ArmyCorp Explains Dalles Fish Count - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 10:05 AM

ArmyCorp Explains Dalles Fish Count

I querried the Army Corp website for the Columbia, and noticed they had a sparse F.A.Q section. They addressed the Shad count discrepancies between Bonniville and The Dalles. I ask them to add a discussion of the Steelhead count discrepancies between the Dalles and John Day. I was promptly answered and I am pasting the reply below.

Hi Iwana, to answer your question the Army Corp of Engineers is aware of this discrepancy and actually did a study on it, we are trying to find an electronic copy of that to add to our FAQ page. The problem is caused by a combination of issues: John Day gets lots of adult fall backs (which means that the same fish could be counted multiple times as it moves up and down); there are probably steelhead holding in the pool between the dams and moving upstream later on; the configuration of dam could mean that more fish use the locks at The Dalles, though we have seen with shad that more go through the Bonneville locks than the Dalles. Obviously the count at the Dalles should be higher, but all the COE can do is count what goes by the window and report what they actually see and have no way of knowing how many go through the locks or are being counted for a second time.
In terms of the difference being Deschutes - yes the difference minus the tribal fishery (1,000 fish this year) should be about the number of fish going up tributaries.

Deidre Wood,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.