Water levels are up a bit - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2005, 08:31 PM
_

Water levels are up a bit

We got over 10" of rain in my area. The stretch of the Housy where I fish was way over the banks. Here's the marker on the bridge near the launch site and a view from the bridge. The marker is on the bridge abutment on the left. Last weekend I was fishing from the bank there and could walk under the bridge!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marker1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	5046   Click image for larger version

Name:	marker2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	5047   Click image for larger version

Name:	bridge.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	5048  
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2005, 08:34 PM
_

Here's the parking lot at the launch site:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parkinglot.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	5049   Click image for larger version

Name:	sign.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	5050  
Old 10-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Fly chucker

Yikes!

The CT River is looking like chocolate milk right now....I hope the stripers and shad don't get blown out by all of this crap in the water.

Boaters beware of floating debris!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
The lakes in my area sure could use the extra rain. They've been getting pretty low...

Last edited by teflon_jones; 10-12-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Fly chucker

Well, now we have flash flood warnings for low lying areas from now through early Sunday. The days that are forecasted for sunshine keep getting bumped further and further away.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:23 PM
_

Mark, I saw your city mentioned on The Weather Channel. Looks like you got a little bit of rain there too!

Q
Old 10-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Fly chucker

Yeah, the Connecticut River flows right between Middletown and Portland. Thankfully we live on a hill and are not in any immediate flood zones.

Weather Channel, huh? I guess that's the start of our fifteen minutes.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:06 AM

Just curious, what effect are you gents seeing from the rising water in your local holes? Went out this past friday in RI. Air was COOL and water surface temps in the low 50's. Expected to find the bass holding on the edges of deeper dropoffs. Instead, they were right up shallow in 2-4' of water as if they were in flooding summertime conditions. Worse part was , I froze my butt off for 2 fishless hours before I figgured it out

Last edited by Wee Hooker; 10-24-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Fly chucker

At this time of year, the bass are more influenced by temperature than water level. The falling temperatures are prompting them to fatten up for the impending winter, so if the water levels are up then it is no surprise that they would be shallow and looking for food in every nook and cranny. This won't be the case for too much longer, because the temps will drop below their comfort zone and they will retreat to the more stable temperatures of deeper water.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:18 PM

I was out twice last week (Weds and Fri) in a local lake that I know very well. Both times I was on the water at about 7 am and fished for 3-4 hours. The weather both times was similar, I fished the same areas, and used the same patterns and retrieves, but I got very different results.

On Weds, the fishing was consistent through all 3-4 hours and I landed about 6 good bass, plus a few pickerel and sunfish (I don't know how the sunnies get a 1/0 hook in their mouths, but they do). The bass ranged in size a bit: one 12" fish, one 14", two around 15", and two around 18". All except the first one were caught in the middle of nowhere in the lake; no structure, weeds, or anything special around. I have no idea why the bass in this lake don't follow the rules, but time and time again, they are always in this one area of the lake far from shore. When I say one area, it's probably a 20 acre area, not a small area. There nothing on the bottom there, not depth difference, nothing.

On Friday, I caught a couple of sunfish and pickerel early, then nothing for hours until I got a 15" bass at about 10 am. I fished all the same areas, but the fish weren't biting anything I threw. I closed up the day with only the one bass, plus a few pickerel and sunfish.

The lakes near me I fish are at least 1' above normal levels, so the pads, which are the major structure for bass, are all about 1' below the surface right now. Points, coves, shallows, etc are also all screwed up so fishing has been interesting.

I was also out fishing a different lake the day after the week-long rainstorm stopped, and the fish were biting pretty good. I ended up with about 6-8 good bass on the day.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:46 PM

Also found I needed to SLOW my retrieve and fish at/near the bottom. ( like the water was REAL cold.) Have you had to alter your offerings/presentation this early too?

Sometimes I think it's just this lake that is acting weird. Then again, It's quite possable that my cold weather flyrod bassing skills are probobly as rusty as my memory. In recient years past, I was always out chaseing strippers by mid October. If memory serves, low 50's was near the Largemouths edge in comfort. No?

Last edited by Wee Hooker; 10-24-2005 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Fly chucker

Off the top of my head, I think that you're right on about the lower range of temperature for the comfort zone of largemouths. And yes, in my experience as the water cools down the presentations have to slow down too.

With Wilma, Alpha, and the low pressure system sitting off the New England coast, things might go bye-bye rather quickly here at the end of the season.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:29 AM

Wee Hooker,
I've been fishing areas that are usually about 5-6 ft deep, and also shallower areas near the shore. I've been fishing up near the surface, usually no more than 2' down. There's too many pads to fish deeper since you hook one on nearly every cast if you try and go deeper. The bass are definitely starting to slow down and have a lot less fight in them than they did a few weeks ago. That week of rain really changed things FAST! I've slowed my presentation down a little, but in general, I never fish very fast anyway.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the cold water refresher gents. Been bass fishing 30+ years but mostly in spring /summer for the last 10 . Seems the older I get, the faster I loose recollection of " archived stuff" that see's little use. Teh old Hard Drive is getting full I guess.
Hope to see a local WW clave next year. I'd enjoy meeting / fishing with all of you at some point. I'm REALLY going to hate to see the season close this year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.