a working stiff who isn't going to afford a fully guided fly in trip to Labrador anytime soon. So as a result I'm always researching new fishing areas / opportunities. Really Ontario is one of the best deals anywhere in Canada for fishing. Presently I live in NB and manage to get in a few trips to the Crown Reserve (atlantic salmon fishing) every summer, but the Sault is still high on my list of places to return to someday.

Bill Gass
New Brunswick

PS - I tried to attach a picture of me at the Sault not sure of it worked or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2005, 09:16 AM

Bill,
You are absolutely right, there are many many Superior tributaries that recieve between one to six species of salmonids. Some are little trickles, others are very large. Fall runs are present, but very weather dependant. Not a terribly good option for those travelling from far. Spring steelhead runs are quite consistant. Late April and May is probably the time to be up there. The fish are a little smaller than those found in other great lakes... although they aren't much smaller than Lake Huron fish anymore. The runs of the north shore are entirely supported by natural reproduction, so limits are relatively strict (in comparison to other Ontario tributaries). Since all decent sized flows gets runs, its a great spot to grab a map and go exploring... of course some quick internet research prior to a trip would provide some very usefull starting points!
PEte
Old 10-18-2005, 07:32 PM

Nipigon River

Has anyone here ever fished the Nipigon, home of the record brook trout? I've read that the river has changed somewhat since those days, covered in hydroelectric resevoirs and even has another river that formerly flowed to Hudson Bay added to its flow. Under the last dam is a 25 km tailwater that holds steelhead year round, get coaster brook trout runs, salmon runs and has resident rainbows. The river is big and fast, trout will hit big bushy dries and baitfish imitations. The river has salmonfly and stonefly hatches, as well as others. Sounds like alot of fun to me. MNR biologists and sportsmen's organization have got the flow straightened out a little for the coasters. I drove right by it last May coming back from the west, not even thinking. Ended up pike fishing instead. I might go out that way this coming summer.

Also in the area is the Steel river, which holds steelhead year round and gets coaster runs. The Steel has never had a log drive and the river is in good condition. Ontario Hydro has put forth a proposal to dam it for its hydro potential. This link is a website with alot of info on the Steel and Nipigon, its also a plea for public support condemning the hydro proposal.

www.members.shaw.ca/amuir/steel_river.htm
Old 10-19-2005, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny

Also in the area is the Steel river, which holds steelhead year round and gets coaster runs. The Steel has never had a log drive and the river is in good condition. Ontario Hydro has put forth a proposal to dam it for its hydro potential. This link is a website with alot of info on the Steel and Nipigon, its also a plea for public support condemning the hydro proposal.

www.members.shaw.ca/amuir/steel_river.htm
Those who have had the chance to spend this river, know its spectacular both in terms of wildnerness experience and in terms of fishing potential. I would urge anyone interested to take some action on this topic. There are 2 proposed sites, one of which may cut off a large portion of the spawning water that 5 salmonid species use. The pics below are from near the proposed upper site which fish will not be able to access if both projects go through.

Tight lines,
PEte,

PS, forgot to introduce myself . I live in Toronto, and attending UofT as a grad student. My work focuses on genetic and life history variation of Lake Superior and Lake Ontario steelhead. As any steelhead addict would be, I'm quite fortunate to have the opportunity to travel around sampling steelhead.

Last edited by PEte A; 10-19-2005 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.