Atlantis and Rio Outbound - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2005, 07:30 PM

Atlantis and Rio Outbound

After waiting for the airflo 40+ beach lines for what seems like forever I finally broke down and picked up the Rio Outbound clear intermediate and sinking line (I 'm presently having a brain fart and can't remember what sink rate).This line is sweeeeeeeeet,120 ft gone with very little effort,I was using the Wulff triangle line before,so when I cast the rio the first time I basicly used the same amount of speed or power as the wulff line and quickly realized the rio line requires much less effort,one backcast, with a little line shoot and bye bye.Congrats to the people at Rio ,a great match up with the Atlantis.( One regret ,I wish it were longer like the Air flo I would like to see the extra 30 feet shoot out).Dig that drag chirp!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Paul,

I can't agree more - these lines are spot-on for the Surf-tamer.

I also like the 10wt Outbound on the smaller Atlantis a lot but just got the 9wt to see if it gives me a little more finesse on the "all-arounder" for flats use. Since I always used a 9wt single anyway I am hoping to get the same stealth factor while sight fishing but with the extra gears when I need them in reserve.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-13-2005, 10:28 PM

I'm using a 10wt Outbound floater on a Sage 8126. Now I'm wondering why I use a popper if I can't see where it lands!!!!! It will be awesome come fall coho time.

Leland.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
....I also like the 10wt Outbound on the smaller Atlantis a lot but just got the 9wt to see if it gives me a little more finesse on the "all-arounder" for flats use. ......
It looks like the "9 wt" Outbound is on the order of 30 to 40 percent heavier than AFTMA 9 wt line specs.

Last edited by Greg Pavlov; 07-14-2005 at 04:11 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:17 AM

Hi Greg -

Not sure if you were saying "good, bad or indifferent" with your comment; but I would add that these considerations to the mix:

- most common integrated head/running lines on the striper scene = 325-350 grain over 26-28ft length which is 40% over AFTMA used on 9wt single hand rods

- Outbound has 7.5 feet of the fattest part past the AFTMA 30' so it might be more AFTMA-compliant than today's most popular integrated lines

- most two-handers are rated for spey lines which in 9wt can be from nearly 600 to over 1000 grains over the head length

In conclusion, 40% over AFTMA on a 37.5 ft head is probably perfect for the single handed 9wt rods. I suggested that such a line might be called "quickfire" to Simon years ago, since a flats line must load reliably with a short line at the ready. It turns out the visual color change is the key as knowing it will load' is half the battle. I have not had the unloaded or over-loaded rod blues on the flats since I got the clear headed / bright running line combo on the reel.

But too short loading and the head turns itself inside out in flight, I am starting to believe that 38 ft is indeed the magic number.

I hope the 9wt won't be too light for the 11ft 9/10wt Atlantis. When it comes to chirping the drag with a full line cast the 10wt does it for me but the 9wt might provide the finesse match up I want for Monomoy.

Fun to find out anyway!
Old 07-14-2005, 06:44 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Juro
What size outbound for the 11 wt surftamer?
Bill
Old 07-14-2005, 07:53 AM

Bill -

The one I've been using most is the DH12 (double hand rating). It loads the surf-tamer well and does not over-load it. It can be cast with an easy stroke and produces a powerful cast, or you can work on a tight and compact driving 2-handed push-pull loop for those 30 mph wind days. Very nice match up.

The DH11 also loads the rod with a 'type A' lighter crisper load. Greg Pearson thought it was a nice load, although his fine casting would accomodate a broad range of match-ups. He was throwing it a long way. My own experimentation with a lighter load recently revealed a lot of good things about two-handed overhead casting because it promoted the use of kinetic energy over a reliance on grains and I think it improved my stroke considerably.

It's a matter of preference and fly size - needless to say the DH12 will push a lot of feather and delivers that down-shift of effort with commanding results. I would have to say that if you are looking for distance, easy loading, and ability to move bunker flies or giant poppers then go with the DH12.

The remarkable thing about these lines is that the head does not flail even at such long distances, and like striperstripper I agree the lines could be longer and we'd have no problem exploiting it.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:59 AM

Caution on line ratings

As to the correct Outbound for the 1111, be aware that the grains have changed from some of the earlier prototypes some received before the lines were officially released in stores. So, for example, the original "12 Wt." prototype I got was 595 grains over 34.5 feet, whereas the current 12 Wt. production model is 510 grains over 37.5 feet-- a substantial difference. I called Simon to ask about the Surf Tamer and he suggested the production 13 Wt., which has 555 grains over 37.5. I have since gotten the intermediate and type 8 in this 13 weight configuration and it seems the right match for the Atlantis. Under the current rating, the 11 weight and even the 12 (at 465 and 510, respectively) might be a little light. Don't know for sure, Juro, but the 12 you tried might have been one of the earlier heavier ones. Doesn't 550 at 37.5 seem to be about right, while anything in the 500-600 range might be ideal for different casters?

As for the smaller Atlantis, I'd be curious about the right production model. I've considered getting that rod before, and I don't know what the "recommended" grain range is. Heads for the 9 and 10 are rated at 375 and 425 respectively, which sounds about right.

And, by the way, I agree about the AFTMA thing, which only rates the first 30 feet plus the level tip (usually six inches), whereas most commercial fly lines have heads in the 40 foot range. There was a long discussion not long ago on another FF board about the confusion AFTMA ratings create. Meiser's "grain window" recommendations for two handers is a great idea.

Peace, y'all.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:07 AM

Now you got me worried, as most of the lines I have been using are developmental models.

Speybro - can you 'lay down the law' for us?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:18 AM

I bet you got the heavier, earlier one like I did. The correct specs are on the RIO site for production models. Also, I bought one of those little $15 scales off of Ebay so I could weigh these things myself and I also got out the tapemeasure.
Try measuring the head on your prototype, and the $15 scale is well worth it. By the way, the 595 grain prototype casted really well too, I just like the longer head.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:40 AM

Jazzman -

OK - I've checked into this and the lines I have are the 37.5ft heads weighing 600 grains, intermediate and sinking. The website lists them as 14wt lines, but I have been informed by Rio that they will be rated DH12 (double-handed 12wt) as far as Atlantis users are concerned.

The other line we tested was indeed the DH11 (listed on the website as WF13wt). The head length is also 38ft and the grains 555.

Depending on when the boxes were printed it will either be the WF14 or the DH12 rating, both will be correct.

To be sure, just ask the dealer to make sure they are giving you the DH12 or DH11 , which are 37.5ft and 600 grain or 555 grain respectively.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:22 PM

Gotcha -- didn't know that they were going to have a two-hand designation for these things as well. Good to clear up any ambiguity so people don't buy the wrong size. Now, what size will work for the little Atlantis -- production 9/10 at 375 or 425 respectively?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Hi Greg -

Not sure if you were saying "good, bad or indifferent" with your comment; but I would add that these considerations to the mix:....
Nothing particularly bad about it other than that we've pretty much got to the point that line ratings don't mean anything so either one must experiment or read a board such as this to find out what to use. I'd rather do the latter because I don't like the thought of paying for "experiments."
Quote:
It turns out the visual color change is the key as knowing it will load' is half the battle. .....
The color change *is* very nice. One thing that I like about separate heads, tho, is that it makes it much easier to tell where you're at when you're fishing at night. Maybe Rio can add a short glow section, as they do with one (a few?) of their intermediate lines.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pavlov
Maybe Rio can add a short glow section, as they do with one (a few?) of their intermediate lines.
That would be COOL (and probably safer too)
Old 07-15-2005, 11:01 AM

Hey Juro,

Could you please list your Outbound line reccomendation for the Small Atlantis

Regards
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.