Octoberfest..Rhody Clave signup - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2005, 08:24 AM
resigned

Octoberfest..Rhody Clave signup

We are only two weeks away from Octoberfest weekend. It looks like we have only one boat for a shuttle at this point so if you have a Kayak, please bring it. If you are fortunate to have two yaks and would like to lend one out, please consider this option. This is the last Clave of the season to my knowledge so come if you can! We head for the Sandy Point... Napatree Point area as a group.

So far we have..........nine

Quentin
Adrian....yak
Fishawk...yak
Greg D...yak
Dble Haul....yak
JF Basser
Slinger..boat
Bonefishmon...yak
Nick

I'm all alone on dinner plans for those who will stay over on Saturday night. I have a couch or two at the house or bring an air mattress. You can tent in my yard. There are some very good dinning options close by. May be a bit cold to picnic.

Phil
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2005, 10:14 AM
resigned

Octoberfest carpool

Those traveling from the north in the Mass. area may want to hook up and carpool
if you are planning a full weekend. Sandy Point on Saturday the 22nd and Weekapaug jetty area and beaches to the east on Sunday. Please PM me your specific plans so that I can arrange for lodging near Barn Island ramp. I would suggest some of you come Friday night so that you do not have to get up at 4am to make the 6am departure scheduled. I have located a Hotel just a few minutes from the launch in Stonington for $60+tax with two double beds for those who do not want to pitch a tent in the yard. A shared room will be about $32 per night pp. PM me for info on this specific lodging option. Ther are no fly shops in the area. Directions to Barn Island ramp will follow shortly.

Phil
Old 10-09-2005, 08:23 PM
resigned

We have a few more traveling in from Maine and Pa!

Kennebeck Fly...Drew and his brother Chris

Grizz... Chuck and his wife.

Dinner plans for Saturday night to be annouced.

Phil
Old 10-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Jonesin...

Phil PM'd me and asked me to provide some shuttle help for this. While I am feeling a little bit guilty about my decision I am going to have to decline. Frankly, I need to be a little selfish here. There is a ton of water out there and this will be my first fall migration with a boat. If the weather cooperates and a trip to Montauk/BI seems like the right choice I want to have that option available and would not feel right taking off should the weather change or someone get hurt and need an imeadiate lift off the island. I also agree with MikeZ in that I think you are limiting your chances by parking on Sandy Point for the day. I suspect the migration will be in full swing and that means things will be on the move. I also suspect that traditional sight fishing opportunities will be all but gone. IMHO, forget the green crabs the stripes will be schooled up chasing bait. With twelve anglers you could cover some serious water along route 1 and find the fish. I will do my best to make any dinner plans and certainly share any info I have at that time. I will also offer up a spot on the boat if I have one available.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2005, 04:24 PM

While I can't make this outing I have to agree about the danger of being stranded on an sand spit without a way off. I sounds like a cool place to fish but if I was boatless in Rhody I'd prefer to jump around and find the albies, but that's me.

If I do make it down it will most likely be Friday, possibly Fri. night at Burlingame and Saturday morning, my wife has other plans for me Saturday night. If I do get down there I'll pass on any useful info to Phil.

Take a look at a chart and look at the proximity of deep water to Napatree and Watch hill shorelines. topozone.com or noaa have some charts online. In my opinion this puts you into a much more albie friendly zone.

I've come out of the Pacachuck(whatever the heck it's called) River to striper blitzes but the small number of times I've fished Rhody from shore, yak and boat those outer beaches and breachways seem to be where the action is in the fall. If you guys split up and can call each other on the cell I'll bet you do quite well. If I were down there right now with this NE blow, the salt ponds would be where you'd find me.

For what it's worth Lefty, Chuck and I fished in the boat no more than a cast offshore in S.county on 10/29 and got into Bonito
Old 10-10-2005, 07:33 PM
resigned

Pot's boiling now!

At last.... some input! Exactly what I was expecting to hear after Mike Z's report. This is not my gig but everyone's. I've got a big ladle so please keep the ideas coming and and I'll keep on stirring. I'm having a lot of fun with this and am so happy it's up and running closer to my neck of the ocean for a change.

Sandy Point was our original destination due to the yak interest and the amount of bait the river provides. I have sight fished Sandy Point in mid October and although not as prolific as the summer months the water temps tend to be a little bit warmer on the flats than on the ocean if the sun is out and the overnight temps are not fridgid. Sean may be right though. It can be hit or miss. My big concern this week is the amount of fresh water coming out of the river from all this rain!

I personally think that Washburn Island Boneclaves are so popular because of the tightness in which it holds the group as a whole. Most of the time when I'm fishing here I'm trying to avoid other fisherman but this is a "clave" and by definition from Webster's 1. A room which may be locked. 2. Any private or secret meeting. 3. Any large conference or convention. Also a private meeting to elect the Pope! My defintion? A meeting of passionate fly fisherman with a common goal, fishing side by side and sharing our laughter and frurtrations together before the season ends.

Something concete will come of this with added input from everyone. There are great reports coming from inshore fisherman here in Stonington and some personal bests just a few days ago in the Barn Island area. Those breachways get really crowded with hardware slingers this time of year and if we are primarily targeting Fat Alberts on foot we'll have to deal with the crowds and lots of running and gunning from cars. Not my idea of quality time spent together as a group. I did mention that option for Sunday to help satisfy those that want to search for blitzes. My vote is still for Sandy Point on Saturday being that most of us will have kayaks. If Jim or Mike Z calls with great reports from the beaches we can all hi-tail it over to Misquiamicut and fan out from there in the afternoon. Drew has plans to rent a skiff in Mystic and we could all pitch in for the rescue boat if he plans to stay put with his brother and all of us. Small price to pay for saftety.

How about some votes?

Phil
Old 10-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Pencil me in.....

How do those beaches fish at night, Phil? Another factor to consider...as well as a good restaurant with cheeseburgers open late at night
Old 10-10-2005, 08:34 PM
resigned

John. Please clean out your in inbox. It's full. I got your PM. Thanks. I will email you a place to stay right on the beach and they have flood lights on all night! I'm sure they can cook up a huge burger while you're there.

Phil
Old 10-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Pencil me in.....

Great,....Burgers and Needlefish plugs all night long
Old 10-10-2005, 10:21 PM
LBFF Mojo

Hey Phil let me know about this place. I think I will be around the area but will not do the sandy point thing. Would love to see you guys for dinner buit want to keep my options open for the day.

-sean
Old 10-11-2005, 12:42 AM
CantAnchorUs

I`m not so keen on the idea of being the taxi driver, I`m going to fish! I`d be happy to take a couple of guys out fishing both days, but Cantanchorus is not a shuttle service.
Slinger
Old 10-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Fly chucker

Phil-

Let's not put the cart ahead of the horse here....I said I'd check my schedule to see if I can make it or not, and as of right now things are still up in the air. I am not a definite for this trip as you've listed above.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Jonesin...

Pardon me if I am reading too much into the last few posts but lets take it easy on Phil here. Seems to me the guy has taken the bull by the horns and tried to initiate something we always talk about but only get to every few years when someone steps up. We all can feel the seasons end nearing and want to get out and catch some fish which I am the first to admit. Lets just make sure we show how much we appreciate his efforts here.

Sean
Old 10-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smcdermott
Pardon me if I am reading too much into the last few posts but lets take it easy on Phil here.
Yes, you probably are reading too much into at least my post. I don't want Phil relying on me to be there if things are still up in the air on my end, plain and simple.

After having sampled Phil's shadfest hole back in July, I'm well aware of his generousity.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:57 AM

Im willing to help out any way I can, If it was not such along tug Id bring my boat down,Im sure when I get there id wished I had.So as for fishing I dont know if I will be renting a skiff or wadeing both sounds good to me.Also there is a chance my freind from Derby ct. might be showing with his boat. I wil be comeing down fri. andstaying untill sun mid morn plenty of time to find some fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.