Octoberfest RI: Input thread - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2005, 01:27 PM
resigned

Octoberfest RI: Input thread

Please refer to past Rhoddy Clave threads for information leading up to this one and give your input. The pot is almost done. Where do you want to fish?

Phil
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2005, 03:45 PM

For me the weather is going to determine what I do. I don't enjoy fishing with the crowds and have several spots that I will try. I wouldn't mind trying Sandy Point with the yak. So I'll just have to wait and see. Phill keep up the good work. Let's get this off the ground. FishHawk
Old 10-11-2005, 05:06 PM
resigned

Your earlier post suggested a Yak Clave within the Rhody Clave. OK. Who is in on a Yak Clave to cover the Napatree/BI area and phone out reports to the group?

Phil
Old 10-11-2005, 07:00 PM
_

My specific plans will depend a lot on the weather, but in general I was planning to camp at Burlingame on Friday, Saturday and maybe Sunday and fish my usual places in Western RI. The Sandy Point plan sounds like fun and I might like to do that if the weather is good and there are enough boats so that shuttle service is not a burden to anyone.

Keep stirrin' Phil! Even if the Sandy Point plan doesn't work out for this trip I think there is enough interest to keep it in mind for another time.

Q
Old 10-11-2005, 07:29 PM
LBFF Mojo

Phil I was thinking about this while tring to cast into a 20mph headwind today

Why don't the willing kaykers head to sandy point and those of us on foot meet up and head out in groups of 2 or 3. As we find fish (or not) we can call you or someone who wants to be the cell phone meister with reports. This way if others are not finding fish they call the cell phone meister and get the current reports of where the fish are hitting.

So nobody gets stuck out at sandy point due to no transportation and if the fish happen to not be there you guys are mobile and can come join the guys that are finding fish. Or you guys may just strike it rich and have all the fish you can handle

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2005, 05:44 AM
resigned

Phone Meister

That's exactly the beef needed for the stew! I'll drop it in the pot and let it cook for a while. Who wants to be 'phone meister'? Sean? Have you done one of these before? LOL!!!!!! If that was a hit it was a homer! You might want step up to home plate now! Fellas, we are getting closer!

Phil
Old 10-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Flats Rat

I'll be dragging the yak along unless its forecast to blow over 25kt from the North!

I've never fished the Barn Island / Sandy Point area before and there's a lot of water to cover.

I'll be bringing a marine VHF radio as well as cell phone.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:24 AM
Pencil me in.....

I like the idea of "loose contact" via a cell phone Meister possibly with one group meal or group check in for a face-to-face...Very similar to the typical spring clave. I will probably beach fish the evening / night shift on foot on Friday so I don't get distracted by any Funny Fish. My needlefish technique needs some work.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:40 PM

I'll try Barn Island also, but like I said earlier it's all weather dependent. I think that this will be more like the Spring Clave . At the BoneClave everyone was confined to the island. I like the evening get together. However, I don't want to launch in the dark since I've never done Barn Island. There could be a lot of boat traffic at Barn Island and I would like the boats to see us. We should do a Yak Clave next year with a couple of mother ships doing the scouting for us.
FishHawk
Old 10-12-2005, 05:52 PM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian
I'll be dragging the yak along unless its forecast to blow over 25kt from the North!

I've never fished the Barn Island / Sandy Point area before and there's a lot of water to cover.

I'll be bringing a marine VHF radio as well as cell phone.
Holy Smokes Adrian! So happy you're coming! Can we enjoy your prence on both days? Did you find lodging?

Phil
Old 10-12-2005, 06:13 PM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHawk
I'll try Barn Island also, but like I said earlier it's all weather dependent. I think that this will be more like the Spring Clave . At the BoneClave everyone was confined to the island. I like the evening get together. However, I don't want to launch in the dark since I've never done Barn Island. There could be a lot of boat traffic at Barn Island and I would like the boats to see us. We should do a Yak Clave next year with a couple of mother ships doing the scouting for us.
FishHawk
OOOOOOW! Mother Ship Clave like in the Bahamas! LOL!! We could hit Montauk, Block Is., The Vineyards and Nantucket. Here I go, off on a tangent. Fish Hawk has PM'ed me. He has his heart set on Sandy Point. I am also leaning in that direction as well as Adrian. I am working on a shuttle (buddy of my son's) and he may be willing to help out the landlubbers and will stay with us for the duration. He has to clear this for Saturday but I have high hopes. Maritime Skiff. If there is no action on the beaches I can make arrangements for ALL of us to fish in one spot together for the afternnon. This will be a GREAT second option.

Sandy Point is protected from high surf, has flats and channels. Eel grass beds abound near shore that are very healthy. The area is always loaded with bait. It's my South Beach and for good reasons. Caught my 1st sight fished bass of 38 inches on a fly there 10 years ago. It rarely lets me down.

Phil
Old 10-12-2005, 06:28 PM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbasser
I like the idea of "loose contact" via a cell phone Meister possibly with one group meal or group check in for a face-to-face...Very similar to the typical spring clave. I will probably beach fish the evening / night shift on foot on Friday so I don't get distracted by any Funny Fish. My needlefish technique needs some work.
High, slack tide will be around noontime. Andrea Hotel on the beach for lunch. All sorties to meet there and discuss plans for the afternoon strategies on Saturday.
Sunday we play by ear.

Dinner? Well now. Lot's of option here. Should we stick to the beach area? Paddy's at Misquamicut and the Andrea Hotel. We need room to park trailered boats...Sean ...Slinger (I owe you a dinner!) and Jared along with any other's that have boats. Your thoughts please! Fishing after dinner a Big plus! We're right there!

Phil
Old 10-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Jonesin...

Phil,

I am all for the group dinner (you don't owe me anything) and the beach area sounds good to. Lunch probably won't work for those on boats. I think we should keep the dinner place pretty reasonable price wise as well. Sounds like you have got things really rolling now and if this weather ever breaks I think we are going to have some solid action. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2005, 08:49 PM
resigned

Paddy's should suit everyone's taste and budget plus there should be room for the boats. If the weather is favorable we can eat outdoors on the veranda. I'll give them a shout. What time should we plan dinner for? Low tide is around 7pm.

Phil
Old 10-13-2005, 07:15 AM

Well it looks as if my brother cannot join us he has other obligations,But I have made reservations for fri and sat at the sea breeze motel. I think the sandy point thing sounds great. I should be in stoneington by noon on fri. Hope to get some fishing in fri eve,it will be good to see some of my old haunts,and freinds. And fish hawk no fuel pump problems like the spring clave!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.