AWESOME time at Boneclave - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

AWESOME time at Boneclave

Weather was about as perfect as it could be, albies were literally exploding all over the place at times, and all the usual boneclave specialities like the depth of relaxation on the island, the incredible meals, the good friends, and thrill of the chase put this weekend's right up there among the best of boneclaves. Really put the icing on the cake to hook the green footballs on a fly.

I have to remember not to put my tent so close to the shoreline - the busting bass kept waking me up at night! Great seeing everyone again, man what a kickass weekend!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 04:25 AM

Good report. Looks like the timing was the key. Wish I could have been there. FishHawk.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:33 AM

This was a great Boneclave, great fishing for Fat Alberts (so many at times I could not decide where to cast), great food, amazing weather, and best of all wonderful company. This is my third calve and I saw more Albies in one pod then I've seen all together in the previous two.

A special thanks to Jim W. for all of the work he did organising before and during the clave. He held everything together went boats and traillers went down.

I'll get one next year.
Larry
Old 10-03-2005, 09:14 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

While I didn't hook any albies, it certainly wasn't for lack of opportunities, despite my abbeviated stay (Sat afternoon to Sunday early afternoon). Great time fishing, casting clinic with Juro, incredible feast and nightcaps. Mucho thanks to all involved. Will definitely bring an air mattress next time (hard ground to sleep on) so I can be a bit more alert spotting/casting to the busting fish...
Flydoc

Last edited by flydoc; 10-03-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:18 AM

As I've come to expect the Boneclave was great fun all around.

On the fish front if fortune didn't smile on me she certainly didn't frown. 1 fluke by spear while scuba diving, 1 albie on the fly and some nice feisty schoolie bass.

Thanks to all for making it a great trip. Special thanks to JimW for being soooo generous with his time, patience, boat and good cheer.

Looking forward to next year .... maybe the boat will work this time!

Gregg
Old 10-04-2005, 12:25 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Great Time, Awesome weather, lot's of Albies

I know it was certainly a great time. Weather was as good as it get's. Great to see all those who could make it. Lot's of great albie action, plenty of chances to hook up.

Food was great all though I missed the great feast running home to drop off my disabled boat and pick up the kayak. Beautiful midnight paddle accross the bay in the moonless black night with only starlight and lanterns to guide me.

It was a another great time with good friends from the FlyFishingForum that will be remembered for years to come.

Special Thanks to JimW for ferrying us around and getting us out fishing. Sunday I had my Kayak and found the Albies again, wore my self out chasing them and casting to them for hours. I can't wait to do it again next year!

Greg.

Last edited by GregD; 10-04-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:28 PM
LBFF Mojo

I had a great time at my first and defintely not my last bone clave. Great bunch of guys and the fodd was kick ass. A big thanks to Jim for the organization and thanks to both him and Tom for gettiing people out fishing and getting shots at some bones. Even though there were some boat issues for a couple guys I think everyone in attendance got some casts at some fish. They defintely got picky as the days went by but as a group we managed a good number of fish hooked.

I got a 10 second taste of a bone of the jetty on Sunday but it seems he knew right where the pole at the end of the jetty was and proceeded to break me off quickly. Still nice to hook up though.

Thanks Jim for the tour of Vineyard sound on Monday. No fishies but a beautiful boat ride. It was so glassy smooth out there we should have brought some water skis

-sean
Old 10-04-2005, 06:41 PM
_

Wow, sorry I missed this one. I knew it was gonna be a classic! This year sounds reminiscent of Boneclave 2000, when the weather was perfect and there were plenty of Spanish macks and albies. Good to hear that the albies made a good showing for you this year. Maybe I'll see them in RI .

Q
Old 10-05-2005, 04:24 AM

Sorry I missed this one. Had some things pop up at work, so that blew what I thought would only impact my early morning Friday plans. Turns out the issues continued I ended up having to go in early Saturday morning. Had truck packed with all my fishing gear and supplies packed just before noon, only to open our pop-up camper to find all my camping gear soaked due to a leak in the camper. At that point I threw in the towel - as the Saturday evening group dinner was out at that point.

Glad to hear that the fish gods were cooperating! It sounds like JimW did another great job of hosting the Boneclave. JimW thanks for doing all that hard work!

Dave

Last edited by fliboy; 10-05-2005 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:10 AM

Juro, thanks for getting the site none of this would have happened without that little spot on the island.

Tom - Thanks for putting in the extra effort with your boat, it was a quick ride accross the pond.

GregD - sorry we didn't tow you back to the site Sunday evening but I was trying to get Gregg out to the albies before the light failed. It didn't occur to me that you might be exhausted doing battle with all those boats where we were fishing.

Unfortunately the light was low, tide slackish and the funny fish didn't make a showing for Gregg and I on Sunday eve. It was a blast drifting the channel in total darkness nailing decent schoolies.

I think the albies switched baits part way through the weekend, it almost seems like the baitfish were shrinking. When I left them they were on EYES - these things didn't even have a body, might have hooked up by casting into the mouth of a feeding fish but beyond that I couldn't figure it out. So many shots, but the one I got was one hell of a fight.

You knew there were albies around when all the lines wrapped around the guides. Even after having numerous shots at these and SBFT I still manage to spaz on the first few casts.

Jfbasser - Thanks for the coaching on fly selection and IDing those fish for us Great fishing with you, albeit short lived.

Larry set us up for the duration with the feed of pulled pork and some killer slaw - it was great.

Pete - Jim - I've really got to hand it to you guys for paddling out with all your stuff.

Chuck - Thanks for driving my boat to give me a break.

It goes without saying that the food was outstanding. The weather - I don't think I've seen that many good days in a row in a long time. The seas were relatively calm, at times glassy with just enough wind to keep the skitters away.

Notes to self - Wacky tides are about 1.5- 2 hours behind Succonesset - middle of the running tide gave the most action - Bassfest either at dusk or the combo of dusk and beginning of the incoming on the outside corner of the cut. - I think I'll remember the fly that was productive - Stern anchor - Stern anchor - Stern anchor. - There are no green heads in October. - Maybe go with the 10wt next time. Albies like the sandbox. There are no fish at the Elizabeths.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.