Vineyard this weekend? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2005, 06:56 PM

Vineyard this weekend?

I'm planning on heading over in a friend's 18' Parker for a long weekend. We'll be moored in Menemsha, but we'll also have a car, so shore fishing anywhere on the island is a possibility.

It seems that lips are pretty tight since it's the derby(we're not entering) but I'm looking for any advice/hints I can get. We're hoping to get into some albies & bones, but we're not picky- tips on anything that'll pull would be great.

-Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Fly chucker

Good luck to you Matt. I've never fished the island before, and hope to someday soon.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:03 AM

You're in a great area to start, if it's not blowing to bad on Saturday you can explore the coast if it is, Menemsha is one of the great shore spots. Do a search on this site for vineyard and you should score some info. In the boat I'd bang a right out of Menemsha and work along the coast, check out Tashmoo and then the rips off West chop (middleground) another option would be to shoot across to the Elizabeths.
Be careful out there and post your results good or bad - we've got an outing to that general area and could use some intel. Anything specific can be handled through PM.

Good luck.

BTW - we got into the sbft a while back off Gayhead, don't know if they are around that way anymore but you never know.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the info Jim. We've done the trip in the past without the boat and had pretty good fishing right off the Jetty from Menemsha and a couple of other well known shore spots around the island.

As for the Elizabeths- We were thinking about checking out Sow & Pigs, but it seems like all you ever hear about the place (besides the huge fish) is doom & gloom about sinking your boat. What is it that makes the place so dangerous?

It'd be pretty great to get into some bluefin close to shore, but I'm not going to hold my breath- I will keep my eyes peeled though.

We're launching out of Green Pond, so I'll definitely do some recon for the Boneclave and report back next week.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:00 AM

Matt,
I've only been around and through the Elizabeths a few times myself so I really cannot give you any advice on S&P. Given the forcast for Saturday I'd be very very careful near any of the rips. Sometimes things are fine and dandy one minute and go downhill quick when the wind picks up or the current changes. Personally I'd stick very close to shore, there's good fishing on the flats up in Menemsha.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:33 AM

Jim, thanks for the reply. We're going to be down until tuesday or wednesday, and were only thinking of a trip over there if we get a good weather day, otherwise our plan is to stick close to shore around the island.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:20 AM

Well, I'm finally back from MV- the winds kept the boat on the mooring Monday and Tuesday, but we got in a good day ahead of the blow on Sunday, and did a lot of shore fishing Mon & Tues.

We found the bass and blues to be very cooperative, but the albies were a lot tougher than in years past- just didn't get too many good shots and only landed a couple. Tons of peanuts in all the ponds meant that the jetties were the place to be early & late, with fish up inside during low light. From the boat we found some good bass out at devil's bridge- our first couple of casts resulted in a pair of 30+" fish. We also found scattered albies & bones outside at state beach- not really concentrated enough to fish successfully- but that didn't stop the run & gun fleet.

Overall, it wasn't as good a trip as we've had in the past, but I think a lot of that was the miserable wind- there was a gale warning for a good part of the time we were down there.

I'll post some pics later when I hook up the camera.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:12 PM

Matt,
Thanks for the info. It sounds like you guys made out quite well considering the weather. Nothing wrong with a couple of 30's Looking forward to the pics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.