Yellowstone Cutt's - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2005, 08:49 AM

Yellowstone Cutt's

Just got back from Montana last week and had some good fishing for cutt's. The Gray Drake hatch was fantastic in Yellowstone Park. Thought I would share a nice picture of an average sized fish just before he got put back.

Charlie

P.S. They are purdy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutt.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	5004  
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Fly chucker

They really live up to their name with those throat colors, huh?

I've never caught a cutt on a fly. Someday, someday....
Old 09-28-2005, 08:08 PM

Charlie,

For me the Yellowstone Cutt is one of the 3 most beautiful game fish in the world. The other two are the Mahi Mahi and the Eastern Brookie. Kind of funny but I lived in the interior of Yellowstone Park working for the Park Service for 7 years and I only went over to fish the Cutts once and yet I fly fished just about every day.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:59 PM

Beautiful fish.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:16 PM
LBFF Mojo

Nice fish Charlie. I love cutt fishing and am going to miss my favorite , the westslope , now that I am back east.

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2005, 09:49 AM

Sean,

But if you carefully look around the area you may find a pleasant surprise. Native brook trout that move between the salt and the rivers and small brooks. Tidal marshes though dangerous to fish because of quick mud can abound with enjoyment. Most gave up on salters years ago as development increased but I promise you these little fish are tougher than many think and still exist in just about every stream or herring brook that flows into a bay. I think they are the equal to the SCR.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:17 PM

Very Nice Cutt

We were in West Yellowstone for a week in the middle of Sept. The drakes were just starting to pop. We did well on hopper dropper rigs. The best dry fly fishing was on the Soda Butte. Is that where that fish came from? That river is full of bugs and nice sized cutts. The views looking east toward the beartooths are just majestic. Slough Creek trailhead was packed so we did not even bother. The browns were starting to move on the Madison but we were still a couple of weeks early. We had a fun day on the Gallitin and got to see wolves there. Henry's Fork was a bust. Everyone is saying that the fish numbers are way down. Great place to visit especially now that the crowds are gone.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:24 AM

Hey guys,

Brad,

That one came out of the Lamar just below Soda Butte.

Mark,

I know you’re a warm water guy but everyone should get to Yellowstone at some time in there life. I know you would love it.

Sean,

OC is right, the west cost is the west coast but there are some great opportunities near you. Wild brookies, stripers, large and smallmouth bass, some good tail waters, just have to look around.

Charlie.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Pullin' Thread

Charlie,

I have many found memories of catching those beautiful Yellowstone cutts in the Lamar during the years I lived in Montan. The Lamar is one of my favorite rivers within the park, which was never crowded back in the '80's even in the summer. I also have many fond memories of fishing the Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone just outside the park, east of Cooke City and catching the same fish. September on into October, before the heavy snows started, was one of my favorite times to fish in the park.

OC,

I agree, native brook trout are one of the most beautiful salmonids (especially when in spawning colors in the fall).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.