Back to the river - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2005, 07:30 PM
_

Back to the river

Fished the saltwater for the last few weekends but went back to the river today. Beautiful day and a few fish too! I'm still addicted to the foam head diver and that's all I used today. Got a fat little bass and a bluegill right away, then lost the diver to an acrobatic 24" pike. Creamed the fly, did a backflip and cut the 40# fluoro leader like it was 6# test. Tied on another diver and got another fat bass, slightly bigger than the first, and had four or five pike hits and brief hookups/LDRs. Great day on the river!

Q
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2005, 08:25 AM

Seems like trips to those favorite WW spots ere even sweeter in the fall when you know you are runing out of time. I'd be interested in seeing a picture /getting the recipe for that Diver if you get the chance. I'm mostly a Gurgler &lefties bug guy myself when fishing the top for smallies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2005, 09:06 AM
_

WH,

Photos and recipe are in the warmwater fly archives here.

The one I lost yesterday was a little different. I used olive superhair for the "tail" and divided it into 2 sections to look like frog legs, added olive marabou for the collar and used a white diver head with the top 2/3 of the head colored olive with a magic marker. Total length was about 3".

The colored marker, eyes, krystal flash and even the collar are really optional. In a pinch, I tied up a "quickie" with just the fish hair tail and foam diver head and it works just as well:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bass1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	4987  
Old 09-25-2005, 08:03 PM

Thanks Quentin, guess I should have searched there first. Oddly enough, I already have more than a few of something very similar tied up. Particularly like those style heads backed with a 3" bunny strip tail when I'm throwing my larger bugging rods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.