North Shore 9/18 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
North Shore 9/18

Sorry for the late report..but better late than never they say. Birds, Blues, and Decent bass ravaging baby bunker from 4 til the tide turned at 6:05pm Sunday. Its been like that for a few days I hear. Typical north shore fall...drive, spot, launch, cast, wzzzzzzzz...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Yak?

The launch part makes me think that you had the yak - yes?

If so then feel free to tell me all about how I am a jackass for leaving my yak at home for the last 4-5 trips. I could have caught 3 times the fish that I caught on those trips with the yak.

I was poisoned by a few trips in a row where the schools came to my feet at the shore.

I am trying a few spots tomorrow morning before work from the yak. I hope to fully learn my lesson by seeing backing.

Mike
Old 09-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Shark Bait

Yeah, sorry, Yak for sure. I can't remember the last time I shore fished . Always have the yak with me and I figure at least its a little excersize!

On a side note, i've only ever seen my backing once or twice with the yak. I find that with the 20lb tippet and a good tight drag, I really only get towed around. I guess that may be due to the relatively shallow water I normally fish. Or, the lack of true bruisers...
Old 09-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Gotta love the yak....

Fished on shore for a while last night. 5 smallish but fiesty bass to hand and I was loving life.

But with the sheer quantity of birds on the rocks I knew that I had missed the real party.

So I launched the yak before sunrise at this same spot. I was immediately greeted by busting fish and then more busting fish.

An epic day.

I caught loads of bass and donated tackle to loads of blues. It was awesome. Best day of the year for me...well except for one wrinkle.

After catching one nice hog bass I hooked into something big. Based on the amount of time that I had this fish on and the angle of some of the runs it took I believe that it was a bass. But with the 25 pound flouro maybe it was a blue. No head shakes like the previous bass. At one point, after some monster soundings at the yak, I was getting nervous. I had stuck the rod straight into the water for over 30 seconds in an effort to prevent a good high sticking. I did not want to break my beloved BL5.

When I gained back some line I noticed that the tip of my Winston rod was detached. It was dangling by the little thread otherwise known as 25 pound flouro (left over from tuna time). I thought, gee, if the line breaks then I lose my rod tip. Snap. Fish sounds hard I am too slow and I lose the tip of my 10 weight.

I was laughing at the misfortune. But the day was just too sweet to be upset. Afterwards I proceeded to donate the 5 rubber bunker that I had in my possession to the blues and bass.

Picked clean of rod and bunker I decided to try one last technique to catch some fishies. I trolled a mushmouth on my spinning rod as I came to shore. One fat ass blue later (lost at the side of the yak) I called it a day.

Simply awesome. Acres of bass and blues North Shore style.

And for all of you that are curious: I was fishing in NH.

Very glad to have taken the yak today.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 09-22-2005, 03:17 AM
Squire animal

Guys

Is there anywhere you can you rent kayaks down near Chatham?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Shark Bait

Plenty of places to rent...problem i've found is getting them from a rental place to the water. need a vehicle for that! Check the sponsors for some cape cod kayak places.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.