Which 9 wt rod??? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2005, 09:44 AM

Which 9 wt rod???

I have been fishing a sage 15' 9wt for steelhead in BC and I use the rod in Alaska, I throw primarily sink tips, usually heavy one's. The more I use this rod the heavier its seems to me(weighs just over 10 oz's), and long days on the river take a toll on my shoulder. This rod is the slower action sage but even the faster action one weighs about the same. So anyway I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on other possible rods. Winston's web site says their 8/9wt weighs 7 3/4 oz??? How is that possible? Loomis rods are usually fast and light but for some reason they don't list the weights on their web site? Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2005, 07:06 PM

May I suggest that you consider spending a day with a good instructor rather than change rods? Even big, slow brutes like your Sage shouldn't be hard on the shoulders if cast in a relaxed fashion. Possibly some minor errors have crept into your casting stroke, causing the shoulder issues.

You don't mention which lines you're using but I find that heavy lines take a much greater toll on me than do big rods. This is one of the reasons why I switched mainly to shooting heads as they're quite light relative to other lines for the same rod. My 10 wt. uses 485 grain 36' heads, for example -- much easier on me to cast than the 50' head, 920 grain, BigBoy 400 + floater belly, that I had been using on that rod. The full sinking heads get down deeper to boot and are way easier on me to pull out of the water.

If you're not already doing so, try using more bottom hand and less top hand on the power stroke -- that's a shoulder saver too.

But of course, all this shoulder twinging might just be the ticket for a new stick so don't let me stand in your way.

While I haven't tried them all by any means, out of those big sticks that I have tried, I've found the lightest casting to be the Carron followed closely by the Loomis GLX Greaseliners, Snowbee XPS, and then a coin toss between T&T and Hardy Sirrus.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:13 PM

same dilemma

I also am looking for a decent 9 weight for stripers, blues, cuda, etc.. Although I am not looking for a spey rod. I have been looking at the G-loomis Cross Current 9 weight, 3 piece, which costs $365. Of course, the guy at the fly shop recommends that I spend the extra cash for the same rod, GLX version in a 4 piece, which costs a mere $655. Anyone have any recommendations for a decent 9 weight?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.