Landlocked Atlantics - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Certified Fish Nut

Landlocked Atlantics

I know this post doesn't belong in this forum; but, looking for anyone who's spent some time fishing the spawning run Landlocked Atlantics in the North East. I catch small fish here and there on nymphs and dries. Seems I just don't have the right patterns to entice the big guys.

Thanks for the help.
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2005, 08:43 AM

I guess your fishing the Lake Champlain tribs ?Try a Black Ghost or a Grey Ghost with a long hot orange throat. The fall runs have been rather dismal the past few years. Atlantics have been decimated by Lamprey and Cormorants.That being said,keep an ear to the ground for fish running in Nov. AND Dec. Last year fish seemed to have sneaked in overnight and all of a sudden redds appeared in back of the university in Plattsbourg. I only hope that the fantastic fishing on the lake this spring is an indication that a fair # of fish will run into the rivers this fall !
There at least two lurkers on this site that are VERY tuned into the L.C. tribs and I only wish they'd speak up !
The foot bridge at the mouth of the Saranac is always a good spot to find out what's going on .
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2005, 08:31 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar-1
There at least two lurkers on this site that are VERY tuned into the L.C. tribs and I only wish they'd speak up !
Cheers

Well...Oust them...post the names and phone numbers. HA I took a substantial fish, 23 inches first and last substantial fish on a blue charm hair wing Oct 6, 1999, I'll never forget it. Since then I have been up 1 time a year and only gotten dinks. That being said...there is a cold front coming Thursday and I think my day is Saturday. I try to check the Press republican, and the region 5 DEC report for NY, they usually hint at whats up. Is there any reliable shops in the area?
Old 10-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Certified Fish Nut

Shaq/Salar-1,
Thanks for the responses. Got tons of ghost patterns and will add Blue Charm to the tying list for the week...

Mallets Bay is my homeport for lake fishing and hit NY side (AuSable) frequently but don't know the tribs beyond what I've read on DEC website, Fran Betters writings, and other literature. In Burlington, the Classic Outfitters is a decent shop. I'll be popping in afterwork for some supplies and will see what they know.

I've been anticipating the upcoming cold front as well and plan to hit the Clyde River saturday morning. Heard of a few fish being caught there two weekends ago after the rains we got. Hopefully some good fish will be in the river. Last year I fished the Clyde twice using ghosts and other smelt patterns w/ no luck. Was very impressed w/ the qty of little 6-12" fish which readily hit sz 14-16 nymphs. The river is at least healthy. Spooked a nice fish 24"+ at the end of the day sitting in the shallows right at the trail head back to the parking lot. I was tired/frustrated and trudging thru the water on the way back to the jeep. I guess you can never give up...

Sunday I plan on exploring the NY tribs by making a loop around the lake. Saranac river in the AM, then AuSable, and last the Boquet. Shaq, If you do anything on Saturday let me know...
Old 10-05-2005, 04:01 PM

Finger lakes of New York are a great LLS fishery(best in the state, IMHO). The last year was tough(same overnight thing going on) and it hasn't started yet this year (should after this rain though). Fall Creek in Ithaca on Cayuga has the best access and best fishing. Good luck!!! I fish tan, black, chart. or purple bunny streamers most of the time on a floating line. My best was a 31.5" male in 2001 on a 1/0 Copper Killer(that's the biggest hook size you can use in the finger lakes). Most fish between 19-26", but we've seen fish over 30" every year.

This Fall I get to learn the fall fishery of Northern NH and Maine. Tips?

Good Luck!!!

Shahab
Old 10-05-2005, 04:43 PM

Brian -- where/when did you get that avatar picture of you (I assume it's you) in the Spit? V, IX, or XVI?

Fished a few times for LLS in Maine and usually did well on dead drift Kings River Caddis dries, skittered caddis, and Mickey Finns.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:55 PM

Peter
It's a Mk X1V. Belongs to Mike potter in Ottawa.He was very generous to allow folk to sit in it on B.O.B .day. Been trying the past hr to change it to a fish related pose but the little piccies came out like %$#@. I'll try again in the A.M. 'cause the SWMBO is enquiring from down the hall
Cheers
Old 10-05-2005, 08:05 PM

Didn't know that there were any Mk XIVs left that were airworthy -- nice to know -- thanks. Most airworthy Spits these days seem to be IXs or XVIs. I live 20 minutes from the CWH museum -- once in a while we see the Lanc fly over.

Are you swinging flies for LLS like you would for their salty cousins? If so, I'll have to try that next time I'm in Maine.

Last edited by peter-s-c; 10-05-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:33 PM

Peter
Yep I do fish for "niche (Franglais) for LLS exactly as for Atlantics
RE: the avator read the GNUZ from Quebec thread
Old 10-10-2005, 08:48 AM

Landlocks

Went searching Landlocks (Champlain tribs) in the high water. Found one 14 inch steelhead and one 16 inch brown trout. I had found some orange and yellow glow in the dark flashabou a while back and that mixed in the wing on a #2 AJ hook orange collar and black schlappen hackle did the trick in the stained water. used a 10 foot type 3 tip on my 6wt single hander. too little in some spots and too much in others. Water was rising and got chased off 2 tribs because of mud. but found some trout. The salmon must be in but we didn't see any.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:44 AM
loco alto!

I used to fish landlocked Atlantics around Ithaca NY using white marabou streamers topped with peacock herl. Nothing too fancy on the fly, but presentation was important, a good greased line show. Got a few nice ones skating stimulators in about #4. The locals all preferred green egg patterns, but streamers and dries worked quite well
Old 10-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Certified Fish Nut

I woke up under the weather this past weekend so bounced from bed to vice but never had the energy to make it to the water. I'm planning on going out Saturday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.